lillivanilli

May the schwartz be with you.
Dec 5, 2011
✟8,164.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I am an adult adoptee. I wrote this article in an attempt to educate, to enlighten, and to increase understanding about the often overlooked side of the adoption equation - the adoptee. Please don't take it as an insult, or an attempt to dissuade adopting...take it as a heartfelt plea from one who has lived 38 years with the effects of adoption. Adoption is never simple; it is never black or white. I think anyone who is considering adoption (or already has adopted) needs to hear this, and it is my hope, that you will do so with an open heart, an open mind, and know that it is not meant to judge or condemn or shame.

To all adoptive parents, hopeful adoptive parents, and anyone who has ever even considered adoption:

Being adopted hurts. Being adopted is hard. It is not beautiful; it is brutal, it is tragic, it is a cause for great sadness. For in order for a child to even be available for adoption, that child must first go through some sort of tragedy; whether that be abuse, hunger, homelessness, neglect, or even the simple fact that he or she is losing the life and family he or she was born into. This makes adoption a thing to mourn; not a cause for celebration or joy. To be joyful about adopting a child is to be glad that this tragedy happened.

I don't think there's a soul alive who would actually choose to be born into a situation where being relinquished for adoption, voluntarily or otherwise, was necessary.

Of course there will always be a need for children to be removed from their parent(s) and placed in safer, more stable, loving homes - but please understand that no matter how good and loving and wonderful the adopting parents are, nothing will ever erase the pain, the grief, and the loss that comes with being adopted.

The very foundation of adoption is that of loss - a child loses his or her mother, father, and entire family; a mother, father and family loses one of their children. And, yes, even a loss for the adopting parent - sometimes the loss of the expectation of having their own, biological offspring, the loss of a dream of having a baby of "their own." A separation of one family MUST occur before a new one can be built through adoption. Maybe it isn't a voluntary destruction, maybe the destruction is necessary for the health and safety of the child - but it is still a destruction of the very core, fundamental foundations of that child's life that will forever be altered.

Think of it this way...one of your parents dies, and your surviving parent eventually goes on to remarry. Though you might grow to love and have a great relationship with your parent's new spouse, no amount of love and happiness in this present situation will erase the grief you feel over the loss of your other parent. So please, if you have adopted or are considering adoption, keep this in mind.

Adoption should be the very last resort after all other options have been tried. Ask yourself this - does an adoption HAVE to happen? Is there anything I can possibly do to help this young mother keep her child? Are there resources I can direct her to, items I can supply her with, can I offer her the support and encouragement she needs to be a good parent? If so, then pursuing adoption is not the right choice. Too many unnecessary adoptions happen as a permanent solution to a very temporary problem. Adoption, after all, is forever - while a current living situation, job situation, etc., is temporary and can be changed and improved. Most women who relinquish their children do so because they feel they have no other choice...but what if she does have another choice, and only needs the support and encouragement to make it?

Adopted people know we are a second choice, a "Plan B," a solution to someone else's problem. While there are some people out there who would choose adoption first, most only do so after failed attempts at pregnancy or to "complete" a family of all boys or girls or to give their current child a sibling. Adding to your family through adoption should never be about meeting some need of your own...it should always and only ever be about providing for the CHILD'S needs. Please don't put the added pressure on an adopted child by forcing them to live up to the unspoken standard of the child you couldn't concieve or the son or daughter you couldn't produce. Adoption is not a cure for infertility, nor are adopted people "gifts" to be passed around in order to complete somebody else's life. We are human beings in our own right, with our own feelings, needs, and wants. Don't add to an already painful situation by expecting us to be something we weren't born to be.

