Jan 4, 2008
✟7,200.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
"Wow, this is pretty despicable. Woman captivates thousands in anti-abortion movement with false story of difficult pregnancy

There was only one problem with the unfolding tragedy: None of it was true.

Not the pregnancy, and not the photos posted on the blog of the supposed mother and Baby April Rose, swaddled in white blankets. The baby was actually a lifelike doll, which immediately raised the suspicion of loyal blog-followers.

She had expected only a handful of friends to read it, but when her first post got 50 comments, she was hooked. "I've always liked writing. It was addictive to find out I had a voice that people wanted to hear," Beushausen said. "Soon I was getting 100,000 hits a week, and it just got out of hand," she said. "I didn't know how to stop. ... One lie led to another."
So the lie isn't the problem, but the fact that she got addicted to blogging made her continue on. What a sad and disgusting tale. Using a phony story to whip up the anti-choice movement is pretty vile. A woman has the right to choose in this country, but the religious right will do anything it can to try and take that right away. You never hear them talk about the mother in any of their debates. It's like the woman is only a "vessel" to carry a child and doesn't exist in any other manner. "Bring the vessel here." "How dare the vessel speak out."
Hullabaloo calls them moral midgets."

Anti-choice movement gets duped in a Blogger Baby Hoax | Crooks and Liars

What in the blue blazes is the matter with these people?

Copperpennies12

Jul 14, 2004
✟15,310.00
Marital Status
Private
"Wow, this is pretty despicable. Woman captivates thousands in anti-abortion movement with false story of difficult pregnancy

There was only one problem with the unfolding tragedy: None of it was true.

Not the pregnancy, and not the photos posted on the blog of the supposed mother and Baby April Rose, swaddled in white blankets. The baby was actually a lifelike doll, which immediately raised the suspicion of loyal blog-followers.

She had expected only a handful of friends to read it, but when her first post got 50 comments, she was hooked. "I've always liked writing. It was addictive to find out I had a voice that people wanted to hear," Beushausen said. "Soon I was getting 100,000 hits a week, and it just got out of hand," she said. "I didn't know how to stop. ... One lie led to another."
So the lie isn't the problem, but the fact that she got addicted to blogging made her continue on. What a sad and disgusting tale. Using a phony story to whip up the anti-choice movement is pretty vile. A woman has the right to choose in this country, but the religious right will do anything it can to try and take that right away. You never hear them talk about the mother in any of their debates. It's like the woman is only a "vessel" to carry a child and doesn't exist in any other manner. "Bring the vessel here." "How dare the vessel speak out."
Hullabaloo calls them moral midgets."

Anti-choice movement gets duped in a Blogger Baby Hoax | Crooks and Liars

What in the blue blazes is the matter with these people?
Perhaps the same thing that is wrong with those who believe that there is no baby in the womb rather just a mass of cells.

BBC NEWS | Health | 'I survived an abortion attempt'

Upvote 0

The Nihilist

Contributor
Sep 14, 2006
✟16,289.00
Faith
Atheist
Though she lied, the moral is still the same. Life always deserves every chance!
Yes, life always deserves every chance. So tell me, friend, what actions do you undertake to oppose the death penalty and the two wars we're currently fighting? Or does this particular ethic only apply on the inside of the hooha, and not on the outside?

Reactions: Risen Tree
Upvote 0

Supernaut

What did they aim for when they missed your heart?
Jun 12, 2009
Sacramento, CA
✟12,439.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
These are not even close to the same, friend. If someone commits a crime that is punishable by death, then they know what they are up against. Times of war are always different. Death is commonplace(yes i hate war but see its point) and the soldiers know what they are signing up for. As for the child...what crime did they commit? What war have they signed up for?

Upvote 0

SallyNow

Blame it on the SOCK GNOMES!
May 14, 2004
Canada
✟18,878.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
It's terrible that the woman lied, but unless she's a really horrible person, she might have just done this out of pain, for attention, or out of a mental illness or something, so the public shaming might not be appropriate.

