Toronto, Ontario
✟52,315.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
CA-Conservatives
There is no CNN Fox News video coverage. If there was would you say it had been doctored?

We don't, legitimately, get to second guess dozens of eyewitness reports from people who were on scene at the time and in positions to be able to know when judge these matters.

The Bible is the best attested and most archaeologically corroborated record from Asian times. Nobody flat out made up the resurrection story. Much less four different gospel writers in an entire Christian movement.

We don't have dozens of eyewitness accounts, in fact we don't have a single eyewitness account from anyone involved.

And the bible has very little extra-biblical support to back it up. Sure, it lists some places that existed in real life, and it does reference some historical figures, but that's about it. None of the supernatural claims or key claims about the foundation of Christianity have any evidence at all.

The gospels were not written by eyewitnesses, and why are you limiting it to four? There were dozens of gospels written, and the church itself considers most of them illegitimate. It only accepted the three synoptic gospels, which were based on the book of Mark and largely plagiarized, and the book of John which was so popular at the time it was hard to keep out of the canon. But, that was the church that happened to win out.

There were dozens of sects all following different gospels. Had the Marcions or the Ebionites won out, Christianity would be a VERY different religion than the one today (assuming it would survive this long).

For example, The Marcionite Christians arose in the early-mid 2nd century. They believed that the god of Israel depicted in the Old Testament was a lower god or even the devil, that was keeping knowledge of the real god obscured from us, as such they rejected the entire Old Testament. Jesus was sent by the real god to basically establish a connection to him and save humanity.

Paul was considered the only true Apostle, and 10 of his epistles were included in their canon, along with the Gospel of Marcion, which was related to the Gospel of Luke. There are some scholars that believe that Marcion's gospel influenced later revisions of the Gospel of Luke that we have today, however that is a minority position. The rest of what later became the New Testament was discarded as heretical. Marcion's Canon was actually the first Christian canon ever compiled, and helped spur what became mainstream Christianity to put together their own book which became the Bible.

For a time, Marcionism was one of, if not the most popular form of Christianity. It started to die out in the 3rd century when a lot of the other rival Christian sects started to lose out to what became mainstream Christianity, however there are Islamic accounts of Marcionite sects lasting at least into the 10th century.

This is one example of an early Christian sect that had very different views than what you believe. There are dozens of others that have even more unorthodox beliefs that date from the same time period. Some thought Jesus was an astrological being for example, and never appeared in human form.

If there were so many "eyewitnesses", how can you have such a massive disparity of views that short of a time after the supposed events? Christianity was far more varied and fragmented than it is even in the modern day. One would think if Jesus was walking around within the previous couple decades, and there were living eyewitnesses, there would be a strong consensus about what he wants, and what should be done.

We see the exact opposite though. We essentially had a plethora of Christian Fan-Fic which is what we'd expect out of a fabricated story that's open for anyone's interpretation.

Upvote 0

2PhiloVoid

Of course, it's all ...about the Son!
Site Supporter
Oct 28, 2006
The Void!
✟1,134,740.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
We don't have dozens of eyewitness accounts, in fact we don't have a single eyewitness account from anyone involved.

And the bible has very little extra-biblical support to back it up. Sure, it lists some places that existed in real life, and it does reference some historical figures, but that's about it. None of the supernatural claims or key claims about the foundation of Christianity have any evidence at all.

The gospels were not written by eyewitnesses, and why are you limiting it to four? There were dozens of gospels written, and the church itself considers most of them illegitimate. It only accepted the three synoptic gospels, which were based on the book of Mark and largely plagiarized, and the book of John which was so popular at the time it was hard to keep out of the canon. But, that was the church that happened to win out.

There were dozens of sects all following different gospels. Had the Marcions or the Ebionites won out, Christianity would be a VERY different religion than the one today (assuming it would survive this long).

For example, The Marcionite Christians arose in the early-mid 2nd century. They believed that the god of Israel depicted in the Old Testament was a lower god or even the devil, that was keeping knowledge of the real god obscured from us, as such they rejected the entire Old Testament. Jesus was sent by the real god to basically establish a connection to him and save humanity.

Paul was considered the only true Apostle, and 10 of his epistles were included in their canon, along with the Gospel of Marcion, which was related to the Gospel of Luke. There are some scholars that believe that Marcion's gospel influenced later revisions of the Gospel of Luke that we have today, however that is a minority position. The rest of what later became the New Testament was discarded as heretical. Marcion's Canon was actually the first Christian canon ever compiled, and helped spur what became mainstream Christianity to put together their own book which became the Bible.

