Another thing I don't understand about the creationist position...

Status
Not open for further replies.

dlamberth

Senior Contributor
Site Supporter
Oct 12, 2003
Oregon
✟733,230.00
Faith
Other Religion
Politics
US-Others
Ancient beliefs like, say, Genesis?
Not only Genesis, but all of the ancient creation stores. Google "various creation stores". Quite a few pop up. But to the question asked, being a Christian Forum...Yes, in this case, Genesis.

Upvote 0

Platte

Jul 14, 2020
Virginia
✟24,593.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Someone explain this please:

The use of various radioisotopes allows the dating of biological and geological samples with a high degree of accuracy. However, radioisotope dating may not work so well in the future. Anything that dies after the 1940s, when Nuclear bombs, nuclear reactors and open-air nuclear tests started changing things, will be harder to date precisely.

Upvote 0

Hammster

Psalm 144:1
Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2007
New Jerusalem
Visit site
✟1,729,629.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
Not only Genesis, but all of the ancient creation stores. Google "various creation stores". Quite a few pop up. But to the question asked, being a Christian Forum...Yes, in this case, Genesis.
In Genesis 3:1, the serpent asked the question “did God really say?” That trick still works, apparently.

Upvote 0

driewerf

a day at the Zoo
Mar 7, 2010
✟260,984.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
What God says he did trumps what it looks like He did.
Do I understand you well that when we see scratched rocks from previous ice ages, we have to tell ourselves that these scratches aren’t there?
Do I understand you well that when we see the neutron star from a previous supernova, he have to tell ourselves that that neutron star isn’t real?
Do I understand you well that when we observe magnetic reversals in the ocean floor millions of years old, we have to tell ourselves that these reversals aren’t there?

Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,910,879.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Do I understand you well that when we see scratched rocks from previous ice ages, we have to tell ourselves that these scratches aren’t there?
Do I understand you well that when we see the neutron star from a previous supernova, he have to tell ourselves that that neutron star isn’t real?
Do I understand you well that when we observe magnetic reversals in the ocean floor millions of years old, we have to tell ourselves that these reversals aren’t there?

What you see (the hardware), and what you write on paper (the software) are not the same as what God said He did.

Reactions: Platte
Upvote 0

Hammster

Psalm 144:1
Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2007
New Jerusalem
Visit site
✟1,729,629.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
Nothing millions of years old has ever been observed.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,910,879.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Oh yes. Plenty of things.

Diamonds weren't created ex materia in an instant, were they?

They take forever and a day to form, don't they?

Else God put them there to deceive us, right?

Upvote 0

dlamberth

Senior Contributor
Site Supporter
Oct 12, 2003
Oregon
✟733,230.00
Faith
Other Religion
Politics
US-Others
What you see (the hardware), and what you write on paper (the software) are not the same as what God said He did.
The hardware (geology of the Earth) can be and is reversed engineered for us to plainly examine how and when it was put together. The results of which tells a very different story than the Genesis Creation story. That story can not be reversed engineered because there's no supporting hardware that supports it.

Upvote 0

Hans Blaster

Rocket surgeon
Mar 11, 2017
USA
✟301,129.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Someone explain this please:

The use of various radioisotopes allows the dating of biological and geological samples with a high degree of accuracy. However, radioisotope dating may not work so well in the future. Anything that dies after the 1940s, when Nuclear bombs, nuclear reactors and open-air nuclear tests started changing things, will be harder to date precisely.

Atomic tests (not reactors) do affect C-14 dating, but not other radiometric dating techniques. (This is because C-14 is made in the atmosphere by irradiation.)

The error bars (which are part of *any* measurement*) limit the accuracy of the age for things that are that young regardless of the nuclear weapons tests.

C-14 dating uses calibration to translate measured dates into actual dates to compensate for known variations in the natural (and artificial) C-14 abundance in the atmosphere. The actual C-14 abundances in the atmosphere during recent years is well known and will provide a good baseline for future C-14 dating measurements.

Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,910,879.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
The hardware (geology of the Earth) can be and is reversed engineered for us to plainly examine how and when it was put together.

The standards used to reverse engineer something though, is predicated on deep time and preconceived starting points.

Note how I handled Thaumaturgy's argument here: Post 69

Upvote 0

dlamberth

Senior Contributor
Site Supporter
Oct 12, 2003
Oregon
✟733,230.00
Faith
Other Religion
Politics
US-Others
The standards used to reverse engineer something though, is predicated on deep time and preconceived starting points.

Note how I handled Thaumaturgy's argument here: Post 69
So basically there's a denial of what's staring at us right in front of our eyes.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,910,879.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
So basically there's a denial of what's staring at us right in front of our eyes.

What is "staring at you right in front of your eyes" is what has been written down on paper.

As I pointed out with the mountains of Tibet, you don't know where those mountains originated.

You just know where they are now.

Upvote 0

driewerf

a day at the Zoo
Mar 7, 2010
✟260,984.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Diamonds weren't created ex materia in an instant, were they?
Indeed.
They take forever and a day to form, don't they?
The natural ones, indeed. We can make diamonds industrially now, much faster.

Else God put them there to deceive us, right?
In reality. No.
But it is a logical inconsistency of your theology. One you can't make go away.

Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,910,879.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Indeed.

The natural ones, indeed. We can make diamonds industrially now, much faster.

In reality. No.
But it is a logical inconsistency of your theology. One you can't make go away.

How about oil?

Same questions.

1. Oil wasn't created ex materia in an instant, was it?

2. Oil takes forever and a day to form, doesn't it?

3. Else God put it there to deceive us, right?

Upvote 0

driewerf

a day at the Zoo
Mar 7, 2010
✟260,984.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
How about oil?

Same questions.

1. Oil wasn't created ex materia in an instant, was it?

2. Oil takes forever and a day to form, doesn't it?

3. Else God put it there to deceive us, right?
Same questions, same answer, except that there we can't make artificial oil (as far as I know).

Upvote 0

dlamberth

Senior Contributor
Site Supporter
Oct 12, 2003
Oregon
✟733,230.00
Faith
Other Religion
Politics
US-Others
What is "staring at you right in front of your eyes" is what has been written down on paper.

As I pointed out with the mountains of Tibet, you don't know where those mountains originated.

You just know where they are now.
I'm pretty sure you know the geological movement of plate tectonics that built up the Tibetan mountains.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.