Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
My ninth wedding anniversary is coming up next week, and I am so lucky and blessed to be in this situation.
However, I am stumped for an anniversary gift. My wife is difficult to buy for: she almost always claims not to want anything, and almost never buys herself anything.
I try to stick to the traditional anniversary gifts, and the traditional gift for a ninth anniversary is pottery. My wife's only real hobbies are fitness and gardening, but I can't think of anything non-utilitarian that is made of pottery.
I am rather embarrassed to have to ask for help, but that's what I'm doing. Any ideas???

MKJ

Contributor
Jul 6, 2009
East
✟23,894.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Greens
Pottery - any kind of pottery that is really beautiful is more than utilitarian. Something like a gorgeous pitcher maybe?

If you want to go in another direction, how about a spa gift certificate? Maybe for a package that includes a massage, pedicure, and facial, or whatever she would enjoy.

Or a certificate for an activity - a day of golf, a helicopter ride, sky diving.

You could check out to see if there are any garden tours in your town and get tickets for her and yourself, or her and a friend.

Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,677,288.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
My ninth wedding anniversary is coming up next week, and I am so lucky and blessed to be in this situation.
However, I am stumped for an anniversary gift. My wife is difficult to buy for: she almost always claims not to want anything, and almost never buys herself anything.
I try to stick to the traditional anniversary gifts, and the traditional gift for a ninth anniversary is pottery. My wife's only real hobbies are fitness and gardening, but I can't think of anything non-utilitarian that is made of pottery.
I am rather embarrassed to have to ask for help, but that's what I'm doing. Any ideas???
If she likes gardening like I do I would buy her 9 perennials & have them put in pretty pottery pots. Something to add to the porch or deck.

There are many plants that could be used that will winter in pots & be there every summer. Hen & chicks, hosta, periwinkle, etc. Put a pretty bow on each one with a note about each year of your marriage. Every time she looks at them year after year she will think of you & her 9th. anniversary.

You could find someone to do this if you are not familiar with doing this yourself.

Give her a nice card with a heartfelt note. Take her to dinner, etc.

I know I would love something like that. :)

Reactions: Woodsy
Upvote 0

Woodsy

Returned From Afar.
Site Supporter
Jun 24, 2003
Pacific NW
✟35,414.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
If she likes gardening like I do I would buy her 9 perennials & have them put in pretty pottery pots. Something to add to the porch or deck.

There are many plants that could be used that will winter in pots & be there every summer. Hen & chicks, hosta, periwinkle, etc. Put a pretty bow on each one with a note about each year of your marriage. Every time she looks at them year after year she will think of you & her 9th. anniversary.

You could find someone to do this if you are not familiar with doing this yourself.

Give her a nice card with a heartfelt note. Take her to dinner, etc.

I know I would love something like that. :)

Michie, I think that this may be the thing exactly.
We have found over the years that we don't really end up using gift certificates for things like massage or spas, etc. We even end up blowing off things like concerts - we often see concerts and such as more draining than relaxing. We're both introverts, you see.
So, I think I may end up going with something like what you describe here, Michie. Thank you.

Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,677,288.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Michie, I think that this may be the thing exactly.
We have found over the years that we don't really end up using gift certificates for things like massage or spas, etc. We even end up blowing off things like concerts - we often see concerts and such as more draining than relaxing. We're both introverts, you see.
So, I think I may end up going with something like what you describe here, Michie. Thank you.
I do this sort of thing for people all the time. Hubby & I pretty much the same way you & your wife are. Personally, I think she will love it. I'm sure you can find 9 pretty pottery pots & just have someone suggest the perennials that would go well. You might be able to bring the items into a florist & have them do them up for you.

Keep us updated. :)

Upvote 0

Fantine

Dona Quixote
Site Supporter
Jun 11, 2005
✟1,091,674.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
For a true gift of the heart, perhaps you could go to a plastercraft store and paint something for her--perhaps a picture frame which could contain a recent photo of the two of you doing something, or visiting somewhere, you enjoy.

Or you could make her (or both of you) photo mugs, perhaps of your wedding photo, with both your names included. You could put a gift certificate in the mug for Starbucks coffee, perhaps, and go out on an early morning coffee date, sitting on those comfy chairs and relaxing together.

I will be celebrating a 'big' anniversary in two weeks, and we will be going on our first ever cruise. We were supposed to go on a cruise on our 25th, and right before our anniversary, my hubby lost his job and I broke my ankle. He bought Chinese food and we ate it in the living room, with me sitting on the couch, my leg propped up with pillows (the accident happened only two days earlier.) He gave me a card that said, "I owe you one cruise."

Well, it's finally happening :)

Upvote 0

BAFRIEND

Feb 16, 2007
✟23,362.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
errrrrrrrrrr

scratch the customized coffee mug idea

i would not scratch my SF Giants coffee mugs fer nuthin and think, what are you gonna have to knock off the shelf for those mugs ? could cause problems if you are anything like us

but that is just me

so, where it stands we are somewhere between refridgerator magnets and a vaction to hawaii, rght

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums