East
✟23,894.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Greens
It is an interesting thought, that if you did hold the view of Papal infalibility then any other personal dogma would be esialy overcome with one word from one person.

I think in practice though it doesn't work that way. Even when people believe in the modern understanding of papal infallibility, I think if something totally bizarre were infalliably stated it would lead many to question infallibility. Ultimately we don't always reason from the abstract principle to the specific concrete instance, but also the other way round.

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
As someone who identifies as Anglo-Catholic myself, I find my focus of such identification is more upon high-church Liturgy and traditions ('79 BCP Rite One Eucharist, "folksy" traditions, Saint feasts and fasts and the likes, etc.).

Often times I'll mention such things like we're observing St. Martin's Lent, or it's Lammas -- or, true story, I'll find someone wandering around the supermarket trying to identify the grain used on St. Lucia's day from a sample their relative sent them, and I'm able to point them in the direction of the wheatberries -- and I tend to get confused looks from fellow Anglicans. :)

I, also, don't believe in Papal infallibility simply because I feel that the history and decisions of the office are a testament against such claims. Transubstantiation? Meh, the Real Presence I feel is a more elegant solution, and when it comes to Purgatory, the Assumption and Immaculate Conception, I find they are unessential and could probably be covered by the same "philosophy" as the Real Presence.

Anglo-Catholic is more of a spectrum, I suppose, and means different things to different people. I'm not "Wannabe Catholic" I'm an Anglican who appreciates our Catholic heritage as it is informed by the spirit Anglicanism.

You might be an Anglo-Catholic--in the original sense of the term--but it sounds more like you are a High Churchman and a fan of the study of church history.

Upvote 0

Anna Scott

May 29, 2009
Texas
✟21,987.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
It is an interesting thought, that if you did hold the view of Papal infalibility then any other personal dogma would be esialy overcome with one word from one person.

I think in practice though it doesn't work that way. Even when people believe in the modern understanding of papal infallibility, I think if something totally bizarre were infalliably stated it would lead many to question infallibility. Ultimately we don't always reason from the abstract principle to the specific concrete instance, but also the other way round.

True and the teachings don't even have to be "bizarre."

The way Vatican II expounded with greater clarity the teaching of Extra Ecclesiam nulla salus (no salvation outside the Church,) caused many Catholics to reject this Vatican II clarification charging Vatican II with changing the infallible teaching of previous Popes. The issue is still not fully resolved among Catholics.

Then, of course, we see the stance of Catholic Women Religious on a number of issues that clash with Catholic teaching.

There are many examples.

Anna

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Anna Scott

May 29, 2009
Texas
✟21,987.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
You might be an Anglo-Catholic--in the original sense of the term--but it sounds more like you are a High Churchman and a fan of the study of church history.

Albion,

Why are the beliefs of Anglo Catholics such an issue for you?

I don't see Anglo Catholics trying to define your Protestant leanings in Anglicanism or question your motives for holding your beliefs.

Anna

Upvote 0

Anna Scott

May 29, 2009
Texas
✟21,987.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
The OP:
The thread about similarities between Anglicanism and Orthodoxy got me thinking. Is it possible to be an Anglo-Catholic while having Orthodox beliefs about sacraments, sin, the role of Mary etc.? Or is an Anglo-Catholic defined as one who is theologically very close to Rome? Would this hypothetical Anglican be in a different category? Just curious.

Albion,

Why are the beliefs of Anglo Catholics such an issue for you?

I don't see Anglo Catholics trying to define your Protestant leanings in Anglicanism or question your motives for holding your beliefs.

Anna

It's a discussion board, Anna, and someone--not me--started this thread entitled "Anglo-Catholic?":doh:

I realize that Albion, but you took the discussion beyond Anglo Catholic beliefs by adding your personal judgements and assumptions such as:

• Calling some Anglicans "Roman Catholic wannabees."
  • Saying, "The recent experience of the 'Anglican Ordinariate' caused a lot of them to own up to the beliefs they already held."
  • Telling DariusArcturus (who identifies as an Anglo Catholic) "You might be an Anglo-Catholic--in the original sense of the term--but it sounds more like you are a High Churchman and a fan of the study of church history."
  • Claiming you haven't met a self-professed Anglo-Catholic yet who didn't affirm Purgatory, Transubstantiation, the Assumption, the Immaculate Conception, the Roman Catholic liturgy plus the Papacy.