For a time, Marcionism was one of, if not the most popular form of Christianity. It started to die out in the 3rd century when a lot of the other rival Christian sects started to lose out to what became mainstream Christianity, however there are Islamic accounts of Marcionite sects lasting at least into the 10th century.

This is one example of an early Christian sect that had very different views than what you believe. There are dozens of others that have even more unorthodox beliefs that date from the same time period. Some thought Jesus was an astrological being for example, and never appeared in human form.

If there were so many "eyewitnesses", how can you have such a massive disparity of views that short of a time after the supposed events? Christianity was far more varied and fragmented than it is even in the modern day. One would think if Jesus was walking around within the previous couple decades, and there were living eyewitnesses, there would be a strong consensus about what he wants, and what should be done.

We see the exact opposite though. We essentially had a plethora of Christian Fan-Fic which is what we'd expect out of a fabricated story that's open for anyone's interpretation.

Please cite your work here ... if you want us to take you seriously. Marcionism was "the most popular" form of Christianity for a time? Ok. I'll bite: says who?

Upvote 0
Aug 4, 2006
✟95,047.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Say historians.
Marcionism | Encyclopedia.com
I hadn't heard of Marcionism specifically myself, but I did know there were a number of early Christian factions, and I'm not at all surprised to hear that one of them claimed that the God of the New Testament was a different being to the God of the Old. It's a fascinating little story. Thank you, Dave Ellis, for bringing it to the attention of people who would benefit from reading it.

Upvote 0

2PhiloVoid

Site Supporter
Oct 28, 2006
The Void!
✟1,134,740.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Say historians.
Marcionism | Encyclopedia.com
I hadn't heard of Marcionism specifically myself, but I did know there were a number of early Christian factions, and I'm not at all surprised to hear that one of them claimed that the God of the New Testament was a different being to the God of the Old. It's a fascinating little story. Thank you, Dave Ellis, for bringing it to the attention of people who would benefit from reading it.

It's not that I hadn't already heard (or studied) about Marcionism, but I hadn't heard it put the way that @Dave Ellis put it where he says, "For a time, Marcionism was one of, if not the most popular form of Christianity."

And your article, I.A., based as it is on somewhat antiquated voices, even that of Harnack, doesn't quite articulate the popularity of Marcionism in those terms:

"Of the many early Christian sects the Marcionites were among the most successful, creating a parallel organization to the Catholic Church."​

However, as an educator of sorts myself, and even though I consider Marcion to have had severe problems with the practice of hermeneutics (of any sort), I'm all for your welcome assistance in bringing competing sources to our attention. So, thank you for providing what you have. :rolleyes:

Upvote 0
Aug 4, 2006
✟95,047.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
It's not that I hadn't already heard (or studied) about Marcionism, but I hadn't heard it put the way that @Dave Ellis put it where he says, "For a time, Marcionism was one of, if not the most popular form of Christianity."

And your article, I.A., based as it is on somewhat antiquated voices, even that of Harnack, doesn't quite articulate the popularity of Marcionism in those terms:

"Of the many early Christian sects the Marcionites were among the most successful, creating a parallel organization to the Catholic Church."
Antiquated? Perhaps if we were discussing science. Where history is concerned, twentieth-century sources are quite acceptable. Unless you have a later source which contradicts them? But of course you don't. All you wanted to do was quibble about the microscopic difference between "one of, if not the most popular" and "among the most successful".

It was you said "please cite your work here ... if you want us to take you seriously."
I shall now look forward with interest to your admitting that @Dave Ellis was right.

Upvote 0
Aug 4, 2006
✟95,047.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Lee Strobel
You really need to be made aware that nobody takes Lee Strobel's laughable arguments seriously.

Post one or two of them, if you like, and I'll be happy to show you. But please don't bother posting any more links to long articles. If you want to say something, put it in your own words.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

2PhiloVoid

Site Supporter
Oct 28, 2006
The Void!
✟1,134,740.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Antiquated? Perhaps if we were discussing science. Where history is concerned, twentieth-century sources are quite acceptable. Unless you have a later source which contradicts them? But of course you don't. All you wanted to do was quibble about the microscopic difference between "one of, if not the most popular" and "among the most successful".

It was you said "please cite your work here ... if you want us to take you seriously."
I shall now look forward with interest to your admitting that @Dave Ellis was right.

I'll admit that I was wrong when I see the citation @Dave Ellis gives for his reference.

In the meantime, I'll just sit here, ruminating over just how much of a goober Marcion must have really been. I mean, the dude must have needed his head checked for how he *bastardized* the Bible. However, I do appreciate Marcion's presence in history because he seems to nicely fit into my reason #3 type example I gave up above a few posts back. :rolleyes: ... he really was a goober.

