Wales
✟350,618.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
Single
I don't actually "lose", in this debate, between predator and prey, until you identify the difference, without mention of "relevance".

That's basically all you have: making my Evolution feel worthless.

In other words, every successive effort I make at understanding the compunction you say you have in your theory, the closer I get to redefining it - eventually, when you have redefined it, we will see your change for what it is.

I'll repeat what I said:
Machines don't evolve because they aren't biological organisms.
Really, Gotts, you REALLY need to actually learn about evolution. Like... actually study it.

And take your medicine while you're at it.

Upvote 0

Gottservant

God loves your words, may men love them also
Site Supporter
Aug 3, 2006
✟276,687.00
Faith
Messianic
I'm serious: everyone that comes to believe in Evolution, at some point wants to change it, but for the one that displaces it that understanding be tested.

You are basically setting me, or anyone, up for the fall, if they try to understand it in a context that is otherwise.

In the meantime, you condemn concepts like "naming Machine Evolution" as if, it hasn't been said dozens of times that anything evolves.

Where is your consistency?

I think what condemns you is that if you accept one Evolution is different from another, eventually the point in believing in a specific Evolution will be lost.

Which is more important "keeping Evolution the same" or "naming ways in which Evolutions are similar"?

Upvote 0

Warden_of_the_Storm

Oct 16, 2015
Wales
✟350,618.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
Single
I'm serious: everyone that comes to believe in Evolution, at some point wants to change it, but for the one that displaces it that understanding be tested.

You are basically setting me, or anyone, up for the fall, if they try to understand it in a context that is otherwise.

In the meantime, you condemn concepts like "naming Machine Evolution" as if, it hasn't been said dozens of times that anything evolves.

I think what condemns you is that if you accept one Evolution is different from another, eventually the point in believing in a specific Evolution will be lost.

Which is more important "keeping Evolution the same" or "naming ways in which Evolutions are similar"?

No-one is doing anything of the sort.
Gottservant, your understanding of what evolution actually is is incredibly poor. And you seem to not learn anything from what people tell you.
Again: actually read and learn about what evolution is and what the theory of evolution says.

Upvote 0

Ophiolite

Recalcitrant Procrastinating Ape
Nov 12, 2008
✟240,799.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
Those involved in the biological sciences are, naturally, involved in improving our understanding of the evolutionary process. That is what scientists do. However, improvement involves change, so your objection is ill-directed.
We do not yet know all there is to know about evolution. To avoid the change that seems to upset you we would have to forbid further scientific investigation. Do you seriously wish for that?

The process and progress of the scientific investigations of evolution are not established in order to confound anyone; quite the reverse Any one of average intellect and serious intent, properly directed, can readily grasp the fundamentals of evolution and lay to one side the details that lie at the margins of discovery. I sense, despite repeated advice in this regard, that you have failed to make the attempt. (It is not too late.)

Many words, probably most words, have multiple meanings. You are a fluent speaker and reader of English and should be well aware of this. There is no cause for you to be distressed by it. The evolution that seems most to interest you is biological evolution, the evolution that accounts for the diversity of life on this planet.

The principle feature that biological evolution has in common with the other forms of evolution (chemical, geological, stellar, etc.) is change. The other key traits of each are quite distinct. There is no reason to confuse them and your frequent tendency to so is a fault of your approach not of the science, or vocabulary.

Neither. Both are trivial and silly.

"Keeping evolution the same" is a ridiculous, pointless, impractical idea that directly assaults all sound principle of scientific investigation.

"Naming ways in Evolutions (sic) are similar", is an ideal essay subject for a high school English student, but has no place in the development or serious discussion of evolutionary theory of any kind (biological, galactic, chemical, etc., etc.)

Upvote 0

HARK!

שמע
Christian Forums Staff
Supervisor
Site Supporter
Oct 29, 2017
US
✟1,099,484.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
So what would you name "Machine Evolution"? I have a couple of ideas "Machinelation" "Machinelution" "machinagressus" (from the Latin "machina praegressus" - but I want to hear from you (specifically Evolutionists, at least at first)... what would you name it?

I'm ready! I'm waiting for a new machine to randomly spring up and assemble itself, from the minerals in the ground beneath it. I'm hoping for a new tractor first, something sporty.

Upvote 0

Speedwell

May 11, 2016
St Charles, IL
✟347,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
I'm ready! I'm waiting for a new machine to randomly spring up and assemble itself, from the minerals in the ground beneath it. I'm hoping for a new tractor first, something sporty.
Don't hold your breath. It didn't happen that way with biological organisms (at least not according to science); there is no reason to suppose it would happen with machines.

Upvote 0

FrumiousBandersnatch

Mar 20, 2009
✟326,742.00
Faith
Atheist
That's very interesting. i was taught that it is the productive traits that prevail. I guess you just can't believe everything that you hear.
Productive traits tend to prevail, but what is productive is contingent on context and circumstances.

Reactions: Jimmy D
Upvote 0

Kylie

Defeater of Illogic
Nov 23, 2013
✟302,097.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Hi there,

So I have come to the conclusion that Evolution deserves its own category. Due to Evolution getting its own category, it behoves the adept to begin to set out things which do not belong to Evolution - according to that category (but belong to that category, because the category is self-sufficient). My point is, there are types of Evolution, that also deserve their own place in that category.

Rather than set out candidate after candidate, I thought I would just choose one,, and give you the idea - from there, who knows, you might be able to name them all yourself.

The candidate for its own name, under Evolution's category, is "Machine Evolution". The concept "Machine Evolution" points to the idea that, yes, with the right set of prompts, a machine can evolve - we have early computers, later computers, quantum computers, the list goes on.

So what would you name "Machine Evolution"? I have a couple of ideas "Machinelation" "Machinelution" "machinagressus" (from the Latin "machina praegressus" - but I want to hear from you (specifically Evolutionists, at least at first)... what would you name it?

The point is, we are working within the construct of Evolution's category, not Evolution itself - so we are able to point to things which evolve, without expecting Evolution to evolve (either itself, or other categories with it).

Have I made naming "Machine Evolution" clear enough?

What you are talking about is not evolution.

Evolution requires the things that are evolving to be able to reproduce themselves. So far, machines do not reproduce themselves in the way that evolution requires.

Upvote 0

Strathos

No one important
Dec 11, 2012
God's Earth
✟263,276.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
I'll help define a new kind of evolution, and I'll even name it after you!

Gottservant Evolution - A type of evolution that makes no sense, and can only be described with word salad.

Upvote 0

Gottservant

God loves your words, may men love them also
Site Supporter
Aug 3, 2006
✟276,687.00
Faith
Messianic
I'll help define a new kind of evolution, and I'll even name it after you!

Gottservant Evolution - A type of evolution that makes no sense, and can only be described with word salad.

See? You were holding back on the real love, all this time?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums