Visit site
✟727,630.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced
Paul wrote a sarcastic letter to the people of Corinth. Much of what he said is applicable today. He rebuked them for accepting "another Jesus". I see a lot of the same problem today.

The modern Jesus has been adapted by some to meet the "needs" of the world. Some pastors do surveys to find out what kind of church the locals want. It works, naturally enough. But what are they getting?

Sadly,for some the modern Jesus is fat-free, lo-cal, gluten free, low GI, progressive, totally woke, and pretty much nothing like the real Jesus, the King of Kings and Lord of Lords.

Or we can find a "McJesus", one that you can serve up hot and quick. You can tailor make the McJesus to suit yourself. Don't like something? Just delete it.

Lord Jesus is not a chameleon, adapting to the world's morality to make the gospel more palatable. The gospel should be offensive, it should convict, it should condemn sin and the sinner. Only then will people cry out, "What must I do to be saved?" Then we must introduce them to the real Jesus. If we do not know the real Jesus ourselves, what hope has the sinner got?

Tolworth John

Site Supporter
Mar 10, 2017
Tolworth
✟369,679.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
A large part of the problem is the inability of the people sitting in church to read what the Bible says.
Jesus taught in parables which are confusing, but the letter are very clear about holy living condeming drunkenness, sexual promiscuity, dishonesty etc etc etc.

They get a dinner down Jesus because that is what they want.

Upvote 0

Aussie Pete

Site Supporter
Aug 14, 2019
Frankston
Visit site
✟727,630.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced
A large part of the problem is the inability of the people sitting in church to read what the Bible says.
Jesus taught in parables which are confusing, but the letter are very clear about holy living condeming drunkenness, sexual promiscuity, dishonesty etc etc etc.

They get a dinner down Jesus because that is what they want.
Agreed. Add rank hypocrisy from supposed leaders in the church and you get the mess we have today. The good news is that it is coming to an end. Judgement begins with the house God. Many are talking about an end times harvest. It will not be more of what we have now, that is for sure. It's time for Christians to get real or get out.

Upvote 0

crossnote

Berean
Site Supporter
May 16, 2010
So. Cal.
✟250,751.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
There is also :
The Rotary Club/Lodge Jesus
The 'God helps those who help themselves' Jesus
The 'Moses we keep' Jesus
The 'We four and no more' Jesus
The 'God's bendable Word' Jesus
The 'Yes I can' Jesus...
All "another Jesus".

Upvote 0

K2K

Jul 21, 2010
✟50,646.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Paul wrote a sarcastic letter to the people of Corinth. Much of what he said is applicable today. He rebuked them for accepting "another Jesus". I see a lot of the same problem today.

Was Paul being sarcastic? And did Paul rebuked them for accepting "another Jesus"?

1 Cor 11:14 For if one comes and preaches another Jesus whom we have not preached, or you receive a different spirit which you have not received, or a different gospel which you have not accepted, you bear this beautifully.

The fact is that Paul didn't "rebuke them for accepting another Jesus" but instead Paul wrote "If" one comes and preaches another Jesus!! So it doesn't read that they did and thus need to be rebuked!!! But it is caution and awareness to make sure someone doesn't come and do that!

Paul wasn't being sarcastic - he was trying to be helpful. So how did we misread that? Are we trying to be helpful to others so as to make them aware of the possible problem, or are we accusing the saints? They were saints because Paul noted that they had not received a different spirit but only that they needed to be aware so that it didn't happen.

I see no indication that Paul was rebuking them, but rather that he was trying to teach and counsel them. Paul certainly was not saying that they had received and different spirit (another Jesus) but rather Paul noted that they had not received a different spirit or different gospel. Compare what Paul wrote and how he handled the situation with how we sometime handle situations.

Upvote 0

Aussie Pete

Site Supporter
Aug 14, 2019
Frankston
Visit site
✟727,630.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced
Was Paul being sarcastic? And did Paul rebuked them for accepting "another Jesus"?

1 Cor 11:14 For if one comes and preaches another Jesus whom we have not preached, or you receive a different spirit which you have not received, or a different gospel which you have not accepted, you bear this beautifully.

The fact is that Paul didn't "rebuke them for accepting another Jesus" but instead Paul wrote "If" one comes and preaches another Jesus!! So it doesn't read that they did and thus need to be rebuked!!! But it is caution and awareness to make sure someone doesn't come and do that!

Paul wasn't being sarcastic - he was trying to be helpful. So how did we misread that? Are we trying to be helpful to others so as to make them aware of the possible problem, or are we accusing the saints? They were saints because Paul noted that they had not received a different spirit but only that they needed to be aware so that it didn't happen.

I see no indication that Paul was rebuking them, but rather that he was trying to teach and counsel them. Paul certainly was not saying that they had received and different spirit (another Jesus) but rather Paul noted that they had not received a different spirit or different gospel. Compare what Paul wrote and how he handled the situation with how we sometime handle situations.
Your logic evades me. If Paul was talking about a hypothetical, how did he know how they would respond? I've been born again for 48 years and I've seen a lot in that time. I know what Paul is talking about. I've been surprised at what has been uncritically accepted by supposedly spiritually mature Christians. I've fallen for the "prosperity" gospel myself. The Lord opened my eyes to see the error in it.

Upvote 0

K2K

Jul 21, 2010
✟50,646.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Your logic evades me. If Paul was talking about a hypothetical, how did he know how they would respond? I've been born again for 48 years and I've seen a lot in that time. I know what Paul is talking about. I've been surprised at what has been uncritically accepted by supposedly spiritually mature Christians. I've fallen for the "prosperity" gospel myself. The Lord opened my eyes to see the error in it.

There is a problem when a Christian says "I know" and the problem is that he didn't say "The Lord knows".

Paul can put out a "hypothetical" (if that is what you what to call the Lord asking you to write something which you do not now the full implication of yet) because Paul was not looking to himself but to the Lord.

Prov 17:13 The refining pot is for silver and the furnace for gold,
But the LORD tests hearts.

We Christians should know that the Lord is making something in us, and if in us then in other believers also!

The Corinthians were believers!! Paul clearly explained that they were in his letter to them. So then- were not tests coming to them?

Discerning between spirits is something the Spirit of God gives us, but how? We know the Lord is our Teacher. We know the Spirit brings us the words of the Lord to our spirit. So isn't the gift of discernment something obtain at least piratically from being taught.

James 1:5 But if any of you lacks wisdom, let him ask of God, who gives to all generously without reproach, and it will be given to him.

The Lord reproves those He loves, but He does not "Rebuke". He convicts us but does not condemn us. He teaches and tests and does His work in us. Any claiming to be a Christian should certainly understand that simply by what they see being done in themselves. So if Paul was correct, and they were Christians and they did not have that evil spirit that some seem to have implied they did; then the Lord was using Paul to reprove and set up a test for them, not to rebuke and say they were of the enemy.

Do we still not know that God is love? Do we still not understand that we are His children and so He teaches, and of course tests us like any teacher. So are we really surprise the Paul proclaimed ahead of the test that some would come preaching another Jesus? Does a teach test you on something that you had not already been told about. Most every teacher I knew gave us information by which we could pass the test if we listened to before the test. If you want to call that "hypothetical" - ok. But that letter was presented to you so the real question for you is how did you do on the test? Did you notice that the Corinthians were Christians and did not have the "another Jesus" spirit? So what about those churches and others "Christians" of today? How well did you do recognizing them?

• Agree
Reactions: Eha
Upvote 0

Aussie Pete

Site Supporter
Aug 14, 2019
Frankston
Visit site
✟727,630.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced
There is a problem when a Christian says "I know" and the problem is that he didn't say "The Lord knows".

Paul can put out a "hypothetical" (if that is what you what to call the Lord asking you to write something which you do not now the full implication of yet) because Paul was not looking to himself but to the Lord.