Upvote 0
Aug 4, 2006
✟95,047.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
I'll admit that I was wrong when I see the citation @Dave Ellis gives for his reference.

In the meantime, I'll just sit here, ruminating over just how much of a goober Marcion must have really been. I mean, the dude must have needed his head checked for how he *bastardized* the Bible. However, I do appreciate Marcion's presence in history because he seems to nicely fit into my reason #3 type example I gave up above a few posts back. :rolleyes: ... he really was a goober.
How gracious and mature of you.
Well done, @Dave Ellis . You win.

Upvote 0
Aug 4, 2006
✟95,047.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Yes. You challenged Dave, and you were wrong. You made the stake ("Please cite your work here ... if you want us to take you seriously") and you lost.
Saying that a person shouldn't be taken seriously is an implied insult, and one you should have thought better of when the answer is readily available from any history book.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

2PhiloVoid

Site Supporter
Oct 28, 2006
The Void!
✟1,134,740.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Yes. You challenged Dave, and you were wrong. You made the stake ("Please cite your work here ... if you want us to take you seriously") and you lost.
Saying that a person shouldn't be taken seriously is an implied insult, and one you should have thought better of when the answer is readily available from any history book.

Why is it that your style of delivery sounds so familiar to me, I.A.?

Upvote 0

childeye 2

Aug 18, 2018
Denver CO
✟203,738.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
If God is real, there should be evidence of it. Lots of evidence. Overpowering amounts of evidence.
But you don't have it, do you?
How strange.
I would like to respectfully enquire as to what definition of the term "God" you are meaning to denote in these statements? I believe the term God is best understood as an axiom, as in the source of the energy of creation, or Creator.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Erik Nelson

Site Supporter
Aug 6, 2017
Utah
✟347,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Saying that a person shouldn't be taken seriously is an implied insult...
You really need to be made aware that nobody takes Lee Strobel's laughable arguments seriously.
?!?

in the 1860s, Heckle's drawings of embryos were already outed as false, forged and cherry picked

vertebrate embryos are not similar in the early stages, but developmental similarity follows an hourglass shape, maximum similarity occurs only in the middle phases

"ontology recapitulates phylogeny" has been discredited

Last edited:
Upvote 0

2PhiloVoid

Site Supporter
Oct 28, 2006
The Void!
✟1,134,740.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I have no idea. Let me know if you find out.
I figured it out! Your rhetorical style seems to be very much in the vain of "Tokyo Rose." Would this sound about right to you?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Aug 4, 2006
✟95,047.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
I would like to respectfully enquire as to what definition of the term "God" you are meaning to denote in these statements? I believe the term God is best understood as an axiom, as in the source of the energy of creation, or Creator.
Hello Childeye,
I'd go with the description of God I most often hear, the Christian God as portrayed in the Bible.

?!?

in the 1860s, Heckle's drawings of embryos were already outed as false, forged and cherry picked

vertebrate embryos are not similar in the early stages, but developmental similarity follows an hourglass shape, maximum similarity occurs only in the middle phases

"ontology recapitulates phylogeny" has been discredited
First, Strobel was knocking over strawmen there. Haeckel's embryoes were indeed erroneous, but they were dismissed a long time ago, and now have no influence on modern evolutionary theory.
Have you ever heard of Piltdown Man? It's a similar case. An ancient fraud, of no concern to anyone these days except as a story.

Second, we're not discussing Creation versus Evolution. We're discussing whether or not God is real and Jesus came back to life.

Upvote 0

2PhiloVoid

Site Supporter
Oct 28, 2006
The Void!
✟1,134,740.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Upvote 0

childeye 2

Aug 18, 2018
Denver CO
✟203,738.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hello Childeye,
I'd go with the description of God I most often hear, the Christian God as portrayed in the Bible.
Thanks for the response. As pertains to existing, the Christian definition of God as a Creator is generally applied as an axiom. But I doubt that this was the definition you were meaning to denote, because the statements you made in post #2 would then be illogical in concept since an axiom would require no proof, being self evident.

Also if I may point out for the sake of clarity, a 'description' of God, is not the same as a 'definition' for the term 'God'.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Erik Nelson

Site Supporter
Aug 6, 2017
Utah
✟347,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
rebutted soundly by Lee Strobel and J Warner Wallace

And the bible has very little extra-biblical support to back it up.
rebutted years ago

Is There Any Evidence for Jesus Outside the Bible? | Cold Case Christianity

None of the supernatural claims or key claims about the foundation of Christianity have any evidence at all.
you are neatly sidestepping the whole debate and the cause of & definition of Faith = trust in the testimony of credible eyewitnesses

2 Peter 1:16

no human in history has blindly believed the claims of the Apostles about the resurrection of Jesus. No human who ever heard the claim was not initially skeptical. Every human who ever heard the claim was initially sceptical.