How about Purgatory, Transubstantiation, the Assumption and Immaculate Conception, and the Roman Catholic liturgy? I haven't met a self-professed Anglo-Catholic yet who didn't affirm all of that plus the Papacy (although I know that the original Anglo-Catholics were not crazy about such things and mainly asserted the historic continuity idea).

. . . .But you can easily find Anglicans who are little more than Roman Catholic wannabees who are calling themselves "Anglo-Catholics." So when anyone asks "Or is an Anglo-Catholic defined as one who is theologically very close to Rome?" this has to be part of the answer.

Albion,

We exist and are posting here. So, you have met some. :D

I am an Anglo Catholic. I do not believe in Purgatory or the Immaculate Conception, or the authority of the Pope. If I believed the Pope holds the authority and infallibility he claims, I would enter into Communion with Rome. So, I don't know how one can believe in the "Papacy" and remain outside Rome. That makes not sense.

As for Transubstantiation, I have no particular objection to it. However, I do not attempt to define the Divine Mystery of the Holy Eucharist. I yield to the Mystery.

I do believe in the Assumption.

Our Parish does not use the "Roman Catholic Liturgy." We use the 1979 BCP.

Anna

That would be my opinion, so you can imagine my frustration every time I find myself in a discussion with one of those folks I described. The recent experience of the "Anglican Ordinariate" caused a lot of them to own up to the beliefs they already held.

You ignored my response:
Albion,
I think that is somewhat presumptuous. Perhaps some were already considering Catholicism. Perhaps some ran to the Catholic Church seeing it as a refuge from all the tortuous conflict within Anglicanism. We can speculate; but I don't really think we can judge the heart or intentions of those who entered into Communion with Rome.

As I said before, if I believed the Pope holds the authority and infallibility he claims, I would enter into Communion with Rome.

In fact, the Catechism of the Catholic Church teaches that one who knows the Catholic Church was founded as necessary by God through Christ and refuses to enter cannot be saved.

Catechism of the Catholic Church
"Outside the Church there is no salvation"
846 How are we to understand this affirmation, often repeated by the Church Fathers?335 Re-formulated positively, it means that all salvation comes from Christ the Head through the Church which is his Body:

Basing itself on Scripture and Tradition, the Council teaches that the Church, a pilgrim now on earth, is necessary for salvation: the one Christ is the mediator and the way of salvation; he is present to us in his body which is the Church. He himself explicitly asserted the necessity of faith and Baptism, and thereby affirmed at the same time the necessity of the Church which men enter through Baptism as through a door. Hence they could not be saved who, knowing that the Catholic Church was founded as necessary by God through Christ, would refuse either to enter it or to remain in it.336

847 This affirmation is not aimed at those who, through no fault of their own, do not know Christ and his Church:

Those who, through no fault of their own, do not know the Gospel of Christ or his Church, but who nevertheless seek God with a sincere heart, and, moved by grace, try in their actions to do his will as they know it through the dictates of their conscience - those too may achieve eternal salvation.337

So, I don't really think you can accuse those who entered the Ordinariate of finally "owning up to the beliefs they already held"---since "knowing" the Catholic Church to be the one true Church and remaining outside it would, in the eyes of the Catholic Church, result in the loss of salvation.

Anna

As someone who identifies as Anglo-Catholic myself, I find my focus of such identification is more upon high-church Liturgy and traditions ('79 BCP Rite One Eucharist, "folksy" traditions, Saint feasts and fasts and the likes, etc.).