Prov 17:13 The refining pot is for silver and the furnace for gold,
But the LORD tests hearts.

We Christians should know that the Lord is making something in us, and if in us then in other believers also!

The Corinthians were believers!! Paul clearly explained that they were in his letter to them. So then- were not tests coming to them?

Discerning between spirits is something the Spirit of God gives us, but how? We know the Lord is our Teacher. We know the Spirit brings us the words of the Lord to our spirit. So isn't the gift of discernment something obtain at least piratically from being taught.

James 1:5 But if any of you lacks wisdom, let him ask of God, who gives to all generously without reproach, and it will be given to him.

The Lord reproves those He loves, but He does not "Rebuke". He convicts us but does not condemn us. He teaches and tests and does His work in us. Any claiming to be a Christian should certainly understand that simply by what they see being done in themselves. So if Paul was correct, and they were Christians and they did not have that evil spirit that some seem to have implied they did; then the Lord was using Paul to reprove and set up a test for them, not to rebuke and say they were of the enemy.

Do we still not know that God is love? Do we still not understand that we are His children and so He teaches, and of course tests us like any teacher. So are we really surprise the Paul proclaimed ahead of the test that some would come preaching another Jesus? Does a teach test you on something that you had not already been told about. Most every teacher I knew gave us information by which we could pass the test if we listened to before the test. If you want to call that "hypothetical" - ok. But that letter was presented to you so the real question for you is how did you do on the test? Did you notice that the Corinthians were Christians and did not have the "another Jesus" spirit? So what about those churches and others "Christians" of today? How well did you do recognizing them?
Very early in my Christian life I realised that there were all kinds of cults and false teachings. Fundamentally I knew zip about what real Christianity was. I asked God to show me what was real and what was false. When you ask God for something, unless there is a real good reason to reject the request, He will grant it. I have the gift of discernment and it has been honed for 48 years. Your analysis of Paul's rebuke of the Corinthians makes no sense to me.

It is more than possible for Christians to be deceived. It is happening now. Christians all over the world fell for the deception of the "Toronto Blessing". Much gospel preaching is false and the "other Jesus" preached way too often. So yes, it is possible for Christians to accept another Jesus. Oh, it will look like the real thing to a degree. Satan is not stupid. But there is always a give away to those who are discerning.

Upvote 0

yeshuaslavejeff

simple truth, martyr, disciple of Yahshua
Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist

GOOD!

Upvote 0

K2K

Jul 21, 2010
✟50,646.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I have a problem when people go "I know"

Paul address that problem, and interestingly he address it in a letter to the Corinthians!!

1 Cor 8:2 If anyone supposes that he knows anything, he has not yet known as he ought to know;

You run across these all knowing "Christians" telling you how with all their experience they know that things like what today call 'speaking in tongues' is from the devil along with all that other Charismatic goop. They have the gift of discernment, but don't believe in the gifts of the Spirit??? What sense does that make? None, but if their faith is in themselves it is going to make sense to them.

The OP presented the church of Corinth as being followers of "another Jesus", which was not hard to reprove with the Scriptures, but is someone so set in his ways going to accept the reproof? A wise person would. God reproves those He loves and He loves those that listen to Him. Thru Malachi God said "Yet I have loved Jacob; but I have hated Esau". And thru John we read "Those whom I love, I reprove and discipline; therefore be zealous and repent" (Rev 3:19)

There is wisdom that you should get in time, simply by being around the Lord and listening to Him. Solomon was said to have been the wisest person to ever live and his wisdom increase came from God and increased with time. He wrote Proverbs then later wrote Ecclesiastes which has a greater wisdom.

In Ecclesiastes we read things like Ecc 3:11 He has made everything appropriate in its time. He has also set eternity in their heart, yet so
that man will not find out the​
work which God has done from the beginning even to the end.

So what of a self proclaimed wise man that says he knows that the Toronto Blessing was not from God and that the church of Corinth followed another Jesus. Both those statement contradict the Bible in that the Bible states that the church of Corinth did had not accepted "another Jesus" and that "man will not find out the work which God and done from beginning even to the end."

The Bible clearly states that if anyone suppose he knows anything he does not yet know as he ought!! and it just happens to be in the writings to the church at Corinth, as if God knew exactly where to put it.

The Lord has been in my life for twenty years now and the more I listen to Him the more I understand that it is not about my understanding, it is about His. What king Solomon wrote in Ecclesiastes make more and more sense to me. I read about a wise king who sought the voice of the Lord for wisdom and got much but ultimately it wasn't ever about the wisdom that he could obtain but about trusting in God to do wise things.

Something happened at the Corinth, and it sure looks like God was highly involved there!! And something happened and a church in Toronto and they were both called "Christian" churches!!

I don't know what all happened but I am sure the God does, even though no man does!!

The Lord once told me, "Karl - Understanding is understanding that I am God" So what can you do but to seek Him and listen? Still, even that is like striving after the wind.

Ecc 7:13 I tested all this with wisdom, and I said, "I will be wise,' but it was far from me.

• Agree
Reactions: Eha
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Eha

Jan 6, 2020
Tallinn
✟30,373.00
Country
Estonia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Paul wrote a sarcastic letter to the people of Corinth. Much of what he said is applicable today. He rebuked them for accepting "another Jesus".
i also do not see sarcasm in those letters, but worried man for church, that was much gifted and loved Jesus.
There were errors in there, but dont you get errors, get wrong sometimes?
Why we need reproving and teaching from God, if we are OK with blink of eye, soon we accept Jesus as our Lord and Savior?

about sarcasm and rebuking:

2 Cor 3:
2 You yourselves are our letter of recommendation, written on our hearts, to be known and read by all. 3 And you show that you are a letter from Christ delivered by us, written not with ink but with the Spirit of the living God, not on tablets of stone but on tablets of human hearts.

Last edited:
Reactions: K2K
Upvote 0

Aussie Pete

Site Supporter
Aug 14, 2019
Frankston
Visit site
✟727,630.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced
i also do not see sarcasm in those letters, but worried man for church, that was much gifted and loved Jesus.
There were errors in there, but dont you get errors, get wrong sometimes?
Why we need reproving and teaching from God, if we are OK with blink of eye, soon we accept Jesus as our Lord and Savior?

about sarcasm and rebuking:

2 Cor 3:
2 You yourselves are our letter of recommendation, written on our hearts, to be known and read by all. 3 And you show that you are a letter from Christ delivered by us, written not with ink but with the Spirit of the living God, not on tablets of stone but on tablets of human hearts.
Sure, there are errors in every fellowship from time to time. It's a sad reflection on modern Christianity that so much moral laxity is tolerated. I've been born again for 48 years. I've watched the church decline in that time. What I wrote was to address a couple of the reasons.

Upvote 0

Dave-W

Welcoming grandchild #7, Arturus Waggoner!
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Maryland - just north of D.C.
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Anything other than an Orthodox Jewish Jesus (Yeshua) is a false messiah. Part of the reason you find the parables confusing is you are NOT an orthodox Jew. In fact most of the parables were already familiar to His followers, having been retold and repurposed from the Jewish sages of the previous century.

Reactions: Soyeong
Upvote 0

jahel

returned to old acct
Nov 18, 2019
Vancouver
✟26,770.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Anything other than an Orthodox Jewish Jesus (Yeshua) is a false messiah. Part of the reason you find the parables confusing is you are NOT an orthodox Jew. In fact most of the parables were already familiar to His followers, having been retold and repurposed from the Jewish sages of the previous century.
^ what does that have to do with 2 Cor 5
Therefore from now on we recognize no one according to the flesh; even though we have known Christ according to the flesh, yet now we know Him in this way no longer?
The therefore is according to the ministry of reconciliation which is the crux of the whole NT as to the two becoming one.