Please be willing to be completely open and honest with the child you may someday adopt. It doesn't matter how horrible of a situation they came out of; tell them the truth, and tell them early. For the truth can be dealt with, it can be processed and closure can be found; but nobody can get closure from fantasies and daydreams. Adopted people are stronger than you give them credit for; believe me when I say, we imagine and prepare for every possible scenario when it comes to our families or origin. Don't think we haven't entertained the idea that our biological parents were the worst of the worst, or idealized them as some sort of saintly creatures, and everything in between. We have already survived the loss of our original families; don't for one minute think we can't survive knowing the reason why. And on that note, if an adopted person ever chooses to search, reunite, or just know more about their family of origin, don't guilt them into not doing it or make them feel beholden to you. It has NOTHING to do with you. NOTHING. Human beings are born with an innate curiosity about who and where we come from. For some adopted people to feel whole, they need to know their own personal history and explore their roots. There's nothing wrong with that. After all, you, as the parent, are responsible for your adopted child's happiness and well being...not the other way around. Swallow your pride, put away your jealousy, and support your adopted child in any quest for truth they may wish to undertake. Believe me, they will thank you for it.

Don't fall into the terminology trap. Adoptees know they have more than one set of parents...two that created them, and the parent(s) who are raising them. ALL are real to the adoptee. Don't get caught up in who is "real" and who is more important; let your adopted child choose the terminology that suits THEM. If you have been a good and loving parent, that's all you need. Besides, a parent can love more than one child, so why can't a child be allowed to love more than one parent? The heart has an infinite capability to love. Don't begrudge your adopted child the possibility of loving people he or she may not even remember. If you want to be "number one" in your child's life, show them that you are willing to be "number two."

And don't disparage the biological parents or family either. They may be evil people, the scum of the earth...but to say anything bad about the biological family is the same as saying something bad about your adopted child. The child did come from these people, after all; and better or worse we did inherit parts of ourselves from them. The old saying applies here more than anywhere else...if you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all.

Adopted people experience a range of issues from having been adopted...many suffer from the fear of rejection and abaondonment, have problems trusting others and forming relationships. After all, our very mothers could walk away from us, so what's to stop anyone else? Though not all adoptees experience these, many do, and to varying degrees. Just because the adopted person in your life hasn't mentioned it, don't think they don't feel it. Many will never, ever talk about their negative adoption issues for those exact reasons...fear of rejection, fear of abandonment, and just the overwhelmingly negative response they expect. If the adopted person in your life (your child, a friend or other family member) ever does talk about it, take your personal feelings and judgments out of it. Resist the temptation to say things like, "But you had such wonderful [adoptive] parents!" or "but you could have been aborted/thrown in a dumpster/etc.!" Adoptees are the only subset of society who are wholly expected to be grateful for our very lives, and with this expectation comes the need to try to suppress any negative emotion or feeling. Most adoptees won't even admit to themselves, let alone other people, that they are hurting. After all, we got this "better life," didn't we? We don't have the RIGHT to feel sad/angry/depressed. So many adoptees choose to stay silent and instead live a lie.

And, yes, that goes hand-in-hand with the child-parent relationship thing...remember, the PARENT is repsonsible for the health and well being of the CHILD, NOT the other way around. Only in adoption are adoptees somehow expected to always be careful not to "hurt" their adoptive parents; not to rock the boat or bring up something about their adoption because their PARENTS might not like it. This is another reason so many adopted people don't speak about adoption...we are afraid of hurting our adoptive parents. I know that as a parent myself, I would never expect my children to be responsible for my well-being...so please, don't ever place that expectation on adopted people either. After all, their adoptive parents WANTED to adopt, they WANTED a child, and chose this path for themselves. The adoptee most often did not choose it and had no say in the matter.

Don't expect gratitude. ANYONE could have been aborted, could have been abandoned, could have been abused. These are not phenomena that are solely related to adoptees. Just because a person was adopted doesn't automatically mean they were unwanted, that they "could have been" anything...they are just people who are being raised by a different family and are living a DIFFERENT life, not necessarily a better one.

