New York
✟30,779.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
because then bullying is immaterial to suicide.

But there will be no real martyrs for homo rights; only invented ones.

You implication appears to be that homosexuality itself would account for the disordered mind, as opposed to the fact that abuse, bullying, trauma, crisis etc.. can lead to depression and suicidal ideation.

I'm not sure what "homo" rights are "homo" is just a prefix or root. As for "martyrs" dead children are not martyrs, they're preventable tragedies. Martyrs knowingly give themselves to a cause or belief, murdered and suicidal children are victims of cruelty.

Upvote 0

Genersis

Person of Disinterest
Sep 26, 2011
London
✟38,700.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
UK-Labour
You implication appears to be that homosexuality itself would account for the disordered mind, as opposed to the fact that abuse, bullying, trauma, crisis etc.. can lead to depression and suicidal ideation.

I'm not sure what "homo" rights are "homo" is just a prefix or root. As for "martyrs" dead children are not martyrs, they're preventable tragedies. Martyrs knowingly give themselves to a cause or belief, murdered and suicidal children are victims of cruelty.

Couldn't of put it better myself.

Upvote 0

Merope

Apr 29, 2011
✟1,726.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
wanderingone said:

Agreed. The problem as I see it are the special interest political groups (which call themselves Christian) who want to talk out of both sides of their mouth. They say of course bullying gay or lesbian children is wrong but fight tooth and nail to keep schools from making bullying against gay and lesbian students punishable.

Upvote 0
U

UnamSanctam

Agreed. The problem as I see it are the special interest political groups (which call themselves Christian) who want to talk out of both sides of their mouth. They say of course bullying gay or lesbian children is wrong but fight tooth and nail to keep schools from making bullying against gay and lesbian students punishable.

ANY kind of bullying should be punishable, no?
Or is it only homophiles who should be immune, while all others are fair game?

Upvote 0

Glass*Soul

Senior Veteran
May 14, 2005
✟31,902.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
If you don't want to be held to an absolute definition of the word, then stop using it in the context of an absolute. When you say things like "Christians are intolerant bigots" without giving any further reasoning, then we can only assume you are arguing that tolerance is inherently a good thing. If you are not arguing that tolerance is inherently a good thing, then you need to give further explanation.

Contrast that with the conservative arguments: Society should not tolerate homosexual behavior because it is extremely unhealthy, because it is a strong risk factor for various STDs, because it is a strong risk factor for mental illnesses, because it is a strong risk factor for depression and suicide, because it is a strong risk factor for partner abuse, a strong risk factor for sexual abuse of children, and all sorts of other things.

I don't believe I've ever said, "Christians are intolerant bigots."

Tolerance is a good thing when it is practiced within the bounds of compassion for one's fellow human beings. There is no call to treat it as an absolute. Empathy, tolerance, forgiveness and forbearance all lose their effectiveness when they are reduced to absolutes, yet without them we find ourselves inflicting misery upon one another.

Upvote 0
U

UnamSanctam

I don't believe I've ever said, "Christians are intolerant bigots."

Tolerance is a good thing when it is practiced within the bounds of compassion for one's fellow human beings. There is no call to treat it as an absolute. Empathy, tolerance, forgiveness and forbearance all lose their effectiveness when they are reduced to absolutes, yet without them we find ourselves inflicting misery upon one another.

So.....your point is:
"I'm tolerant towards those I agree with - but not towards those I do not agree with"?

Once again a "Hypocrisy-level: Over 9000"-worthy post.

Upvote 0

Merope

Apr 29, 2011
✟1,726.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single

Outside of school in the adult world "bullying" would be termed: assault, menacing, terroristic threatening, harassment, slander, etc. In other words: a crime. If we are going to be consistent in our opposition to that sort of behavior then those students who commit these kinds of acts should be prosecuted. Barring that, all school districts need to have clearly defined disciplinary codes that strongly condemn bias-based bullying.

Upvote 0

Daniel25

Mar 1, 2011
✟1,091.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
Outside of school in the adult world "bullying" would be termed: assault, menacing, terroristic threatening, harassment, slander, etc. In other words: a crime. If we are going to be consistent in our opposition to that sort of behavior then those students who commit these kinds of acts should be prosecuted. Barring that, all school districts need to have clearly defined disciplinary codes that strongly condemn bias-based bullying.

in the adult world people bully each other all the time. Its adverse socialization, and it maintains behavior norms, and gets things done.

