NY
✟37,154.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Does anyone have examples of God sparing people form death in the New Testament? Similar to the story of Jonah in how how relented judgment in Nineveh due to them repenting? It seems most of the NT talks about eternal life but did god ever spare physical life due to repentance? We know he ended due to sin (Herod and Anais and Sapphire)

Hammster

Psalm 144:1
Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2007
New Jerusalem
Visit site
✟1,729,629.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
Does anyone have examples of God sparing people form death in the New Testament? Similar to the story of Jonah in how how relented judgment in Nineveh due to them repenting? It seems most of the NT talks about eternal life but did god ever spare physical life due to repentance? We know he ended due to sin (Herod and Anais and Sapphire)
Well, I’d say everyone who was alive. ;)

Upvote 0

Carl Emerson

Dec 18, 2017
Auckland
✟380,460.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
This passage in Acts 8 seems to indicate the matter you raise.

9Now there was a man named Simon, who formerly was practicing magic in the city and astonishing the people of Samaria, claiming to be someone great; 10and they all, from smallest to greatest, were giving attention to him, saying, “This man is what is called the Great Power of God.” 11And they were giving him attention because he had for a long time astonished them with his magic arts. 12But when they believed Philip preaching the good news about the kingdom of God and the name of Jesus Christ, they were being baptized, men and women alike. 13Even Simon himself believed; and after being baptized, he continued on with Philip, and as he observed signs and great miracles taking place, he was constantly amazed.

14Now when the apostles in Jerusalem heard that Samaria had received the word of God, they sent them Peter and John, 15who came down and prayed for them that they might receive the Holy Spirit. 16For He had not yet fallen upon any of them; they had simply been baptized in the name of the Lord Jesus. 17Then they began laying their hands on them, and they were receiving the Holy Spirit. 18Now when Simon saw that the Spirit was bestowed through the laying on of the apostles’ hands, he offered them money, 19saying, “Give this authority to me as well, so that everyone on whom I lay my hands may receive the Holy Spirit.” 20But Peter said to him, “May your silver perish with you, because you thought you could obtain the gift of God with money! 21“You have no part or portion in this matter, for your heart is not right before God. 22“Therefore repent of this wickedness of yours, and pray the Lord that, if possible, the intention of your heart may be forgiven you. 23“For I see that you are in the gall of bitterness and in the bondage of iniquity.” 24But Simon answered and said, “Pray to the Lord for me yourselves, so that nothing of what you have said may come upon me.”

Upvote 0

Halbhh

Everything You say is Life to me
Site Supporter
Mar 17, 2015
catholic -- embracing all Christians
✟1,159,906.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Ok, it's maybe not just what you mean -- you mean here and now -- but in the first moment what I thought of: the thief on the cross. He was previously on the way to the 2nd death -- real death -- and instead was forgiven, and then was on the way to Life -- real Life. Just worth considering a moment. And helpful in a way:

Since Christ came, it seems evil is no longer (unlike before) going to be punished from above before this life ends. (it's notable, but now quite the same thing, that sons and daughters will be sometimes disciplined, and that can seem like punishment) The rules about when full justice happens have been altered (or...made more clear and visible). Now, it's after this temporary life.

Matthew 5:45 that you may be sons of your Father in heaven. He causes His sun to rise on the evil and the good, and sends rain on the righteous and the unrighteous.

In a profound way then, the ultimate situation is still very much the same! -- Those that repent are forgiven!

8If we claim to be without sin, we deceive ourselves and the truth is not in us. 9If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just and will forgive us our sins and purify us from all unrighteousness.
1 John 1 NIV

This means just what it says (and it's very good to read both chapter 1 and 2 fully, to verify it for yourself) -- we are to confess major wrongs, so that we can be cleansed and restored. As an ongoing rule for us, the saved.

