Farmergal

Dec 31, 2015
West Coast
✟7,986.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Others might argue, Adam and Eve were the only created beings, the rest of human kind are procreated. I do not hold that souls are in a place waiting for their birth into a human body.

We are born into sin because of Adam and Eve (they were created into a utopian environment), in order to be saved, we must be born again, a spiritual rebirth.

Upvote 0

Daniel Marsh

Jun 28, 2015
Livingston County, MI, US
✟199,779.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Others might argue, Adam and Eve were the only created beings, the rest of human kind are procreated. I do not hold that souls are in a place waiting for their birth into a human body.

We are born into sin because of Adam and Eve (they were created into a utopian environment), in order to be saved, we must be born again, a spiritual rebirth.

Good points Farmer Gal. Judaism teaches (at least the type I was exposed to ) taught that we are born innocent, without sin and that we are in a corrupt environment made by Adam and Eve.

"An explicit statement of the doctrine of the preexistence of the soul is found in the Apocrypha: "All souls are prepared before the foundation of the world" (Slavonic Book of Enoch, xxiii. 5); and according to II Esd. iv. 35 et seq. the number of the righteous who are to come into the world is foreordained from the beginning. All souls are, therefore, preexistent, although the number of those which are to become incorporated is not determined at the very first. As a matter of fact, there are souls of different quality. Solomon says (Wisdom viii. 19 et seq., R. V.): "Now I was a child of parts, and a good soul fell to my lot; nay, rather, being good, I came into a body undefiled." The body returns to earth when its possessor "is required to render back the soul which was lent him" (ib. xv. 8, R. V.). The Syriac Apocalypse of Baruch xxx. 2-3 (Kautzsch, "Apokryphen," ii. 423) distinguishes between righteous and common souls in the following passage, which describes the Messianic period and which is characteristic of the concept of preexistence: "The storehouses in which the foreordained number of souls is kept shall be opened, and the souls shall go forth, and the many souls shall appear all at once, as a host with one mind. And the first shall rejoice, and the last shall not be sad."

SOUL - JewishEncyclopedia.com

Accept Terms and Conditions on JSTOR

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Daniel Marsh

Jun 28, 2015
✟199,779.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
John 9
Good News Translation

9 As Jesus was walking along, he saw a man who had been born blind. 2 His disciples asked him, “Teacher, whose sin caused him to be born blind? Was it his own or his parents' sin?”

3 Jesus answered, “His blindness has nothing to do with his sins or his parents' sins. He is blind so that God's power might be seen at work in him. 4 As long as it is day, we must do the work of him who sent me; night is coming when no one can work. 5 While I am in the world, I am the light for the world.”

“Before I formed you in the womb, I knew you and before you were born, I consecrated you; I appointed you a prophet to the nations (Jeremiah 1:5).”

“A good soul fell to my lot, or rather, being good, I entered an undefiled body (Wisdom of Solomon 8:19-20).”

“The soul is imperishable and immortal. Emanating from t he finest ether, these souls become entangled, as it were, in the prison house of the body, to which they are dragged down by a sort of natural spell (Josephus, JW 2.8.11).”

“All souls are prepared for eternity, before the composition of the earth (2 Enoch 23).”

Reactions: Sheila Davis
Upvote 0

Daniel Marsh

Jun 28, 2015
✟199,779.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
The above two posts are the basic Jewish case that our soul had a pre-existence. It is posted in accordance of the title of this thread. I am not trying to argue in favor of LDS teachings. In Christian Theology there are various theories concerning the make up of our being.

Romans 5:12 does fit the possibility that one is born innocent of sin, bout born into an environment of corruption.

I am an eternalist in the free will vs neo-calvin debate.

Upvote 0

Daniel Marsh

Jun 28, 2015
✟199,779.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
An eternalist views texts about warnings of backsliding to be from Mankind's limited perspective. The texts about eternal life are from God's out of time and his nature perspective.

Matthew 24:24
For there shall arise false Christs, and false prophets, and shall shew great signs and wonders; insomuch that, if it were possible, they shall deceive the very elect.

1 John 2:19
They went out from us, but they were not of us; for if they had been of us, they would no doubt have continued with us: but they went out, that they might be made manifest that they were not all of us.

Upvote 0

Daniel Marsh

Jun 28, 2015
✟199,779.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I am playing devil's advocate in this thread. As for Hebrews 9:27 which for some reason comes up and has nothing to do with the topic. We all know that there is a gap between our death and the judgement.

Upvote 0