Historians Caro and Dallek consider Lyndon Johnson the most effective Senate majority leader in history. He was unusually proficient at gathering information. One biographer suggests he was "the greatest intelligence gatherer Washington has ever known", discovering exactly where every Senator stood, his philosophy and prejudices, his strengths and weaknesses, and what it took to break him. Robert Baker claimed that Johnson would occasionally send senators on NATO trips in order to avoid their dissenting votes. Central to Johnson's control was "The Treatment", described by two journalists:
The Treatment could last ten minutes or four hours. It came, enveloping its target, at the Johnson Ranch swimming pool, in one of Johnson's offices, in the Senate cloakroom, on the floor of the Senate itself — wherever Johnson might find a fellow Senator within his reach.Its tone could be supplication, accusation, cajolery, exuberance, scorn, tears, complaint and the hint of threat. It was all of these together. It ran the gamut of human emotions. Its velocity was breathtaking, and it was all in one direction. Interjections from the target were rare. Johnson anticipated them before they could be spoken. He moved in close, his face a scant millimeter from his target, his eyes widening and narrowing, his eyebrows rising and falling. From his pockets poured clippings, memos, statistics. Mimicry, humor, and the genius of analogy made The Treatment an almost hypnotic experience and rendered the target stunned and helpless.

President Johnson giving "The Treatment" to Senator Richard Russell in 1963.

Upvote 0

wanderingone

I'm not lost I'm just wandering
Jul 6, 2005
New York
✟30,779.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

Yes - all bullying should be punishable, unfortunately far too often schools fail to "recognize" bullying when the victim is gay or perceived to be gay. We live in a fairly inclusive city, yet when I attempted to get the school to address the bullying I got a lecture about my daughter's clothing choices. Everything she wore was in compliance with the school's dress code, but apparently the administrators I spoke to felt that her clothing was to blame for her being targeted for abuse. The only reason we succeeded in getting any action was that several students went too far, and committed a criminal offense that led to a police investigation.. and all the bullying came out.

While I and 2 other parents were trying to get help for what was happening to our children 7 other children were removed from the school for bullying... but their bullying was based on ethnicity and religion. One administrator actually told the police that it was simply easier to take action when the victims were "innocent" as in cases of racism. Apparently being labeled gay made my daughter and 2 other students something other than "innocent".

It shouldn't have taken a violent act against my daughter to get the bullying addressed.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
U

UnamSanctam

It shouldn't have taken a violent act against my daughter to get the bullying addressed.

Agreed!
ALL bullying is wrong - and needs to be clamped down on - for whatever reason! What I'm having issues with, is this demand that bullying of homophiles be treated as something particularly horrible, compared to bullying of goths, geeks, Christians, or anyone else who're "different"

Upvote 0

Gadarene

-______-
Apr 16, 2012
London
✟82,747.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
UK-Labour
UnamSanctam said:
Agreed!
ALL bullying is wrong - and needs to be clamped down on - for whatever reason! What I'm having issues with, is this demand that bullying of homophiles be treated as something particularly horrible, compared to bullying of goths, geeks, Christians, or anyone else who're "different"

It's not that the bullying is more horrible, it's that it's harder for bullying against gays to be taken seriously. That's the difference.

There are no 'Don't say goth' or 'Don't say geek' bills being proposed.

Upvote 0

Ave Maria

Ave Maria Gratia Plena
May 31, 2004
Diocese of Evansville, IN
✟108,681.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Honestly, what did this guy expect when he started ranting and raving against Christianity? I would have walked out too and if a ticket had been purchased to see him speak, I would have demanded a refund.

Upvote 0
U

UnamSanctam

So then, you are completely tolerant of all points of view?

That depends on what you think "tolerance" is.
If you define "tolerance" as "agreeing", then no. But that's a very poor definition.
If you define "tolerance" in the same way that Voltaire did (" I detest what you write, but I would give my life to make it possible for you to write."), then yes. Freedom of expression must also apply to those with whom one vehemently disagrees.
Now that we're in the business of appropriate quotes:
"First they came for the communists"...

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Hisbygrace

Carried On The Wings Of An Eagle
Sep 22, 2004
California
✟158,418.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Politics
US-Democrat
MOD HAT ON

After reviewing the thread staff has reached consensus
to keep it permanently closed for the following reasons:

Topics Requiring Special Consideration:
Abortion; Adultery or Premarital Sex; Homosexuality; Illegal Activity; Other Religions; On-Line Deliverance; Professional Counseling; Prophecy

● Do not promote homosexuality on Christian Forums. Homosexuality can only be discussed, without promotion, in
Christian Communities and Faith Groups. Homosexuality may also be discussed in the Recovery and Ask a Chaplain forums solely for the purpose of seeking support with struggles overcoming same-sex attractions, and homosexual issues.
**Promotion is defined as encouragement of the progress, growth, or acceptance of something including advertising and publicity.

Flaming
● Do not insult, belittle, mock, goad, personally attack, threaten, harass, or use derogatory nicknames in reference to other members or groups of members. Address the context of the post, not the poster.
● If you are flamed, do not respond in-kind. Alert staff to the situation by utilizing the report button. Do not report another member out of spite.
● Do not state or imply that another member or group of members who have identified themselves as Christian are not Christian.

MOD HAT OFF

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.