Often times I'll mention such things like we're observing St. Martin's Lent, or it's Lammas -- or, true story, I'll find someone wandering around the supermarket trying to identify the grain used on St. Lucia's day from a sample their relative sent them, and I'm able to point them in the direction of the wheatberries -- and I tend to get confused looks from fellow Anglicans. :)

I, also, don't believe in Papal infallibility simply because I feel that the history and decisions of the office are a testament against such claims. Transubstantiation? Meh, the Real Presence I feel is a more elegant solution, and when it comes to Purgatory, the Assumption and Immaculate Conception, I find they are unessential and could probably be covered by the same "philosophy" as the Real Presence.

Anglo-Catholic is more of a spectrum, I suppose, and means different things to different people. I'm not "Wannabe Catholic" I'm an Anglican who appreciates our Catholic heritage as it is informed by the spirit Anglicanism.

DariusArcturus identifies as Anglo Catholic. Is it really up to you to speculate as to whether or not he is a High Churchman and a fan of Church History rather than an Anglo Catholic?

By what authority do you judge the intentions of those who entered the Ordinariate? By what authority do you claim the Ordinariate caused Anglicans to "own up to the beliefs they already held?"

The "Catholic wannabe" comment is simply offensive.

You moved past facts and history, into speculation and judgement--and that is far from the topic of the OP.

As I said before, I don't see Anglo Catholics trying to define your Protestant leanings in Anglicanism or question your motives for holding your beliefs.

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Then call me a True Anglo-Catholic™ and be done with it! ;)

Well, because the part of my comment that came after "You might be an Anglo-Catholic...." didn't particularly refer to Anglo-Catholicism but to other matters you mentioned.

Upvote 0

Rurik

Jun 3, 2007
✟683.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married

Then they probly hold some understanding of limited Papal infallibility. What is your point?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

PaladinValer

Traditional Orthodox Anglican
Apr 7, 2004
Myrtle Beach, SC
✟30,305.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Albion, my point stands, which you have not addressed, which goes rather well alongside Anna Scott's point: you say you've never (emphasis mine) known an Anglo-Catholic who didn't agree with the litany of items you've listed, yet I've been here since P/R/E days and I don't hold to them and never did; back then, now, or in between.

And there have been many Anglo-Catholics, either now or back then, who are the same as I.

So, can you please do the right and respectful thing to answer this? I exist, and it appears like DariusArcturus does too, as both MJK and Anna Scott in addition...and I'm sure a few others that I'm forgetting to mention.

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
PV,
You disagree with my wording and I see a variety of theological positions taken by the people just on this one thread who consider themselves to be Anglo-Catholics. I'm now thinking, therefore, that it would be interesting and also beneficial if everyone here who considers himself or herself an "Anglo-Catholic" were to define what beliefs and/or practices define the term, as they see it.

Upvote 0

PaladinValer

Apr 7, 2004
Myrtle Beach, SC
✟30,305.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
PV,
You disagree with my wording and I see a variety of theological positions taken by the people just on this one thread who consider themselves to be Anglo-Catholics. I'm now thinking, therefore, that it would be interesting and also beneficial if everyone here who considers himself or herself an "Anglo-Catholic" were to define what beliefs and/or practices define the term, as they see it.

Albion, what I'm not sure you understand is that not only are we fully capable in understand but fully do understand those terms:

Transubstantiationism is the a particularist Real Presence doctrine that not only defines exactly how Jesus is Present but also when as well; you cannot separate the how and when in the theology. For them, it occurs at the Words of Institution and they follow a Aristotelian-philosophical argument. My position is that the bread and wine with water becomes quite literally the Body and Blood, but I don't care about the how; for all I know, the bread and wine with water truly do remain. All the matters is, is that Jesus is both physically and spiritually present, which is a truly spiritual food and drink, and I receive him by faith, meaning that I trust that His words are true in the Words of Institution and in the St. John 6 discourse, and I do also receive Him with thanksgiving. As for the when, I absolutely disagree that is occurs at any one sudden time. I do believe that by the Great Amen, which is the affirmation of it, He surely must truly be Present, and that is fine by me. Thus, I cannot be called a believer in transubstantiationism and no amount of disagreement is logically or validly possible due to my disagreement on how and my utter rejection on when.