Upvote 0

Josheb

Christian
Site Supporter
Jan 3, 2014
NoVa
✟166,989.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Does anyone have examples of God sparing people form death in the New Testament?
You mean like the woman caught in adultery (and the adulterer found with her)?
Similar to the story of Jonah in how how relented judgment in Nineveh due to them repenting? It seems most of the NT talks about eternal life but did god ever spare physical life due to repentance? We know he ended due to sin (Herod and Anais and Sapphire)
Different contexts.

We have extra-canonically the destruction of Jerusalem in 70 a.d. Jesus and all the NT writers frequently spoke of the coming destruction, warning those who did not repent would suffer and many would be destroyed. As far as I know there's no record of any convert to the way ever dying in that judgment.

Upvote 0

Mathetes66

Site Supporter
Feb 24, 2019
Pacifc Northwest
✟90,217.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
The man in I Cor 5 was turned over to the devil for the destruction of his body if he didn't repent. He later did & Paul talks about restoring this person back into the body of Christ in 2 Cor 2:6-8.

Those who took heed to Paul's admonition in I Cor 11 concerning the Lord's Supper.

Those who called for the elders in James 5 when sick.

David didn't die when he committed murder & adultery; God was merciful although he did bring judgments into his life afterwards.

Enoch was just taken. Elijah went up in a chariot of God.

Quite a few more but that is what I can think of off the top of my head.

Upvote 0

com7fy8

May 22, 2013
Massachusetts
✟586,678.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I think of 1 Timothy 2:1-4. This says for us to pray for any and all people. It can be our prayer is helping to spare people who could die as a consequence of their sinning. But in such a case, perhaps we could say God spares ones we pray for . . . because of our repentance, which helps to make us so we in Jesus are heard by God :)

Upvote 0

Bob Carabbio

Old guy -
Dec 22, 2010
Glenn Hts. TX
✟35,409.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

He spared YOUR LIFE after you Sinned the first time, and every time afterwards to give YOU the opportunity to become born again. It's called GRACE (undeserved favor).

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

TommySoda

Apr 14, 2018
NY
✟37,154.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
The man in I Cor 5 was turned over to the devil for the destruction of his body if he didn't repent. He later did & Paul talks about restoring this person back into the body of Christ in 2 Cor 2:6-8.

Those who took heed to Paul's admonition in I Cor 11 concerning the Lord's Supper.

Those who called for the elders in James 5 when sick.

David didn't die when he committed murder & adultery; God was merciful although he did bring judgments into his life afterwards.

Enoch was just taken. Elijah went up in a chariot of God.

Quite a few more but that is what I can think of off the top of my head.
Do you have any more New Testament examples

Upvote 0

Mathetes66

Site Supporter
Feb 24, 2019
Pacifc Northwest
✟90,217.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
TommySoda: "Do you have any more New Testament examples?"

Thanks for asking Tommy! Practice Acts 17:11 and maybe you can show me some, too!

Thinking again off the top of my head, I think of the Passover in Exodus when God spared the Jews & some Egyptians from the angel of death that passed over, bringing death to the first born of man and beast--if they applied the blood of an innocent & unblemished lamb to their doorposts, picturing Christ's sacrifice--the Lamb of God, that takes away the sin of the world.

Paul the apostle was spared death many times, one time being let down in a basket & escaping the city & another time when a small boy told of a plot to kill Paul to the authorities & they took Paul, their prisoner, by another route & another time. Here are some others.

Acts 27:6-44 Here Paul, a prisoner, guarded by a centurion & soldiers, on a boat, was spared along with the rest of the crew & prisoners when the boat ran aground in a terrible storm. Paul had warned them not to travel but they did anyway & God was merciful to Paul & the rest of the crew & the centurion, in sparing their lives.

Acts 28:2ff Here Paul is again spared from dying by the Lord when he is bit by a poisonous snake, doing a good deed in gathering firewood for a fire to keep people warm after being in the water & it continuing to rain. The natives expected him to swell up & suddenly fall down dead (like everyone else that got bit by these snakes) but he did not. God was not done using Paul for His glory & preaching the gospel.

Barabbas was spared death when the Jews chose Jesus to die on the cross & allowed Barabbas to be set free.

There are some more! Thanks for asking.

Upvote 0