Please, if you are considering adoption or have already, educate yourself. Read books such as the Primal Wound. Read blogs by adopted people and relinquishing parents. Go into it with an open mind and open heart. Understand that there is the very real potential that the child you someday adopt might just struggle with it. And while you can be a terrific parent, a wonderful guide and mentor, the damage has already been done. Be prepared to do the hard work of helping your child deal with any grief, anger, and other issues he/she may feel. TALK to them about it. Adoptees are notorious for keeping things bottled up...let them know it's OK to talk with you about them. Reassure them that you will NOT be hurt, offended or damaged by their feelings. ALLOW them the freedom to feel whatever they feel.

If you are considering an open adoption or have entered into an open adoption, HONOR that. Unless there is some clear and present danger to the life of your child, KEEP THE COMMUNICATION OPEN. Don't cease contact with the biological family because it's an inconvenience for YOU. Understand that yes, at times it might be emotionally trying for your adopted child, your child may come away from visits or reading letters and feel depressed and angry, but don't take that as a reason to cease contact. TALK to your child. Help them understand WHY they are feeling this way. It's only natural that this might happen; and in the same breath, the biological mother/father/family may also feel overwhelmed at times and pull back, but do what you can to keep the lines of communication open. Remember, adoption is based on loss, and being reminded of that loss can be overwhelming. But that doesn't mean it should be avoided. Your adopted child will thank you someday for sacrificing your own happiness and comfort to allow him/her to keep this very important connection.

Try not to make a big celebration out of your child's adoption day (and PLEASE don't EVER use the horribly offensive and insensitive term "Gotcha" Day). The same goes for birthdays. For while it may be a happy occasion to remember, keep in mind that it also marks the day that the adopted person was permanently and forever separated from their mother, their father, their original family. Birthdays are especially hard; for most adoptees have the knowldedge that our births were not cause for celebration; nobody was bringing our mothers flowers and balloons and offering congratulations; our entrance into this world was one of sadness and trepidation. And it marks the day we were phyisically separated from our mothers; for many of us, it was the last time we ever saw her. So if the adoptee in your life withdraws around his or her birthday or doesn't appear to like celebrating, respect that. Understand that to many of us, it is not a cause for celebration.

Again, I am not trying to tell anyone not to adopt. I am not saying, "shame on you" to anyone who already has adopted. What I am saying is, please step back and really think long and hard about the ramifications of adoption on the very person who is at the center of it all - the child you hope for or the child you have brought into your home. Be ready and willing to put a lot of hard work into helping this adopted child heal, to feel whole and complete in themselves. Be prepared to put your own needs and wants on the shelf and to put away your expectations, do what it takes to attend to the needs of your adopted child. All the love in the world, all the toys and gadgets and material things you might provide will never replace or erase what was lost.

Family preservation should always be the goal. Adoption should never, ever be utilized unless it is the last and only option left. Because adoption should be about finding homes for children in need; NOT finding children for people to fill a need. Jesus commanded us to help the orphan AND the widow...we as a society should do more to help famlies stay together instead of tearing them apart. Nobody really wants to be adopted...if given a choice, they'd rather their family situations could improve so that they wouldn't have to be separated. I know that as much as I love my adoptive parents and family, at the end of the day, I'd really rather that someone had had the courage to support my mother and father so they didn't have to give me away in the first place.

Sincerely,
An adult adoptee

CoramDeo1

Feb 22, 2012
✟15,608.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
This is very well stated, and I very much enjoyed reading your perspective. I have the opportunity of being on both sides of this issue. I was adopted at age 2 and never felt like I was really a part of my adoptive family. I grew up, got married, and gave birth to 3 children. I had the perfect little family with a girl and two boys. Life felt like a fairy tale, quite honestly. I finally felt that sense of belonging to people that were blood related to me. 12 years after my oldest child was born, we adopted two children. Boy 8, girl 6. We knew the biological family personally, and there was no way to preserve the family unit. The abuse was horrid. All of that to say, the horrible abuse of these two children and the scars it has left, don't begin to compare with the loss and abandonment issues they face everyday. I second the reading of "Primal Wound." Adoption is a better option, but at great cost to the child. Thank you for your frank and honest letter. I, for one, appreciated it.