In a sense I agree with the rest of the statement because the Jews did have the oracles whereas the Samaritans did not understand Who they worship. But still some of the greater revelation came to the Samaritans perhaps just for that reason. familiarity plus pride will always breed contempt.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Dave-W

Welcoming grandchild #7, Arturus Waggoner!
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Maryland - just north of D.C.
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
It
In a sense I agree with the rest of the statement because the Jews did have the oracles
DO (present tense) have the oracles per Romans 3:1—3.

Romans 11.29 says that gifting is irrevocable.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

jahel

returned to old acct
Nov 18, 2019
Vancouver
✟26,770.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
It

DO (present tense) have the oracles per Romans 3:1—3.

Romans 11.29 says that gifting is irrevocable.
Yes, that can never be taken from them. I think Psalms 116 refers in verse 11 to what Paul was saying in Romans 3:4

• Agree
Reactions: Dave-W
Upvote 0

jahel

returned to old acct
Nov 18, 2019
Vancouver
✟26,770.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Jesus Christ is the same yesterday today and forever. Heb 13.8
Except He is in the resurrected body that in our case must wait for the final resurrection to obtain to adoption of the flesh. Romans 8:23
and more as to the Israelites according to flesh
9:4 They are Israelites, and to them belong the adoption, the glory, the covenants, the giving of the law, the worship, and the promises; 5 to them belong the patriarchs, and from them, according to the flesh, comes the Messiah, who is over all, God blessed forever.

Upvote 0

Aussie Pete

Site Supporter
Aug 14, 2019
Frankston
Visit site
✟727,630.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced
So you have your own Jesus who is not the one in the gospels? You know, the one who spoke in parables to confuse the religious, the self righteous, and the Jews generally?

Luke 8:10 "He replied, “The knowledge of the mysteries of the kingdom of God has been given to you, but to others I speak in parables, so that, ‘Though seeing, they may not see; though hearing, they may not understand.'"

Upvote 0

Soyeong

Mar 10, 2015
Hudson
✟284,522.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single

The modern Jesus has been adapted by some to meet the "needs" of the world. Some pastors do surveys to find out what kind of church the locals want. It works, naturally enough. But what are they getting?

Sadly,for some the modern Jesus is fat-free, lo-cal, gluten free, low GI, progressive, totally woke, and pretty much nothing like the real Jesus, the King of Kings and Lord of Lords.

Or we can find a "McJesus", one that you can serve up hot and quick. You can tailor make the McJesus to suit yourself. Don't like something? Just delete it.

Lord Jesus is not a chameleon, adapting to the world's morality to make the gospel more palatable. The gospel should be offensive, it should convict, it should condemn sin and the sinner. Only then will people cry out, "What must I do to be saved?" Then we must introduce them to the real Jesus. If we do not know the real Jesus ourselves, what hope has the sinner got?

Jesus did not come to start his own religion following a different God, but rather he came to bring fullness to Judaism as its Jewish Messiah in fulfillment of Jewish prophecy. He practiced Judaism by living in sinless obedience to the Torah and by teaching his followers how to obey it by word and by example. All Christians were Torah observant Jewish for roughly the first 7-15 years after Christ's resurrection up until the inclusion of Gentiles in Acts 10, so Christianity at its origin was the form of Judaism that recognized Jesus as its Messiah in fulfillment of Jewish prophecy. He began his ministry with the Gospel message to repent from our sins for the Kingdom of God is at hand (Matthew 4:17-23) and the Torah was how his audience knew what sin is, so repenting from our disobedience to it is an integral art of the Gospel of the Kingdom, which he prophesied would be proclaimed to all nations before the end (Matthew 24:12-14). Our salvation is from sin and sin is defined as disobedience to the Torah (1 John 3:4), so it is impossible to remove our need to live in obedience to the Torah from the concept of being saved from living in disobedience to it. This is the real Jesus.

Upvote 0