Country
United States
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
People sure love to blame the 'others' don't they?

I'm gonna go a step further and blame 'us' as nation for our own failures. Not for everything thats wrong, but looking over the points made in this blog post, I can't say I disagree with the author.

Let me know what you all think about it. I say he's hit it right on the head.
10 Things Most Americans Don't Know About America

mandyangel

Aug 27, 2010
✟18,392.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican
I think the problem is that we don't believe in American Greatness anymore... not the President, not our senators, not the people. Its sad really. We are so crazy on being politically correct and no offending anybody that we become sheep and let people walk all over us. We won't call terrorism what it is. We deny the debt is a problem. And our government is now out to "get people" who speak out against it (IRS anyone). Its not that America isn't great, it will always be great, but it is very broken right now and that is very sad in my opinion.

Reactions: I Eat Pie
Upvote 0

GoldenBoy89

We're Still Here
Sep 25, 2012
LA
✟567,331.00
Country
United States
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
I agree! However, I'll go a step further and say America never really was all that "great" to begin with. Sure, in terms of military power and economic power -- we're #1! But that's about as far as I'll go with American exceptionalism. It's just that much harder to hide our problems from the world now with the Internet and all.

Now, that's not saying America is good for nothing, I love our country and we have many things to be proud of, but there are scores of issues we should honestly be ashamed of. Things that other countries seem to manage fairly well compared to us.

The "Pax Americana" ended before it even started. A sad story indeed.

Upvote 0

seashale76

Unapologetic Iconodule
Dec 29, 2004
✟176,647.00
Country
United States
Faith
Melkite Catholic
Marital Status
Married
For those who don't want to scroll through everything:
1. FEW PEOPLE ARE IMPRESSED BY US
2. FEW PEOPLE HATE US
3. WE KNOW NOTHING ABOUT THE REST OF THE WORLD
4. WE ARE POOR AT EXPRESSING GRATITUDE AND AFFECTION
5. THE QUALITY OF LIFE FOR THE AVERAGE AMERICAN IS NOT THAT GREAT
6. THE REST OF THE WORLD IS NOT A SLUM-RIDDEN S@#%HOLE COMPARED TO US
7. WE’RE PARANOID
8. WE’RE STATUS-OBSESSED AND SEEK ATTENTION
9. WE ARE VERY UNHEALTHY
10. WE MISTAKE COMFORT FOR HAPPINESS

What I dislike about things of this nature is that I often disagree with the reasoning behind the opinions, and not necessarily the opinions themselves. Also- it never ceases to amaze me that the writers of these sorts of posts set themselves up as the cultured know better exception- while simultaneously stating that he/she doesn't want to see responses from others stating how they are also exceptions. I see some of these as societal trends- not as something that should be broad-brushed against well over 300 million people.

Some are true for me- and others- I'll just have to say- speak for yourself.
1. I never thought they were.
2. Again- I don't care about most other places one way or the other- so I don't consider they really care about us here in the US.
3. It depends on the person- really. We're kind of geographically isolated- and when you add onto lack of personal funds and enough vacation time- that equals most Americans not really having the opportunity to travel abroad as much as Europeans tend to do.
4. This is very true. However- it doesn't stand to reason that the rest of the world has this one in the bag. Cultures vary widely.
5. True- but there are some things about quality of life in America that ARE better.
6. Also true- but there are some places that do have true slums- and it is sad to see if you've been there.
7. I am. I don't know that I can say this is true of all of my fellow Americans though.
8. A horrible trend. Not everyone is like this though.
9. Another horrible trend. Again- not everyone is like this.
10. I would agree with this.

Reactions: NightHawkeye
Upvote 0

TLK Valentine

I've already read the books you want burned.
Apr 15, 2012
Behind the 8-ball, but ahead of the curve.
✟541,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
I think the problem is that we don't believe in American Greatness anymore... not the President, not our senators, not the people. Its sad really. We are so crazy on being politically correct and no offending anybody that we become sheep and let people walk all over us. We won't call terrorism what it is. We deny the debt is a problem. And our government is now out to "get people" who speak out against it (IRS anyone). Its not that America isn't great, it will always be great, but it is very broken right now and that is very sad in my opinion.

About "American Greatness" -- What exactly are we supposed to be great at?

Upvote 0

mandyangel

Aug 27, 2010
✟18,392.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican
About "American Greatness" -- What exactly are we supposed to be great at?

Freedom, capitalism, our values, our people, our military, our hereos, our spirit, our Christian foundation... I believe that makes us great!

Upvote 0

TLK Valentine

Apr 15, 2012
✟541,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Freedom, capitalism, our values, our people, our military, our hereos, our spirit, our Christian foundation... I believe that makes us great!

So, these are the things we're great at...