Erin

Reactions: fantastical
Upvote 0

lillivanilli

Dec 5, 2011
✟8,164.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Thanks Erin for your kind words! It was a little scary for me to put that out there, but I'm glad you appreciated it. :) I'm glad your two adopted children have such a compassionate and understanding mom to love them!

There are just so many layers to adoption - it's wonderful and tragic all at the same time. I for one am so thankful I had the family I did to grow up in...but at the same time, knowing the circumstances surrounding my relinquishment, it makes me sad that society has such a lax attitude on helping families stay together. There really was no reason for me to be adopted besides the societal views in 1973 being that a 19 year old woman can't be a single parent. It destroyed her - quite literally. And I know it's not my fault but I feel guilty every day that I wasn't there for my younger brother and sister. Meeting them 20-some years later does not make up for all those years spent apart.

But anyway - I tend to get long winded so I'll be quiet now. :p

Upvote 0

makeitwork

Feb 23, 2012
✟15,461.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
so is the child better off staying in an orphanage not giving a chance of life?
my children were all adopted from the ages of 2 months to 5 months old and were all born in under developed country.
they have love, freedom, toys, clothes, food, doctors, the best schooling, and of course they know who JESUS is.
i just had a parent teacher conference and it brought tears to my eyes when the teachers were talking about my children how well they are doing.
or when it's christmas or their birthdays and they open up their gifts what a humble experience it is for me to witness or when i tell them about JESUS and how much HE loves them.
so many memories and more to come.
they are my babies period.

Upvote 0

makeitwork

Feb 23, 2012
✟15,461.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
you said that being adopted hurts, it's hard, it's not beautiful, it's brutal, it is tragic, and causes great saddness.

my children are happy, healthy, most importantly know who JESUS is. they know that they came from my mommy heart and not her stomach, they each have their video and scrapbook of their adoption.

i want you to understand something, my husband offspring were very little and very low, so we had choices, offspring donor NO WAY, divorce my husband NO, forfeit my ability to have natural born children, or try invitro.

after doing invitro, being tortured with the meds they put me thru, having 5 embros put in me that didn't survive, and $15,000 plus i wished we would have adopted sooner.

the bio mothers didn't abort their children, they gave them up for a better life than what they have.
the bio mothers don't want to have anything to do with their children, no letters, no pictures nothing.

i am all my children have and know thanks to JESUS.

"you shall not mistreat any widow for the fatherless child. if you do mistreat them, and they cry out to me, i shall surely hear their cry, and my wrath will burn, and i will kill you with the sword, and your wives shall become widows, and your chlidren fatherless." exodus 22:22-24

Last edited:
Upvote 0

lillivanilli

Dec 5, 2011
✟8,164.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I don't understand your hostility, but I guess there's not much I can do except to say that I stand by my truth as an adopted person who has LIVED this life for 38 years.

I will pray that God softens your heart and gives you peace. I don't know what else to say, because I won't apologize for writing something that God put into my heart and mind and called me to write.

I won't ask you to try to understand my feelings - but I sure hope you will be more open and gentle with the children you took in to your home and heart. I would never wish sadness and loss on anyone, but if it should ever occur, I hope you will be able to address it with them in a loving way and help them overcome whatever struggles they may have. IF they have them (not trying to say they will.)

Peace to you and your family.

Upvote 0

makeitwork

Feb 23, 2012
✟15,461.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
there's no hostility, is just your generalizing that all adoptions are like you said, "hard, it hurts, it not beautiful, it's brutial, it's tragic, great sadness", it's not true.

my desires in my heart to adopt came from CHRIST and HE gave us the finances to do so. i never forced my husband to adopt the desire in his heart came from CHRIST. my children are not a pawn in my life of parenting, nor a second thought.

you need to read the bible about orphans and how we are all GOD children.
whatever happened to you is not happening and will never happen to my children.
you need healing from your past and forgiving others that did you wrong.

i had an abusive childhood, my father didn't know, my mother knew and would witness the beatings my siblings would give me and did nothing, and my oldest cousin molested me for 2 years, i told my mother and again she did nothing.

