✟28,184.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Amelia Earhart
“As soon as we left ground, I knew I myself had to fly.”
—Amelia Earhart on her first flight
Amelia Earhart was barely five years old when Orville and Wilbur Wright made their famous first flight at Kitty Hawk, North Carolina. She may not have known it at the time, but it was a turning point in her life. As a bright student, Amelia dreamed big dreams. She read the newspaper and cut out clippings of famous first events. She was particularly impressed when a woman achieved a great feat or landed a notable job. However, Amelia had trouble finding a field in which she could make her own mark on history. Then, one day in 1920, her father took her to an air show.
Inspired by what she had seen, Amelia took her first plane ride a few days after the show. She was exhilarated! She found a woman pilot and began taking lessons—which cost $1 a minute—and in time became an accomplished pilot herself. Amelia set a women’s altitude record while still a student pilot, climbing to 14,000 feet above sea level without bottled oxygen. In 1928, accompanied by two male aviators, she became the first woman to cross the Atlantic by plane, and in 1932, Amelia became the first woman to fly solo across the Atlantic. Taking off from Canada, Amelia began experiencing trouble just four hours into that journey. She encountered a severe storm and lost her fuel gauge and two navigational instruments, but doggedly continued flying east until she spotted Ireland. Amelia Earhart continued to set aviation records, but she was lost over the Pacific in 1937 while on her greatest adventure, an attempt to circumnavigate the globe.
Consider This: If you dare to be great, set high goals for yourself. Go where no one has dared go before, and enjoy the ride while it lasts.
Submitted by Richard