Purgatory purgatory is a particularist immediate afterlife belief that holds that those who will be found worthy of heaven, but retain venial sin upon biological life's passing, must wait in a "waiting room" where the soul will be purged of the venial sin and that the soul's purging can be aided by the prayers and intercessions of those in heaven or on Earth and also that these souls can benefit from the "Treasury of Merits" that have accumulated throughout the years of worthy good deeds performed by the Saints and Christ. You cannot have their understanding of puragory without both of those second ideas in mind. My position is that there is indeed an immediate afterlife, but it is also remarked about in the Bible: sheol/hades, and Jesus' Parable of Dives and Lazarus gives a window to what it is rather like, which means that both those who will be worthy of heaven AND NOT will be there, and for those who WILL be worthy WILL be purged BUT THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS ANY TREASURY OF MERITS and prayers MIGHT aid but no one truly knows. Therefore, I cannot logically believe in Purgatory.

The Assumption is the particularist belief that St. Mary, upon the completion of her biological life, was taken body and soul directly to heaven, according to the ex cathedra statement of Pope Pius XII on Nov. 1st, 1950 and is therefore a required dogma for all Christians to believe. My position is that such a belief as dogma is ridiculous because there is no such concept of papacy and therefore it can only be at best a pious belief of possibility without any dogmatic attachments. FURTHERMORE, I believe that upon her biological death only her soul was taken directly to heaven and her body was taken 3 days later. As such, I cannot logically believe in the Assumption as they believe in it. Instead, I am a firm believer in the Dormition, not the Assumption.

The Immaculate Conception is the position that St. Mary the Theotokos was never born in original sin. My position is that such a belief is heterodox.

As for my liturgical leanings, quite honestly, I prefer an Anglo-Catholic, high-church liturgy. However, no one ever said I had to go to Rome. The various English Usages are fully Catholic and fully English. While there are a number of similarities; indeed, I will admit it is very, very close, it is still a separate liturgical tradition that has its own history and therefore adding Introits, Secrets, Alleluias/Tracts, and other "medievalisms" is completely Anglican.

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Albion, what I'm not sure you understand is that not only are we fully capable in understand but fully do understand those terms:

No one asked for a discussion of those terms. Maybe someone else who didn't miss the point entirely...

Upvote 0

PaladinValer

Apr 7, 2004
Myrtle Beach, SC
✟30,305.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
No one asked for a discussion of those terms. Maybe someone else who didn't miss the point entirely...

You gave the point: you said you've never met an Anglo-Catholic who didn't believe in those things. What is truly being said is, Anglo-Catholcs are merely Roman Catholic-wannabes.

I and the others exist. Therefore, your position is refuted. I personally have as much respect for real Anglo-Papism as I do for Crypto-Calvinism/Presbyterianism. In short, when we define terms as they are actually defined and no how we personally want them to be, then we're actually on the same page.

Seriously, the whole churchship debate is dead. We're not in the late 19th/early 20th century anymore. Let's move on to more important matters.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

PaladinValer

Apr 7, 2004
Myrtle Beach, SC
✟30,305.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Like what?

...that's more important than returning to the whole "let's put X bishop on trial for wearing a chasuble" or "let's remove X priest from this parish because he won't sing the consecration"?

Plenty. Reconciliation...aiding the poor...feeding the hungry....sheltering the homeless...educating the illiterate...sharing the love of God to those who seek it...etc.

Upvote 0

PaladinValer

Apr 7, 2004
Myrtle Beach, SC
✟30,305.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
What are you going to do about it then?

I do quite a bit with my volunteer work that I do. My own parish and those that I've been member of previously have also done God's work.

Churchship has already been decided upon: you can have either a low-church or high-church liturgy; have all the smells and bells or just a simple spoken liturgy. Either is fine in Anglicanism.

Upvote 0