Arizona
✟530,314.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Yesterday I found a website that shows you where Early Church Writers quote Bible Verses.

let's say you are looking for instances where Early Church Writers quote or mention Ephesians 6:12 :

"For we do not wrestle against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this age, against spiritual hosts of wickedness in the heavenly places."
- Ephesians 6:12

You type in the verse and then it shows you a bunch of quotes and mentions of the Bible verse from Ignatius, Irenaeus, Clement, Tertullian, Cyprian, Etc.

Check it out :

JSRG

Apr 14, 2019
Midwest
✟161,101.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
While a useful site, one should be aware of its limitations. It is based on the Early Church Father collection at CCEL (which itself is a compilation of the Ante Nicene Fathers translations and the Nicene and Post Nicene Fathers translations) which means that if a work isn't included in that, it won't show up. So a bunch of works, like Jerome's various biblical commentaries or Irenaeus's Demonstration of the Apostolic Preaching, won't show up there.

Another site that offers a "citation index" for early Christian writings is biblindex (click on the "Patristic Tools" at the top and choose Search). I believe it has more works indexed than the above (though it doesn't seem to have them all either), but on the other hand its method of presenting citations is very confusing and sometimes it pops up with citations that I'm not sure are accurate.

Upvote 0