BUT 8 years ago i claimed CHRIST as my LORD and SAVIOR and there's been a WHOLE LOT OF HEALING thank you JESUS.

no more feeling betrayed by my mother, no more bitterness, no more hatred, resentment, loneliness, or being ashamed, and JESUS gave me the strength to have a heart to heart with my parents, i use to practice what i would say to them and it was done.

i don't let my past paralyze me anymore, and i am still a work in progress thank you JESUS.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

lillivanilli

Dec 5, 2011
✟8,164.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Well, if my feelings don't apply to your children then you have nothing to worry about, do you? You can sleep well knowing they will be ok. :) And that's a GOOD thing.

I'm sorry if my asking for a little compassion toward adopted people is so offensive to you. No doubt, there are lots of perfectly happy adopted people on the planet. But no doubt, there are others who struggle with it. Is that so hard to understand?

Yes, adoption is tragic - you don't think it's a tragic thing when a mother and child have to be separated? You don't find great sadness in the fact that many women around the world don't have the means to provide for their beloved children? You don't think it's tragic when any child is in a bad situation and has to be removed from their family? I do. I think it's very sad. But we don't life in a perfect world, so therefore adoption is necessary...and GOOD when done correctly! But even in these situations, you don't think that child has a right to their feelings of loss - for WHATEVER circumstance led to it? You don't think an adopted person should be allowed to grieve those losses even while celebrating their blessings?

You seem to think my feelings are some sort of personal assault on you for having adopted - I urge you to read what I wrote again. Nowhere did I say adoptive parents are bad people. Nowhere did I say adoption itself is bad - it's the REASONS for adoption having to happen that are a very real possible cause for feelings of loss & grief. Abandonment, abuse, poverty, all the things that necessitate the removal of a child from their family of birth, are SAD THINGS. They are TRAGIC THINGS. And the subsequent adoption by a good and loving family, even though it is a wonderful thing, doesn't automatically cancel out those feelings of loss. Those feelings of, why didn't my mother love me enough to keep me? Why couldn't she get herself together for my sake? Why did she hurt me? Those are thoughts and feelings that MANY adoptees have. I can't say all, but I administrate a forum for adult adoptees and of the hundreds of members we have, I can safely tell you that EVERY. SINGLE. PERSON. who has joined my forum talks about these feelings. I imagine the adoptees who don't feel that way, aren't out joining support groups - but the fact that so many of them ARE should be a good indicator that what I say is true - for SOME adoptees, we feel hurt. We feel loss. We even feel anger.

But like I said - if it doesn't apply to your children, then you have no reason to worry about what this one adoptee has to say...so go give them all a big hug & a kiss and be content with the knowledge that they are ok. :)

Upvote 0

makeitwork

Feb 23, 2012
✟15,461.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
abuse is abuse, physical, mental, emotional, sexual, and even verbal.
i shared what i went thru as a child and these were my bio parents, siblings, and cousin.
so i understand the betrayal, the whys, the pity party, because i went thru it myself.
BUT there comes a day when you come to terms with what has happen to you with having a personal relationship with JESUS so HE can heal you, HE can stop letting your hurt from your past paralyze your present and future, forgive those that have hurt you, and have HIS peace.
all i know is that you need healing from this, and the first step is to realize you weren't a mistake, or to blame, you didn't do anything wrong.
"every good and perfect gift is from above, coming down from the FATHER of the heavenly lights, who does not change like shifting shadows." james 1:17

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

lillivanilli

Dec 5, 2011
✟8,164.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
abuse is abuse, physical, mental, emotional, sexual, and even verbal.
i shared what i went thru as a child and these were my bio parents, siblings, and cousin.
so i understand the betrayal, the whys, the pity party, because i went thru it myself.
BUT there comes a day when you come to terms with what has happen to you with having a personal relationship with JESUS so HE can heal you, HE can stop letting your hurt from your past paralyze your present and future, forgive those that have hurt you, and have HIS peace.
all i know is that you need healing from this, and the first step is to realize you weren't a mistake, or to blame, you didn't do anything wrong.
"every good and perfect gift is from above, coming down from the FATHER of the heavenly lights, who does not change like shifting shadows." james 1:17

Oh I have found healing, thank Jesus for that. :thumbsup: And I thank you for your compassion.

