Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
ROME – A consistory, the event in which a pope creates new cardinals, is always a carefully choreographed bit of theater, with production values rivaling any Broadway musical. In that spirit, if the Sept. 30 consistory announced today by Pope Francis were to be set to music, there would be a clear choice for its signature tune.

You could almost hear it blaring in the background as Francis spoke during his Sunday Angelus address: “I want it all, and I want it now”, the classic rock anthem by Queen – a song, appropriately enough for an event to be celebrated in the Vatican, which was part of a 1989 album titled “The Miracle.”

This is, in other words, the consistory of a pope in a hurry.

With the picks announced Sunday, which include 18 new cardinals under the age of 80 and thus eligible to take part in a conclave to choose a new pope, the number of cardinal-electors will swell to 137 – though that’s a bit of a technicality, since the next day Cardinal Patrick D’Rozario of Bangladesh will turn 80, thus making it 136 electors. (Of course, should Cardinal Angelo Becciu be acquitted in the Vatican’s “trial of the century” and his voting privileges restored by the pope, then we’d be back to 137.)

Continued below.