Another stage fright thread

G

Godislove94

Stage fright has been something that has frustrated me my entire life, and it's even more so now that I'm going to college for music performance (ironic, hehe). Today I had to play in front of people in one of my music classes and even though it was okay, I still think it could have been a lot better but my nerves killed everything I had worked on in rehearsal.

I was thinking about this today and there were some scriptures that hit me in the face about it, so I have an idea of what to do but do you have any other suggestions as to how to control this? For once I just want to give a performance that actually shows that I've worked on something but isn't butchered by a freak out.

mattr61

ChristianPlaywright
Nov 4, 2014
El Paso, TX
Visit site
✟7,635.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Hi Godislove!

The power of Scripture is a pretty amazing thing (Hebrews 4:12). Scripture and prayer is going to be your best and most practical way of working through these fears, especially if you feel the Lord has led you into music performance. Consider also that in your weakness, He is made strong (2 Corinthians 12:9-11). As a fellow performer and one who has experienced what you are feeling, I want to encourage you that it does gets better. It may not ever go away, but it gets better. Keep performing. Make Christ the center of your passion. Because then all that matters is if He is pleased. To God be the glory forever and ever :).

I'm praying for you, right now.

Upvote 0

keith99

sola dosis facit venenum
Jan 16, 2008
✟321,545.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Stage fright has been something that has frustrated me my entire life, and it's even more so now that I'm going to college for music performance (ironic, hehe). Today I had to play in front of people in one of my music classes and even though it was okay, I still think it could have been a lot better but my nerves killed everything I had worked on in rehearsal.

I was thinking about this today and there were some scriptures that hit me in the face about it, so I have an idea of what to do but do you have any other suggestions as to how to control this? For once I just want to give a performance that actually shows that I've worked on something but isn't butchered by a freak out.

Can you go camping with friends and play the guitar and sing while sitting around a campfire without freaking out?

If no (other then you don't play guitar) I've got nothing.

If yes then try to figure out why it seems different to you. Then try to improve at the margin. Find the performing situations where you are comfortable and then figure out what will make yuo a little uncomfortable and do that. You just might find in a bit you are comfortable there, then time to move on to something that remains uncomfortable.

Oh and you can work from the other side too. If you try a situation where you are uncomfortable use a performance that you are exceptionally comfortable with.

Oh one last thing. Figure out if having friends in the audience makes it better or worse for you and then encourage your friends to make the decision that will help you on that count.

Upvote 0