I just had the overwhelming urge to write that letter one day as I was driving home from work...out of the blue, the words came flooding in and I had to write them down. I have no doubt God wanted me to write it, and put the word out there...not to disparage anyone for adopting, but to remind the world that there is another side to it, and to ask that people please allow any adopted person in their lives to acknowledge and process those feelings. It's something that is just so hard for many of us to do.

It's SO much better to be able to find healing with the help of those who love you, instead of keeping it all bottled up inside and trying to ignore or stuff those feelings.

I think a lot of adopted people do just that, for fear of hurting their adoptive parents. I know I did, and mine never even gave me a reason to think I COULDN'T come to them...it was just always there, that fear, that need to make sure THEY were ok no matter the cost to me. Part of it is that fear of rejection, because if my own mother could leave me, what's to stop anybody else? (Something I don't believe now, but for a large part of my life, I felt that way). It wasn't until I found my large circle of online adoptee friends and saw that I wasn't alone in this that I was finally able to heal. Being able to TALK about it, openly, with no guilt or shame or fear of hurting anyone's feelings. Because all too often, IRL, it is met with the "you coulda been aborted/left in dumpster/languished in foster care" which is basically a means to shut us down. To tell us we don't even deserve to be alive much less have an opinion about it.

Oh I'm rambling again. I wish I could just make a point and state it!

Upvote 0

makeitwork

Feb 23, 2012
✟15,461.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
i know a couple that couldn't have children so they adopted a little girl never told her she was adopted and now she's 18 years old.

we hang around with the same group of people and at times are invited to the same parties, but when they see me and my children they run the other way.

another thing i noticed, the older the generation the harder it is for them to understand my love for my children. i get remarks like oh but your not their real mother, or what if they decide to go back to their countries to look for their real mother? or do they get along? this is a good one what if the real mother comes to the states looking for their children? than they will be taken away. hehehehe

i don't let there remarks bother me cause GOD knows how big my heart is.

i am glad you have a personal relationship with JESUS and that each day your healing.

Upvote 0

lillivanilli

Dec 5, 2011
✟8,164.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
People can be really insensitive. And they just don't understand. Of COURSE you are their mother! But if they want to find out about their origins someday, it doesn't mean they don't love you or want to replace you. A lot of people gave me a hard time for reuniting with my biological family - but you know, it was what I needed for me...my adoptive parents were the best and I love them dearly - but there was just such a gaping hole inside because I didn't know anything about where I came from. Seeing myself reflected back at me in my blood relatives was astounding. Seeing my personality, my mannerisms, my interests in other people who also share them...it was like a revelation. It's funny, I always felt like I just materialized from out of nowhere as a baby...but I actually felt like a real person, who was actually born, once I could see where, what, and who I came from. It's hard to explain!

My mom supported me totally when I decided to search, and I'm so glad she did. Because she knew it wasn't a competition, it was just about me doing what I needed to do to feel whole. I appreciate her so much for that. I just wish she had lived longer so she could have met them too! But now I have even more people to love in my life...what a blessing!

Upvote 0

Flipper

Flippant Dolphin
Feb 19, 2003
✟12,928.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Hi lillivanilli. I just want you to know that I get what you are saying. Completely.

