Jun 18, 2004
✟12,721.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
THE ORDER OF CONFESSION
(A short form)

While the Penitent is waiting for the Priest to hear his confession, he will say to himself the "Trisagion Prayers," then:
I have sinned, O Lord, forgive me. O God be merciful to me a sinner.

When the Penitent's turn comes, he will go forward and kneel in the proper place, and say to the Priest:
I, a sinner, confess to Almighty God, the Lord, One in the Holy Trinity, to the immaculate Virgin Mary the Theotokos, to all the Saints, and to you, my Spiritual Father, all my sins: (The Penitent will then mention whatever sins he may have commited, concealing nothing; following he will say) For these and for all my other sins which I cannot now remember, I am heartily sorry that I have offended God, Who is good, and angered Him against me: I sincerely repent, and promise with the help of God to better my way of life: wherefore I humbly ask thee, my spiritual Father, saving penance and absolution.

The Priest then places the end of his Stole upon the head of the Penitent. Here the Priest may question the Penitent, or give such advice and Penence as may be necessary; then he continues with the following:
Priest: Let us pray to the Lord.

O Lord God, the Salvation of Thy servants, gracious, bountiful and long-suffering, who reppentest thee concerning our evil deeds, and desires not the death of a sinner, but rather that he should turn form his wickedness and live: Show thy mercy upon thy servant, N., and grant unto him an image of repentance, forgiveness, of sins, and deliverance, pardoning his every transgression, whether voluntary or involuntary. Reconcile and unite him unto thy Holy Church, through Jesus Christ our Lord, to whom also with thee, are due dominion and majesty: now and ever and unto ages of ages. Amen

The Priest places his right hand upon the Stole, making the Sign of the Cross over the head of the Penitent, and pronounces the Absolution:
Priest: God it was who forgave David through Nathan the Prophet, when he confessed his sins, and Peter weeping bitterly for his denial, and the sinful woman in tears at his feet, and the Publican, and the Prodigal Son: May that same God forgive thee all things, through me a sinner, both in this present world, and in that which is to come, and set thee uncondemmed before his dread Judgement Seat. And now, having no further care for the sins which thou hast declared, depart in peace.

Then the Priest allows the Penitent to depart with this blessing:
Priest: May Christ, our true God, through the intercessions of his most Holy Mother, and of all the Saints, have mercy on us and save us, for as much as he is God and loveth mankind. Amen.

The Penitent returns to his seat and gives thanks to God for His goodness, by saying the following:
O almighty and merciful God, I truly thank thee for the forgiveness of my sins; bless me O Lord, and help me always, that I may ever do that which is pleasing to thee, and sin no more. Amen.