Luceat Lux Vestra
Feb 17, 2005
St Louis
✟150,656.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
my 15 yr old sister is in trouble again. this time..with the police. she shoplifted..and has been the last 30 days. all on her text msgs so she cant deny it. this morning a police officer called my poor mom. she had to go to the mall and it's a 250 $ ticket along with a court date. all this is getting to me, and i cant stand my sister anymore. i am feeling hate for her. she is not someone i guess i really know as her texts are filthy and she's upsetting this family. please give me advice. i cant talk to her today without screaming so i'm leaving the house.

madeline

BrokenWanderer

Servant
Jul 16, 2009
United States
✟7,795.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
my 15 yr old sister is in trouble again. this time..with the police. she shoplifted..and has been the last 30 days. all on her text msgs so she cant deny it. this morning a police officer called my poor mom. she had to go to the mall and it's a 250 $ ticket along with a court date. all this is getting to me, and i cant stand my sister anymore. i am feeling hate for her. she is not someone i guess i really know as her texts are filthy and she's upsetting this family. please give me advice. i cant talk to her today without screaming so i'm leaving the house.

madeline

Okay, Madeline, first off, I'm going to tell you this: a shoplifting sister is honestly not all that much. Now, I'm not saying it should be taken lightly, because it shouldn't. But the one way it should be handled is with love. Although your sister may be doing great wrong, she is putting herself in grave danger. You and your mom are one of the ways that can possibly get through to her. Not only must your mom show love to her, but you must as well. I know this from experience, because before I was a Christian about a week ago, I was very judgmental of my brother, who has chosen to live a gay lifestyle, in defiance of all that he was taught. Now, I see that I might be able to break through to him. But only, if I let Christ work, and only if I speak in love to him. Nothing I do of my own accord can effect him. But Christ can. And that is why I look to Christ. As must you.

Upvote 0

Aino

God's own
May 16, 2009
Finland
✟37,132.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
First off, just calm down. Yelling won't help you, your sister or your mom a tiniest bit. Of course she'll need to figure out that shoplifting is not the way to go, but I think that she's heard already that you shouldn't do it. Instead, try to be constructive. Find out why she's been shoplifting - because she needed something, because she's greedy or because she likes the exitement. Then do something about it. Get her a new hobby that gets her something better to do and think of, help her get a job so she can get the money for what she needs or just get some sense in her head about her relationship with stuff. You get the catch - fix the problem instead of the cause that follows from it. Don't only yell at her for being bad, because that's not going to make her change anyways. Your mom will probably want to help you with it, so talk to her as well.

I'd change my own attitude as well, if I were you, though. You take your sisters problems quite personally, it seems. Remember that her problem is not your problem, and that you're not responsible for her in any way. You can give her advice, encourage her and give her some perspective about things but you can't make her do anything. She'll have to change herself and her opinions, and live her own life.

I hope I made some sense and don't hurt you in any way.. That was just what popped into my mind right now. :)

Upvote 0

pianomaster42

Christian Musician
Jun 29, 2009
Illinois
✟15,237.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Okay, Madeline --there are some things that should happen first.
The first thing you need to do is calm down, like BrokenWanderer and Aino both said. It is impossible to think clearly and rationally about anything if your mind is clouded by rage. And what you need, from what I can gather from your post, is rationality and clarity.
This brings me to the second thing you need to do. You need to take things from your sister's perspective. Approaching a situation from every perspective is the best way to handle things, in my opinion. People generally have a reason for something they do. Aino went into most of the possibilities here. You need to sit down and have a good talk with your sister, and get her perspective. And do not, absolutely do not lose your cool with her during this. The best way to get to her heart and discover the cause is with love. And don't lecture, that never works. Believe me, I know :p I've been lectured many, many times about mistakes I've made, or things I could have done better in my life, and being lectured is the quickest way to shut me off to what's going on. Make sure it's a conversation. Oh, yes, and try not to be too harsh. I think that being firm, but loving will win the day here.
I also agree with trusting in God and Christ that they will bring this to the right outcome, and that you do need to change your attitude about this. In the long run, her decisions affect her and her only. Granted, your mom will have to pay the court costs, and seeing filthy, wrong text messages is embarrassing to the family, but your sister will be the one that loses the most in the long run. She will be the one going to a juvenile delinquent camp or whatever, she will be the one who loses credibility and friends because of her texts, she will wind up all alone if you and the rest of your family abandon her in this time. You need to be there for her, be a strong, positive role model, and show her caring, now more than ever.

Upvote 0

Shining Beacon

Jan 22, 2010
✟7,649.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Talk to her, ask her why she is doing these things. Maybe there's a reason. It could be for attention or simply because she's trying to impress friends.

Proverbs 15:22a says:
"There is a frustrating of plans when there is no confidential talk..."

I don't know the whole of your situation, but if you haven't yet, talk to her about it.
I went through a terrible rebellious phase when I was younger, and even though the results weren't visible at first, having my sister listen to me really helped.

She didn't say "YOU did this and YOU should be ashamed"
She said things like "Mom and I are worried about you. We feel upset when you do things like this. What is causing you to do these things?"

She didn't use an accusatory tone with me. She simply stated what affect my actions had on the people around me, asked me why, and let me know that she was always ready to listen.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums