Visit site
✟11,502.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Democrat
I want to start praying the daily office as found in the 1979 USA BCP, and I want to use my anointing oil to anoint myself every day. Is there an appropriate place during the Rite II morning and evening prayers to do so? Maybe there is a good prayer to use during the free intercession ( maybe A Prayer of Self Dedication, #61 on pg. 832 of the 1979 BCP?). Or would somewhere else work better?

Reactions: archer75

Shane R

Priest
Site Supporter
Jan 18, 2012
Southeast Ohio
✟567,160.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Widowed
I want to start praying the daily office as found in the 1979 USA BCP, and I want to use my anointing oil to anoint myself every day. Is there an appropriate place during the Rite II morning and evening prayers to do so? Maybe there is a good prayer to use during the free intercession ( maybe A Prayer of Self Dedication, #61 on pg. 832 of the 1979 BCP?). Or would somewhere else work better?
That is an odd idea. Anointing oneself is comparable to baptizing oneself. In both cases, the usual custom has been for the rite to be performed by another for you. And what is the purpose of a daily anointing? Again, that is much like returning to the font repeatedly. There are oils consecrated for different purposes but I don't know how any of them would be appropriate for daily use unless, perhaps, the recipient suffered from chronic illness.

Upvote 0

Unlearner

Servant of God, Basil
Nov 19, 2016
San Antonio
✟26,233.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married

I'm not Episcopalian so I have no right to question what you do or do not do in your personal prayer life, but it seems from the rubrics on p. 453 that anointing is either done privately in the context of a priestly visit or publicly in the context of a Eucharist.

Upvote 0

everbecoming2007

Dec 4, 2012
wherever I am at any given moment
✟70,470.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
There might be something appropriate that would honour the intention behind your idea, though. Maybe you could use holy water?

I like this. The intent of the original post seems to be to find a way to ask God's blessing in a tangible way. That is not a silly idea. It's just that Anglicans differ in some respects from some charismatics in how they do that. The sign of the cross and holy water if desired are acceptable ways to honor that intention in an Anglican context.

Upvote 0

ByronArn

Charismatic Episcopalian
Jul 28, 2011
Ohio, USA
Visit site
✟11,502.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Democrat
There might be something appropriate that would honour the intention behind your idea, though. Maybe you could use holy water?
My parish is between priests right now, but maybe i could talk the supply priests who come in every other week to making me some holy water? I'll have to look into this...

Upvote 0