Freedom: Can we be a little more specific? In terms of individual liberties, I would think The Netherlands would be more in line with that...

Capitalism? We're pretty good at that -- so good our companies are outsourcing to nations with less regulation in order to cut expenses.

It's called the "race to the bottom," and it's a race we're better off losing.

Our military? No argument there -- we spend the most, and we get the best.

Heroes? Again, can you be more specific? Everyone's got heroes.

Our spirit? That's a little vague.

Our Christian foundation? Now that's funny. Find me a country in Western civilization that doesn't have a "Christian foundation."

In any event, an agnostic such as myself isn't going to be too impressed.

But let me restate the question: What exactly are we great at?

Upvote 0

Jeffwhosoever

Faithful Servant & Seminary Student
Christian Forums Staff
Chaplain
Angels Team
Site Supporter
Sep 21, 2009
Southern US
✟422,514.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
I think this article sums up at least one facet of US greatness:

"If and when American power declines, the institutions and norms that American power has supported will decline, too. Or more likely, if history is a guide, they may collapse altogether as we make a transition to another kind of world order, or to disorder. We may discover then that the U.S. was essential to keeping the present world order together and that the alternative to American power was not peace and harmony but chaos and catastrophe—which is what the world looked like right before the American order came into being."

Robert Kagan on Why the World Needs America - WSJ.com

Upvote 0

TLK Valentine

Apr 15, 2012
✟541,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single

"If and when American power declines, the institutions and norms that American power has supported will decline, too. Or more likely, if history is a guide, they may collapse altogether as we make a transition to another kind of world order, or to disorder. We may discover then that the U.S. was essential to keeping the present world order together and that the alternative to American power was not peace and harmony but chaos and catastrophe—which is what the world looked like right before the American order came into being."

And there is a lot of truth to that -- American foreign policy has (give or take a few colossal blunders) kept the rest of the world relatively stable.

We could argue how much of that is due to our bloated military -- the last thing a "rogue nation" wants is to be placed in our "Axis of Evil" and be next in line for "liberation."

Economically, too -- we are great consumers; our entire culture is based on it, one might say. What will the producers of the world do when we can no longer afford to consume? Every seller needs a buyer.

Upvote 0

Jeffwhosoever

Faithful Servant & Seminary Student
Christian Forums Staff
Chaplain
Angels Team
Site Supporter
Sep 21, 2009
Southern US
✟422,514.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
And there is a lot of truth to that -- American foreign policy has (give or take a few colossal blunders) kept the rest of the world relatively stable.

We could argue how much of that is due to our bloated military -- the last thing a "rogue nation" wants is to be placed in our "Axis of Evil" and be next in line for "liberation."

Economically, too -- we are great consumers; our entire culture is based on it, one might say. What will the producers of the world do when we can no longer afford to consume? Every seller needs a buyer.

I agree with you.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

TLK Valentine

Apr 15, 2012
✟541,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
I agree with you.

Actually, it's the economic part that saddens me -- when did America go from a country of great producers to a country of great consumers?

Upvote 0

Rion

Annuit Cœptis
Site Supporter
Oct 26, 2006
Nebraska
✟419,198.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Upvote 0

Rion

Annuit Cœptis
Site Supporter
Oct 26, 2006
Nebraska
✟419,198.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Are we still on this liberals love big government crap?

What he said is true. When we started expecting the government to solve our problems, rather than be the solutions for each other, we became de-sensitized, as a public, to a lot of things.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

GoldenBoy89

We're Still Here
Sep 25, 2012
LA
✟567,331.00
Country
United States
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
For those who don't want to scroll through everything:
1. FEW PEOPLE ARE IMPRESSED BY US
2. FEW PEOPLE HATE US
3. WE KNOW NOTHING ABOUT THE REST OF THE WORLD
4. WE ARE POOR AT EXPRESSING GRATITUDE AND AFFECTION
5. THE QUALITY OF LIFE FOR THE AVERAGE AMERICAN IS NOT THAT GREAT
6. THE REST OF THE WORLD IS NOT A SLUM-RIDDEN S@#%HOLE COMPARED TO US
7. WE’RE PARANOID
8. WE’RE STATUS-OBSESSED AND SEEK ATTENTION
9. WE ARE VERY UNHEALTHY
10. WE MISTAKE COMFORT FOR HAPPINESS
What I dislike about things of this nature is that I often disagree with the reasoning behind the opinions, and not necessarily the opinions themselves. Also- it never ceases to amaze me that the writers of these sorts of posts set themselves up as the cultured know better exception- while simultaneously stating that he/she doesn't want to see responses from others stating how they are also exceptions. I see some of these as societal trends- not as something that should be broad-brushed against well over 300 million people.
I agree with you for the most part, but this isn't meant to be a Webster's definition of what an American is. But if any foreigner was to take a glance in our direction, this is pretty much what he'd see. (Which I don't completely agree with myself but that's another story.)

Remember, the author is an American whose spent a lot of time in many foreign countries.

Some are true for me- and others- I'll just have to say- speak for yourself.
1. I never thought they were.
Nor have I. But you can't ignore the 'arrogant American' stereotype.
2. Again- I don't care about most other places one way or the other- so I don't consider they really care about us here in the US.
Agreed.
3. It depends on the person- really. We're kind of geographically isolated- and when you add onto lack of personal funds and enough vacation time- that equals most Americans not really having the opportunity to travel abroad as much as Europeans tend to do.
Also true. But also because we generally travel within the US if and when we're fortunate enough to afford a vacation. Aside from that, it reflects on our abysmal public education, in my opinion.
4. This is very true. However- it doesn't stand to reason that the rest of the world has this one in the bag. Cultures vary widely.
I agree. But I think it's compounded here because everything is a competition in America. Everything is a contest, everything is made out to be a prize that must be won. The author makes a pretty good point about how a simple, "how are you doing?" is devoid of meaning because its not about knowing how the person is doing, it's about not looking bad in public or in company. At least for some it is.
5. True- but there are some things about quality of life in America that ARE better.
why stop there? Why not continue it improve our nation?
6. Also true- but there are some places that do have true slums- and it is sad to see if you've been there.
I think if you look hard enough, you'll see we have just as much poverty in America as any other first world country if not more.
7. I am. I don't know that I can say this is true of all of my fellow Americans though.
I'm not. And I don't need a firearm for security either;)
8. A horrible trend. Not everyone is like this though.
I tend to tie that one in with the, "bad at affection" one, if there's any affection, it's 'forced' or 'fake' or just not well-articulated. My mom points this out to me..."Americans don't know how to express themselves." At least, from a Hispanic POV:D
9. Another horrible trend. Again- not everyone is like this.
True. Now if we can just get people to look at this, "health craze" as more than just a way to make money, we can actually try to be healthier.

10. I would agree with this.
Same here. We're not too different, you and I.;)

I also agree America is great but these are all rather vague ideas that can easily be applied to any country really. In China, the people have about an 80% approval rating of their government. Of course, that figure was released by the Chinese government.

just like in a Hollywood movie, America comes to save the world from chaos and catastrophe. Why are we so afraid of a world where we're not the best at everything. I say we should do one or the other, take over the world, or be our own country. We can't have both.

Of course, I vote take over the world:cool:

Upvote 0

GoldenBoy89

We're Still Here
Sep 25, 2012
LA
✟567,331.00
Country
United States
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Our problem is that we've turned our back on God and on ourselves. We started going downhill when we put more faith in big government and less faith in the hard-working citizens of America.

1776?:confused:

Upvote 0

GoldenBoy89

We're Still Here
Sep 25, 2012
LA
✟567,331.00
Country
United States
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
What he said is true. When we started expecting the government to solve our problems, rather than be the solutions for each other, we became de-sensitized, as a public, to a lot of things.

Well, thankfully you didn't say it was the part where we turned our backs on God that got us into this mess. Cause that certainly hasn't had an ill effect on any of the other countries that are far less religious than the US.

Upvote 0

seashale76

Unapologetic Iconodule
Dec 29, 2004
✟176,647.00
Country
United States
Faith
Melkite Catholic
Marital Status
Married

I'm gonna go a step further and blame 'us' as nation for our own failures. Not for everything thats wrong, but looking over the points made in this blog post, I can't say I disagree with the author.

I think that most of the problem here is that we have inherited a failed social experiment. It's hard to want to accept blame for that when you aren't personally the cause of it (and don't consider yourself playing into that)- and it is easier for most to want to deny it and reminisce back to the idealized good ole days than deal with the frustration and impotence of not knowing how to fix a system that doesn't work so well in the here and now- while American society seems to be going to hell in a hand basket (if you believe even half of what you're told by all news organizations).

I see that somewhere along the way- we've fallen into a tyranny by those who control the purse strings- and that seed has been cultivated down the masses to be a cultural sickness. I don't care what your views on religion are- you can't deny what is says in I Timothy 6:10 that the love of money is the root of all evil. In a way- it has been with this nation from the first colonists on. Jamestown was started by a company wanting to turn a profit.

However- as to specifics of the cultures which had a hand in the forming of the US there are quite a few. I highly recommend the following book, which I think really hits the nail on the head on that score: Albion's Seed: Four British Folkways in America (America: a Cultural History): David Hackett Fischer: 9780195069051: Amazon.com: Books

Upvote 0
Mar 3, 2013
✟15,776.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private

America's problem is killing its poor and not giving them enough benefits. It gives to the rich and takes from the poor, letting them die

Upvote 0