Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Some might think I'm cooky, but I believe in the Bible. The earth is the supernatural product of a supernatural Creator. That means that many things would have an appearance of age, all the way down to the molecular level. In addition, we know nothing regarding the matter God used to create man and beast. God formed man and beast out of the earth. What if the earth God used was created with an appearance of millions of years? There are just so many variables that would throw modern dating methods way off for me to put 100% trust in them.

I personally believe that God created the heavens and the earth we know in 6 literal days and rested on the 7th. I believe that this world was much different from the world we know. It was filled with a wide variety of species that are currently extinct. It was a single continent. And yes, I believe that many species are extinct today on account of the flood, primarily what we call "prehistoric" creatures. I believe that the flood produced massive global sedimentation, geological disturbances, and fossilization. You know, the whole "Young Earth" theory. I believe that the flood was such a massive geological event that it broke up the single continent into what we essentially know today as 7 continents.

The flood lasted roughly a year. Much, if not most, of the water at the poles would have been frozen into massive sheets of polar ice. As the flood waters receded these massive ice caps would have remained, locking up a significant amount of flood water. While the waters that were not frozen in the poles receded, land bridges would have been exposed throughout the world. These land bridges would have provided ample clearance for human beings (and animals) to settle distant lands such as Australia.

Throughout the Northern hemisphere, this would have been a period best described as an Ice Age. However, in time the earth's temperature no doubt began to stabilize and warm. A significant amount of the waters locked up and frozen in the polar ice cap would have melted, leading to raging rivers and rising sea levels. These rising sea levels would have covered over many of the land bridges connecting the continents, leaving mankind separated. This rise in sea level would have trapped mankind as we were scattered among the 7 continents. And it was at this time that we can say that the world was "divided".

In Genesis we read...

Genesis 10:25 (ESV)
"To Eber were born two sons: the name of the one was Peleg, for in his days the earth was divided, and his brother's name was Joktan."​

The earth was sufficiently and completely divided once these land bridges were covered by the melting ice from the ice caps. The name Peleg is a clue. The name Peleg means: pe'-leg (pelegh, 'watercourse,' 'division'). Peleg's name hails back to a time when the earth was divided by a significant increase in flowing waters (flooding rivers) and rising sea levels (covering land bridges). Peleg's name points to a time marked by waters dividing the land as they covered they previously exposed land bridges.

And so we have the world that we know today.

Last edited:
Reactions: prodromos
Upvote 0

Brightmoon

Apes and humans are all in family Hominidae.
Mar 2, 2018
NYC
✟151,950.00
Country
United States
Faith
Episcopalian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Peleg’s name is probably a pun in Hebrew . There are other puns in Genesis ( Adam being made of dirt is a pun) as well as numerology Which points this being a folktale or parable rather than a history . I’ve never believed in the Flood after I realized that it’s impossible for 8 people to take care of that many animals . A visit to the Bronx zoo was the end of that belief.
17-19th century explorers looked hard for geological evidence of the Flood which they obviously never found as any biblical version of the Flood would have had the entire earth’s surface hotter than needed to melt lead.

Upvote 0

prodromos

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Nov 28, 2003
Sydney, Straya
✟1,181,104.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Peleg’s name is probably a pun in Hebrew . There are other puns in Genesis ( Adam being made of dirt is a pun) as well as numerology Which points this being a folktale or parable rather than a history . I’ve never believed in the Flood after I realized that it’s impossible for 8 people to take care of that many animals . A visit to the Bronx zoo was the end of that belief.
17-19th century explorers looked hard for geological evidence of the Flood which they obviously never found as any biblical version of the Flood would have had the entire earth’s surface hotter than needed to melt lead.
Moses was sustained by God on Mt Sinai for 40 days without food or drink. Do you really think an ark full of animals will be a problem for God. I don't understand people's need for natural explanations of obviously supranatural events.

Upvote 0

JackRT

Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2015
small town Ontario, Canada
✟767,295.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Unorthodox
Marital Status
Married
There are other puns in Genesis ( Adam being made of dirt is a pun)

Genesis 2 begins with God creating ha'adam from ha'adama. This Hebrew pun literally means "the earth creature from the earth". It is usually quite difficult to preserve a pun in translation from one language to another but in English we might say, "the human from the humus". Note that ha'adam is not yet at this point a proper name but merely indicates what it is. In Hebrew it is a nephesh or "living creature".

Upvote 0