newburgh
✟115,763.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
John 3:16-17 says, “For God so loved the world, that he gave his only Son, that whoever believes in him should not perish but have eternal life. For God did not send his Son into the world to condemn the world, but in order that the world might be saved through him.” Who was God targeting through His Son? He was targeting those who strayed from the house of Jacob, and those whose blind ignorance would have prevented God from giving them eternal life along with the wayfarers from the House of Jacob.

The idea of the son of God appearing on earth goes as far back as the Old Testament. Isaiah 49:5-6 says “And now the LORD says, he who formed me from the womb to be his servant, to bring Jacob back to him; and that Israel might be gathered to him—for I am honored in the eyes of the LORD, and my God has become my strength— he says: ‘It is too light a thing that you should be my servant to raise up the tribes of Jacob and to bring back the preserved of Israel; I will make you as a light for the nations, that my salvation may reach to the end of the earth.’” So it’s not just the wayward children from the House of Jacob, it’s everyone to the ends of the earth. Isaiah 49:5-6 establishes God’s commitment to save us all, through a Son He has appointed. Jesus is that Son, and the riddle of whom Isaiah is referring to in those passages is solved.

How are we to be saved? It’s through Jesus’ guidance, via the Word of God who resided in Jesus’ flesh for him to speak it, as stated in John 1:14. We might imagine that God at this point has determined His Word was not going to reach the ears of the people through things like osmosis; it must be spelled out.

What remains is that we believe what Jesus and his disciples tell us, taking to heart the things which the Lord considers to be sins, and being focused on loving God and loving eachother. And in loving God, we accept the words that come from Jesus and his disciples; and understanding that accepting those words amounts to accepting and believing in Jesus himself as is written in John 1:12 and running with what he says.

The only question that remains here is how serious people are in wanting eternal life. How serious can people be when they ignore the poor and needy and they allow themselves to be led by those who do not lead with God in mind, as envisioned in Romans 13:1. Seems that a lot of people, including leaders, are influenced by Satan’s pull and disregard God’s Word.

Jesus said in John 14:6 that no one comes to the Father except through him. Jesus takes his commission seriously. Can we take the responsibility he gives us just as seriously?

Clare73

Blood-bought
Jun 12, 2012
North Carolina
✟278,671.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
How are we to be saved? It’s through Jesus’ guidance, via the Word of God who resided in Jesus’ flesh for him to speak it, as stated in John 1:14.
That's not what the NT word of God written presents.
We are saved. . .by faith. . .not by works (of obedience), so that no one can boast that he did anything which contributed to his salvation (Eph 2:8-9).

Reactions: 65James
Upvote 0

newton3005

Jun 29, 2019
newburgh
✟115,763.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
We are saved. . .by faith. . .not by works (of obedience), so that no one can boast that he did anything which contributed to his salvation (Eph 2:8-9).
James 2:14- What good is it, my brothers, if someone says he has faith but does not have works? Can that faith save him?

Upvote 0

Clare73

Blood-bought
Jun 12, 2012
North Carolina
✟278,671.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
James 2:14- What good is it, my brothers, if someone says he has faith but does not have works? Can that faith save him?
Faith that does not produce works is not true faith and cannot save,
but it is not the works which ever save, they only prove one's faith is true faith, which alone saves (Eph 2:8-9), so that no one can boast.

Upvote 0

65James

Feb 18, 2024
Minnesota
✟7,327.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
but it is not the works which ever save, they only prove one's faith is true faith, which alone saves (Eph 2:8-9), so that no one can boast.
While it may sound like I disagree with you Clare believe me I don’t. But Newton has a point no we are not saved by our own works. But faith can’t produce good works faith is our own actions. But yes we who have faith will produce good works or fruit by the Holy Spirit.
For we are His workmanship, created in Christ Jesus unto good works, which God hath before ordained that we should walk in them. Ephesians 2:10. After we read of those who are from thorny ground in Hebrews 6:1-8, the writer states to true believers we are persuaded of better things of you things that accompany salvation verse 9.
Hebrews 6:10
For God is not unrighteous to forget your work and labour of love, which ye have shewed toward His Name, in that ye have ministered to the saints, and do minister.

Paul states that faith works by love, Galatians 5:6. This love which is the work of faith, is given us by the Holy Spirit, Romans 5:5; I Peter 1:22. So our own works are filthy but when the Holy Spirit does His work in us His love shine and shows who truly are God’s children.

Upvote 0

Clare73

Blood-bought
Jun 12, 2012
North Carolina
✟278,671.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
While it may sound like I disagree with you Clare believe me I don’t. But Newton has a point no we are not saved by our own works. But faith can’t produce good works faith is our own actions.
Keeping in mind that those without saving faith cannot please God with their actions.
God is not pleased with anything short of saving faith.
But yes we who have faith will produce good works or fruit by the Holy Spirit.
For we are His workmanship, created in Christ Jesus unto good works, which God hath before ordained that we should walk in them. Ephesians 2:10. After we read of those who are from thorny ground in Hebrews 6:1-8, the writer states to true believers we are persuaded of better things of you things that accompany salvation verse 9.
Hebrews 6:10
For God is not unrighteous to forget your work and labour of love, which ye have shewed toward His Name, in that ye have ministered to the saints, and do minister.