Though she lied, the moral is still the same. Life always deserves every chance!

What about ectopic pregnancies? There has been a handful that have survived, but in almost every case, the woman dies unless the fetus is removed. What about the children who are starving? The "life deserves a chance" crowd seems to often talk about fetuses, but not much about the children that need homes. I'm not saying that abortion is great, but I am saying that the Republican party seems to focus a lot on fetuses and oil, and seems to think that it's up to the parents to decide if and how a born child lives (with the exception of outright murder, which of course the Republican party is against)

Upvote 0

The Nihilist

Contributor
Sep 14, 2006
✟16,289.00
Faith
Atheist
These are not even close to the same, friend. If someone commits a crime that is punishable by death, then they know what they are up against. Times of war are always different. Death is commonplace(yes i hate war but see its point) and the soldiers know what they are signing up for. As for the child...what crime did they commit? What war have they signed up for?
So what you meant to say was that every life provisionally deserves a chance, instead of always. Got it.

Upvote 0

SallyNow

Blame it on the SOCK GNOMES!
May 14, 2004
Canada
✟18,878.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private

Children die in war, not just soldiers. What crime did those already-born children commit?

Upvote 0

Supernaut

Jun 12, 2009
Sacramento, CA
✟12,439.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
True. Many injustices happen in war by all involved. I trust that they are in the Lords care after death. They were not targeted specifically though (in most wars) so it is still not the same as abortion.

Upvote 0

The Nihilist

Contributor
Sep 14, 2006
✟16,289.00
Faith
Atheist
True. Many injustices happen in war by all involved. I trust that they are in the Lords care after death. They were not targeted specifically though (in most wars) so it is still not the same as abortion.
Ok, so every life provisionally deserves a chance, unless it gets killed on accident, because then god will take care of them which is better anyway, but still worse if it's on purpose. Does that sum up your position?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Risen Tree

previously Rising Tree
Nov 20, 2002
Georgia
✟18,382.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Democrat

Interesting that you would condone death like this yet claim to be a member in one of the most liberal denominations of Christianity.

So it's okay for someone to die in combat, as long as he or she is not a soldier.

Upvote 0

Risen Tree

previously Rising Tree
Nov 20, 2002
Georgia
✟18,382.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Democrat
Ok, so every life provisionally deserves a chance, unless it gets killed on accident, because then god will take care of them which is better anyway, but still worse if it's on purpose. Does that sum up your position?

Yes.

Upvote 0

Supernaut

Jun 12, 2009
Sacramento, CA
✟12,439.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others

Life deserves a chance. Yes. If they are killed by accident then yes God will take care of them. It is better to be with Him although, not until our alotted time.

Upvote 0

Risen Tree

previously Rising Tree
Nov 20, 2002
Georgia
✟18,382.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Democrat
Life deserves a chance. Yes. If they are killed by accident then yes God will take care of them. It is better to be with Him although, not until our alotted time.

Before "our allotted time," it is better to be apart from God?

Upvote 0

Supernaut

Jun 12, 2009
Sacramento, CA
✟12,439.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Interesting that you would condone death like this yet claim to be a member in one of the most liberal denominations of Christianity.

So it's okay for someone to die in combat, as long as he or she is not a soldier.

The UCC is more liberal than I am on certain issues. I happen to love the community church i attend regularly.

Death in war happens...I am not saying I like it...but it is inevitable. Better to be saved just in case!!!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

The Nihilist

Contributor
Sep 14, 2006
✟16,289.00
Faith
Atheist
Except you don't really believe that. You actually believe what I facetiously attributed to you early. If you actually believed what you say you believe, that EVERY life ALWAYS deserves a chance, you would have serious moral issues with both war and the death penalty.

Upvote 0

rambot

Apr 13, 2006
Up your nose....wid a rubbah hose.
✟368,409.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Greens
What I stated earlier was in reference to abortion. I am able to discern between abortion/war/death penalty. Anything else?
Well, when you say "life" and not specify what kind of life, you have to forgive the reader for thinking you are referring to every type of human life.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.