Country
Canada
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
I wonder if anyone ever says "the Gospel, aka Arminianism." Just a thought.
Soitenly! I have heard Arminianism taught, explained or preached and that teaching was called the Gospel.

Nyuk-nyuk-nyuk!

jm

Upvote 0

Cshuffle777

May 6, 2020
Right there
✟13,683.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Soitenly! I have heard Arminianism taught, explained or preached and that teaching was called the Gospel.

Nyuk-nyuk-nyuk!

jm
I don't think I made my point. If you held a gun to my head and asked me which view of Soteriology I subscribed to, I'd probably be compelled to answer with something like "Arminianism." But I don't think it's ever occurred to me to equate it with the Gospel, ante omnia.

Upvote 0

Cshuffle777

May 6, 2020
Right there
✟13,683.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
I've often said that I would consider Calvinism if I could find just 2 persons who agree upon exactly what it is. That's mostly hyperbole, there, but I truly don't get it. I can understand that being omniscient and eternal, God can foresee (not to be confused with "predict," as so many do) all things. It just doesn't logically follow (to my mind's capacity) that this somehow renders Him incapable of eschewing and therefore never having desired or willed the evil that we see before us. Call me stupid (more hyperbole), but I just don't get it.

Upvote 0

JM

Augsburg Catholic
Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2004
Canada
✟747,724.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
I don't think I made my point. If you held a gun to my head and asked me which view of Soteriology I subscribed to, I'd probably be compelled to answer with something like "Arminianism." But I don't think it's ever occurred to me to equate it with the Gospel, ante omnia.

I understood it, I was just having a laugh.
I've often said that I would consider Calvinism if I could find just 2 persons who agree upon exactly what it is. That's mostly hyperbole, there, but I truly don't get it. I can understand that being omniscient and eternal, God can foresee (not to be confused with "predict," as so many do) all things. It just doesn't logically follow (to my mind's capacity) that this somehow renders Him incapable of eschewing and therefore never having desired or willed the evil that we see before us. Call me stupid (more hyperbole), but I just don't get it.

Calvinism, Reformed theology, is summed up in the Reformed Confessions. In this tabular comparison of the three major confessions of Reformed, Calvinistic soteriology you'll see that they agree.

Tabular Comparison of 1646 WCF, 1658 Savoy Declaration, the 1677/1689 LBCF, and the 1742 PCF

Dr. Beeke's harmonization includes even more Reformed confessions and demonstrates their unity.

Reformed Confessions Harmonized (Beeke & Ferguson, eds.)

Yours in the Lord,

jm

Upvote 0