Dec 10, 2003
✟312,047.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
John 31 So He said to the Jews who had believed Him, “If you continue in My word, you are truly My disciples. 32 Then you will know the truth, and the truth will set you free.”

It might be clearer if you say it inverted: the Lie will keep you captive.

That's true at several different levels.

Upvote 0

Wordkeeper

Oct 1, 2013
✟91,080.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
...continued.

Is Final Salvation Free or Contingent upon Obeying Commandments?

Does willful sin separate the elect from God?

If you keep sinning after you are saved are you still saved?

When believers are confused about the purpose of the Cross, they end up asking questions like these.

On the one hand, preachers teach that the work of Christ is sufficient. On the other side, we have the verses that deal with judgment, the righteous to a judgment of resurrection, and the lazy to a judgment of wrath.

A good way to think about it is to consider that the sufficiency is with regard to empowering believers, so that they can be how God fulfills His promise to Abraham, not how God admits them into heaven. Else the promise to Abraham is left hanging in the air.

The land is an important element in the process of salvation. When Israel is carried away into captivity in Babylon, they are impotent, unable to sing the Lord's song in a strange land. They must be IN the Promised Land, rest, a type of Christ, to BE Israel. The problem is existential. Equally important, whoever lives in the Land must serve God loyally. When the King of Assyria brought in settlers from Babylon to harness the Land, God sent lions that killed them, because they did not know how God was to be approached. No wonder the rest of Jerusalem feared to join Peter:

Acts of the Apostles 5
13No one else dared join them, even though they were highly regarded by the people.

How different from the easy believism taught in the church today.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Grip Docility

Nov 27, 2017
North America
✟86,691.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
John 31 So He said to the Jews who had believed Him, “If you continue in My word, you are truly My disciples. 32 Then you will know the truth, and the truth will set you free.”

What does mean? Does this mean that if we obey the commandments and the words in the sermon of the mount, someday, we will know what is the truth and then that truth will set us free?

The Truth is Jesus, and Jesus set us free from the Law of Sin and Death, Saved us and seals us unto eternal life. He goes even further and teaches, leads and guides us with His imparted Holy Spirit.

If the Son sets you free, you are therefore free, indeed!

• Winner
Reactions: Willing-heart
Upvote 0