Paul states that faith works by love, Galatians 5:6. This love which is the work of faith, is given us by the Holy Spirit, Romans 5:5; I Peter 1:22. So our own works are filthy but when the Holy Spirit does His work in us His love shine and shows who truly are God’s children.

Upvote 0

tz620q

Site Supporter
Apr 19, 2007
Carmel, IN
✟575,416.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I studied this idea of faith and started realizing that many take faith to be a one way street. We have faith in God and that is part of our salvation. Then I realized that God first has faith in us. His faith was so strong that He sent his only son to be a visible sign of love and hope, to give us a basis for our faith that is not invisible or abstract. So perhaps we need to understand that our faith is a natural reaction to God's faith in us. Another part of that natural reaction to God's faith is to want to do good works for God. Looking at it in this way both faith and works are reactions to God's faith, no dichotomy.

Upvote 0

Clare73

Blood-bought
Jun 12, 2012
North Carolina
✟278,671.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I studied this idea of faith and started realizing that many take faith to be a one way street. We have faith in God and that is part of our salvation. Then I realized that God first has faith in us. His faith was so strong that He sent his only son to be a visible sign of love and hope, to give us a basis for our faith that is not invisible or abstract. So perhaps we need to understand that our faith is a natural reaction to God's faith in us. Another part of that natural reaction to God's faith is to want to do good works for God. Looking at it in this way both faith and works are reactions to God's faith, no dichotomy.
Looking at it that way is contrary to the word of God written.

God sent his Son to pay the penalty for the sin of those who believe in and trust on the atoning work (blood, Ro 3:25) and person of Jesus Christ for the remission of their sin and right standing with God; i.e., "not guilty," declared righteous.

Upvote 0

tz620q

Site Supporter
Apr 19, 2007
Carmel, IN
✟575,416.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Looking at it that way is contrary to the word of God written.

God sent his Son to pay the penalty for the sin of those who believe in and trust on the atoning work (blood, Ro 3:25) and person of Jesus Christ for the remission of their sin and right standing with God; i.e., "not guilty," declared righteous.
Ephesian 2:4-10
"But God, being rich in mercy, because of the great love with which he loved us, even when we were dead in our trespasses, made us alive together with Christ—by grace you have been saved— and raised us up with him and seated us with him in the heavenly places in Christ Jesus, so that in the coming ages he might show the immeasurable riches of his grace in kindness toward us in Christ Jesus.
For by grace you have been saved through faith. And this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God, not a result of works, so that no one may boast. For we are his workmanship, created in Christ Jesus for good works, which God prepared beforehand, that we should walk in them."

This is usually the proof text used to support this subjective faith of the individual in God; but notice the order of events here. God's love of us, even when we do not have faith in Him, leads to mercy and His giving us grace. This grace is what raises us up to Christ Jesus and is the basis of our faith. So even faith cannot be counted a work, since it is based on God's grace, not our intellect.

Upvote 0

Clare73

Blood-bought
Jun 12, 2012
North Carolina
✟278,671.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Ephesian 2:4-10
"But God, being rich in mercy, because of the great love with which he loved us, even when we were dead in our trespasses, made us alive together with Christ—by grace you have been saved— and raised us up with him and seated us with him in the heavenly places in Christ Jesus, so that in the coming ages he might show the immeasurable riches of his grace in kindness toward us in Christ Jesus.
For by grace you have been saved through faith. And this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God, not a result of works, so that no one may boast. For we are his workmanship, created in Christ Jesus for good works, which God prepared beforehand, that we should walk in them."

This is usually the proof text used to support this subjective faith of the individual in God; but notice the order of events here. God's love of us, even when we do not have faith in Him, leads to mercy and His giving us grace. This grace is what raises us up to Christ Jesus and is the basis of our faith. So even faith cannot be counted a work, since it is based on God's grace, not our intellect.
Irrelevant response. . .has nothing to do with "God's faith in me," the subject of my post.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Jimmy It

Dec 4, 2023
Southwest
✟112,656.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
It seems this old debate never goes away.
It is not faith verses works, It is faith that works.
Even so, every good tree bears good fruit, but a bad tree bears bad fruit. 18 A good tree cannot bear bad fruit, nor can a bad tree bear good fruit. 19 Every tree that does not bear good fruit is cut down and thrown into the fire. 20 Therefore by their fruits you will know them.

This may have to do with why James wrote;
"Faith without works is dead."

Faith produces...
Think the story of the talents.
The fig tree.

Abraham went to slaughter Isaac. He believed and proved it. He believed God Himself would provide a sacrifice.
Noah built a huge boat in dry weather. He believed.
Abraham checked out Sarah and thought... Sure doesn't seem likely. Sarah was like, No a chance. They believed and put that faith into action.

This is faith that works. If they had not done the work their faith would be dead. They would not have proved their faith by their works.

Matt, 3:8
Produce fruit, then, in keeping with repentance. And do not presume to say to yourselves, ‘We have Abraham as our father.’ For I tell you that out of these stones God can raise up children for Abraham. The axe lies ready at the root of the trees, and every tree that does not produce good fruit will be cut down and thrown into the fire.

This is not directed at you Clare. I know you know

Upvote 0