Birkenhead, on the Wirral.
✟1,240.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
I loved it! It is not a very long book - just force yourself to sit down and blast through it in a few hours if you must, but it would be a shame to spoil it like that. Try finding out a bit of the history of the USSR (particularly the revolution to Stalin), that will help you understand it more. I really hope you can enjoy this - it is an excellent book.

Upvote 0

Christopher Fox

God botherer
Jul 7, 2004
✟9,406.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
It is actually a very good book. As Yahweh Nissi says above, it is an alegory for the Russian Revolution and the events that followed. I don't think you have to know much Soviet history to enjoy and understand it.

As far as I recall the allegory works like this:

The Russian people (animals on the farm) overthrow the ruling monachy (farmer). They are led by the Communists (pigs), and manage to overthrow the rulers using the strength of the workers (boxer the horse, and the others).

The Communists are led by Stalin (Napolean the Pig) and Trotsky (Snowball). Trotsky wants to keep to the high ideals of Lenin (the Old Major - a pig) and Stalin simply hungers for absolute power.

Stalin overthrows Trotsky (he had him murdered) and begins a reign of terror over the Soviet people using his secret police (the dogs).

I may have got some of that wrong, but that's the general idea. Give the book a try, I think you'll like it.

Chris.

Reactions: Yahweh Nissi
Upvote 0

Jane_the_Bane

Gaia's godchild
Feb 11, 2004
✟168,333.00
Faith
Pagan
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
Politics
UK-Greens
Thithy said:
Personally, if I didn't know who everyone was, I probably would have thought it was a very boring book. however, knowing the history helps so much. Study the events that lead up to WWII, along with WWII itself.
It's Russia, not Germany - take a look at the events:

The October Revolution: The old farmer is driven off.
The proclamation of Equality of all animals and the liberation of the suppressed working classes: The animals celebrating their freedom.
The banishment of one of the ruling pigs: The conflict between Trotzki and Stalin.
The animals are labouring just as hard as before, and instead of the farmer, the swine are now occupying the house and force all others to sustain their wealth: Just a single look at the former soviet union with its corrupt leadership suffices to see the parallels.

That has always been the problem of violent revolutions: After the old regime is gone, others will occupy the positions of power, and be corrupted by it in no time. In order to change the structures of power, you need to change them from the inside, and not by force. Otherwise, you just chop off the hydra's heads to have them growing back more hideous than before. That's why you might call the supposed communism of the East "red fascism". The working classes have never been free. In place of the Czar, they now had Josef Stalin, who sent millions of innocent people to death camps to satisfy his deeply seated, paranoid fear of his own people.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

ThePhoenix

Aug 12, 2003
✟5,476.00
Faith
Christian
jeffthefinn said:
Animal Farm should be college reading, not high school.
Jeff the Finn
Why? You may or may not catch all of the symbolism in High School, but you can certainly catch the point. I found it interesting in High School.

P.S. It's about Russia. Every major critique I've ever read agrees on that, every website I can google agrees on that, heck they call eachother Comerade in the book! "Some are more equal then others" is NOT the master race of Adolf Hitler.

Upvote 0