Watervliet, MI
✟383,729.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Friends; I have been told by a Mennonite that Calvary Chapel has Anabaptist roots. Does anyone here have a resource referencing such a history?

Sorry, I went to CC Bible college, and I never heard anyone suggest that.

Upvote 0

food4thought

Loving truth
Site Supporter
Jul 9, 2002
Watervliet, MI
✟383,729.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Thank you for the response my friend. Perhaps I am confused.
I learned a long time ago that just because I haven't heard it doesn't mean it isn't true (HA... a triple negative in that sentence... enough to make an English teacher cry lol)

Upvote 0

food4thought

Loving truth
Site Supporter
Jul 9, 2002
Watervliet, MI
✟383,729.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I'm going to guess that because (I think) CC doesn't baptize babies that most would say one cane follow CC back to the Anabaptist. But most evangelicals today don't spend much time thinking about church history.

That is correct, CC does not baptize babies, although they will do a dedication ceremony.

Upvote 0

Mr. Noodles

Apr 4, 2017
United States
✟16,316.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Celibate
Chuck Smith, the founder of Calvary Chapel, was a Four Square pastor in his earlier years and maintained most of their theology. Four Square is a Pentecostal denomination founded by Aimee Semple McPherson. It is loosely connected with Holiness Movement, which descended from Wesleyanism, Wesleyanism descended from Anglicanism (Church of England.) So no, even though Calvary Chapel does not baptize babies, it is not directly descended from the Anabaptists. Neither are the Baptists, by the way.

• Agree
Reactions: Willie T
Upvote 0

Dave-W

Welcoming grandchild #7, Arturus Waggoner!
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Maryland - just north of D.C.
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
So no, even though Calvary Chapel does not baptize babies,
For what it is worth, other Classical Pentecostal groups that sprung from the Wesleyan Holiness movement (Assembly of God, Church of God in Christ, Church of God Cleveland TN, etc.) only do adult baptisms as well.

Upvote 0

Jesuscentered

Jul 27, 2017
Ontario
✟10,051.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anabaptist
Marital Status
Married
Friends; I have been told by a Mennonite that Calvary Chapel has Anabaptist roots. Does anyone here have a resource referencing such a history?
Honestly, I went to Calvary Chapels for many years, but I've never heard anything taught that I would consider Anabaptist. I'm an Anabaptist now, and personally, I wouldn't go back to Calvary Chapels. Most of them have gotten too political for me and have strayed from the faith, IMHO. Some of the things they teach are the exact opposite from Anabaptists.

Reactions: SteveIndy
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

the last child

This. this is my right eye—no left eye. sorry. Lol
Site Supporter
Oct 27, 2019
Frozen Tundra
✟56,874.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Divorced
Honestly, I went to Calvary Chapels for many years, but I've never heard anything taught that I would consider Anabaptist. I'm an Anabaptist now, and personally, I wouldn't go back to Calvary Chapels. Most of them have gotten too political for me and have strayed from the faith, IMHO. Some of the things they teach are the exact opposite from Anabaptists.

just out of curiosity what is the biggest divide in your opinion between anabaptist and Calvary chapel? Idk much about anabaptists btw

Upvote 0

the last child

Site Supporter
Oct 27, 2019
Frozen Tundra
✟56,874.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Divorced

Btw just curious as to why it matters what roots CC has??

Upvote 0

B8t6

Sep 28, 2019
Sheffield
✟2,997.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
just out of curiosity what is the biggest divide in your opinion between anabaptist and Calvary chapel? Idk much about anabaptists btw

I think the name Anabaptist means "one who baptizes again". Meaning they baptize a person again as adults when they make personal confession of faith in Jesus Christ even if they were baptized as infants, Im not sure what else they believe.

the last child

Are you a traveler ? The eye symbolism triggered the question ?

Upvote 0

the last child

Site Supporter
Oct 27, 2019
Frozen Tundra
✟56,874.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Divorced
I think the name Anabaptist means "one who baptizes again". Meaning they baptize a person again as adults when they make personal confession of faith in Jesus Christ even if they were baptized as infants, Im not sure what else they believe.

the last child

Are you a traveler ? The eye symbolism triggered the question ?

Unfortunately, I can’t do any traveling these days :( I wish I could bc I love traveling. As for my eye. I only took a pic of my right—left eye. A close up bc I used to do make up and nails as a hobby lol. So I’m afraid there’s nothing too deep behind the picture sorry. But thanks for the info.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

yeshuaslavejeff

simple truth, martyr, disciple of Yahshua
Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
Sorry, I went to CC Bible college, and I never heard anyone suggest that.
I'm going to guess that because (I think) CC doesn't baptize babies that most would say one cane follow CC back to the Anabaptist. But most evangelicals today don't spend much time thinking about church history.
I don't think the differences should be derailing this thread. There seem to be a lot of differences to me.
I'm not sure if they will be posted anywhere or not. We'll see, Yahuweh Willing.
Btw just curious as to why it matters what roots CC has??
Good roots lead to a good tree, or something like that - good start, good nourishment, and so on.

Upvote 0

B8t6

Sep 28, 2019
Sheffield
✟2,997.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Unfortunately, I can’t do any traveling these days :( I wish I could bc I love traveling. As for my eye. I only took a pic of my right—left eye. A close up bc I used to do make up and nails as a hobby lol. So I’m afraid there’s nothing too deep behind the picture sorry.

The one eye symbolism and left and right talk can cause one to think things in todays world if you understand what it means.

eye.jpg

Upvote 0

phydaux

Oct 22, 2014
Hudson, NH
✟14,248.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvary Chapel
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Chuck Smith, the founder of Calvary Chapel, was a Four Square pastor in his earlier years and maintained most of their theology. Four Square is a Pentecostal denomination founded by Aimee Semple McPherson. It is loosely connected with Holiness Movement, which descended from Wesleyanism, Wesleyanism descended from Anglicanism (Church of England.)

All of the above is correct. Thank you, Noodles.

Upvote 0