It is tough for adoptive parents to hear, but we are doing such a disservice to our children, and is very selfish of us, if we assume that all our adopted kids need is love, and everything falls into place. It doesn't work that way. Even if your situation with your biological parents was horrid by the rest of our standards, it was all you knew. It was your life. You were ripped from that existence and put in another existence with strangers, strange sounds, strange smells, strange foods (in the case of international adoption). It's still traumatic, even if the kids seem to be adjusting well, and we need to be mindful of that. In fact, they may be fine now, but something later could trigger attachment issues. That's why we need to stay in tune with our kids all the way through high school, so when signs are exhibited, it can be addressed sooner rather than later.

We brought home a biological brother and sister, 5 and 4 at the time, from Ethiopia almost 2 years ago. They bonded with us almost immediately, and they are sweet, happy kids. However, we were trained in what to look for, and there are some attachment issues in our youngest that cropped and we are currently seeing a therapist. You wouldn't know it seeing how we interact with each other, but it's definitely there.

We let them talk about their biological family and what they remember of Ethiopia any time they want. If they ask questions, we tell them the truth in the most age appropriate way possible. We also celebrate their culture, Ethiopian holidays, enjoy Ethiopian food, etc. We celebrate their birth parents. We do any little bit we can do to remind them of where they came from. If they ever want to go back, they definitely can, and thankfully we have information that will help them locate their birth family. They have an overabundance of love, but DH and I are smart enough to know that Love doesn't solve everything.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

ex-pat

Building my house...
Jun 30, 2011
Canada
✟16,064.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
Thank you for posting this. My husband and I are currently taking adoption preparation classes, and while we've done extensive reading before hand, wanted to thank you for posting this. We both agree with you heartily about the feelings of a child. We are looking to adopt a sibling group, and are adopting children who are wards of Canada...meaning that for whatever reason they have been taken from their parents due to some trauma, be it neglect of any sort, or outright physical violence. These are children whose parents have been given many chances to clean up their acts, and been unable to, for whatever reason. They've been in foster care for up to one year each time they've been uprooted. I agree that it's a horrible thing to do to a child, and that every attempt should be made to keep families together as much as possible, and to be on the alert for those tiny trial balloons children float to see if you'll be receptive to a BIG confidence, and we both have no problems talking easily and often to children about their adoption. We plan to try to keep biological families (aunts, uncles, grandparents, parents) in the loop, with visits if possible, and photos and updates unless the courts determine this to be absolutely unsafe for the children. Even then, when the children are adults (18 here), we'll do all we can to help them locate their birthparents if they wish.

Some questions for you or any adoptees...You mentioned birthdays as traumatic for many children, and I wondered for those of you who were adopted as older children whether the date(s) of being torn from their families and placed into foster care were equally traumatic? I imagine that similar weather conditions, even, could trigger problems (rain, snow, bright sun, etc.)

Do any adult adoptees recall having more trouble from friends and family comments about their adoptions than from their adoptive parents comments?

A couple of questions

Upvote 0

ex-pat

Building my house...
Jun 30, 2011
Canada
✟16,064.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
Also, it may interest the OP to know that nearly twelve hours of these classes dealt with the fact that the child in question had suffered HUGE losses. Through adoptive parents coming in, to films, to case studies...the social workers made it crystal clear that these children had had traumatic losses. Not sure if it helps you to know that some countries make that clear to potential adoptive parents.

Upvote 0

motherprayer

Elisha
Jul 12, 2012
Visit site
✟19,375.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I am a birthmother of twins. Adoption is like everything else: your perception of it is defined by your own experience. The mistake we humans tend to make is to try to use our individual experiences to shape our ideas of what others go through. I truly am sorry that your personal experience of the adoption process was painful, and I will pray that you can be healed from your hurt.
But I also want to tell you that your experience wasn't anything like mine or my children's. They were told the truth about having been adopted, and their parents have put a lot of effort in helping them to understand what happened. There was no abuse in our situation, I simply did not have a place to bring my babies home to.
Now in my case, I could say that adoptions are very beneficial and positive, if I were to use my own experience as a rule. But I am aware that every persons experience with adoption is different.

Upvote 0