What many people have come to trust that Saint Peter in Saint Paul and the Apostles in the New Testament authors were trustworthy people. And that it's Less likely that they were wrong or lying then that the resurrection and supernatural miracles did not occur.

I witnessed testimony from credible believable trustworthy person. Is evidence it is accepted as direct evidence in every court of law on earth? You cannot say there is no evidence there is EXTRAORDINARY evidence given by the extraordinary transformation of the Apostles. Upon witnessing ( What they themselves came to believe was) the resurrection.

The only thing there is not is CNN, Fox News video coverage.

the gospels were not written by eyewitnesses
rebutted

, and why are you limiting it to four?
THAT'S a very good question

however, rebutted years ago by the same authors i referenced :)

all of the non-canonical gospels are PROVABLY late

for example, the Gospel of Thomas quotes the Diatesseron in Syriac... Same words same order

Syriac Diatesseron = 175-200ad

There were dozens of gospels written, and the church itself considers most of them illegitimate.
with cause, the three synoptic gospels, which were based on the book of Mark, were circulating amongst Christians from ~60ad...

the others were largely plagiarized by much later "upstarts" like Marcion

There were dozens of sects all following different gospels.
yes, ones they concocted

Mohamed, allegedly a prophet, may have been influenced by those "alternative" Christianities

violates accepted Scripture,risen Jesus had wounds, ate meals, etc.

If there were so many "eyewitnesses", how can you have such a massive disparity of views that short of a time after the supposed events?
again, non canonical gospels are probably false by text critical means, text criticism, eg. Details and names not consonant with first century Judah

One would think if Jesus was walking around within the previous couple decades, and there were living eyewitnesses, there would be a strong consensus about what he wants, and what should be done.
exactly why orthodoxy won out

except that orthodoxy won out, predictably

if we were both Spock Vulcan logical, this discussion would quickly boil down to either orthodox Christianity...the resurrection actually occurred

or the Islamic view, that the resurrection APPEARED to actually occur

but, if you accept that "impostor" view... Then how is it everyone on all sides were fooled?

John the beloved apostle and Mary mother of Jesus stood at the foot of the cross for hours? How is it they were fooled?

But if you say they were in on it? Then, how is it that pilot and Ananias and Caiaphas and the entire Jewish Sanhedrin. All of Jesus is enemies who wanted him crucified and also dealt with him all morning for hours on end? How is it that they were all fooled?

So if you then say that Jesus really was crucified and that an impostor took over his role AFTER the crucifixion. Then you have the same problem? How is it that the impostor? Fooled. All of the Apostles into thinking that he was really the risen Jesus, fooling them. So thoroughly that they all went to their executions, claiming that he was the real deal.

And once again if you say that they were all somehow in on the conspiracy, then what about Saint Paul. He was an ardent opponent? He was a pharisee. On the side of the Sanhedrin and they hostile Jewish authorities. But he said he saw the risen Jesus and so became a Christian.

Once again everyone on every side of the issue agreed that Jesus appeared to be risen. And the appearance of the risen Christ was so convincing that everyone went to their martyrdoms and executions for their testimony.

For 2000 years, the logic has been like this Saint Peter and Saint Paul were honest caring. Generous kind hearted men. Who always appeared to tell the truth and who devoted their lives to charity and social justice? They were activists for the poor. Their care and concern healed people. They certainly appeared to be the most trustworthy people in history.

They gave everyone their words of Honor that they had witnessed Jesus Christ crucified and then resurrected. They told everybody that they could trust their word. They gave them their word of Honor and they were executed dying for their word of Honor without changing or retracting their testimony.

So caught between a rock and a hard place caught between the improbability of a resurrection event and the improbability of Saint Peter and Saint Paul either lying or being deceptive...

for two thousand years, people have, weighing the evidence, chosen to accept the claims and testimony of Saint Peter in Saint Paul that resurrection actually occurred

that's the faith. That's the TRUSTING in What certainly seems by all appearances to be completely credible eyewitness testimony.

It is the case that people who reject the supernatural. Conclusion have been trying to figure out what "actually happened" for 2000 years. Mohammed was aware of their debates and discussions the Quran claims that "They are all without certain knowledge". Either the resurrection really occurred or everybody has been fooled the entire time. Which one?

Last edited:
Upvote 0