Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
It is a false patience and pastoral concern that … stays silent or speaks in abstractions while the slaughter continues with the full endorsement of Catholic politicians,’ Bishop Thomas Olmsted said

PHOENIX, Arizona, May 11, 2021 (LifeSiteNews) — Bishop Thomas Olmsted of Phoenix has called for public figures and other self-professed Catholics who promote abortion to be denied Holy Communion.

“Woe to us bishops if we do any Catholic who participates in the act or publicly supports it by word or action,” Olmsted said in a statement on Thursday.

Echoing his recent apostolic exhortation, Venemur Cernui, he suggested that Catholics cannot “publicly disagree with the Church on abortion while continuing to claim their Catholic Faith and receive Our Lord in the Most Blessed Sacrament.”

The bishop also endorsed a pastoral letterreleased by Archbishop Salvatore Cordileone of San Francisco earlier this month, calling it “a powerful defense of the Church’s teaching on the dignity of all human life, which logically and morally requires a consistent condemnation of abortion.” The letter stresses that pro-abortion Catholics “should not come forward to receive Holy Communion” and that excommunication can serve as a “medicine of last resort” for dissident politicians.

Continued below.
Another bishop calls for pro-abortion ‘Catholics’ to be denied Communion

Ave Maria

Ave Maria Gratia Plena
May 31, 2004
Diocese of Evansville, IN
✟108,671.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I completely agree with this. If a person is Catholic and they are promoting abortion then they definitely should not be allowed to receive the Eucharist. As a matter of fact, I would personally take a stronger position and say that public leaders who identify as Catholic but still support abortion ought to be excommunicated.

Upvote 0

Stabat Mater dolorosa

Jesus Christ today, yesterday and forever!
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Somewhere up North
✟294,001.00
Country
Norway
Faith
Traditional. Cath.
Marital Status
Single
I completely agree with this. If a person is Catholic and they are promoting abortion then they definitely should not be allowed to receive the Eucharist. As a matter of fact, I would personally take a stronger position and say that public leaders who identify as Catholic but still support abortion ought to be excommunicated.

Absolutely! Bye Bye to all the wolves in sheeps clothing! Arrivideci, adieu, auf wiedersehn, på gjensyn :wave:

• Agree
Reactions: Ave Maria
Upvote 0