The far north icebox
✟190,331.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
In this day and age of non-natural medicine and synthetic medication, many people don't know the benefits of something as natural as honey. If you haven't heard of manuka honey, heres an interesting read :17 Life Changing Reasons You Need A Jar Of Manuka Honey
Also the importance of the honeybee to our food supply cannot be overlooked. The loss of honeybees in America is very alarming, without them, we are in BIG trouble :
https://beeinformed.org/2016/05/10/nations-beekeepers-lost-44-percent-of-bees-in-2015-16/

Upvote 0

mea kulpa

Benedictine Traditional Catholic
Feb 9, 2016
united kingdom
✟39,142.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I was lead to believe u.s honey isnt actual honey just high fructose corn syrup flavoured to taste like honey and (outrageous) sold as honey. I am also led to believe the average american would be horrified or believe their honey was off if it looked anything like this

spoon-of-crystallized-honey.jpg

Upvote 0

Gnarwhal

☩ Broman Catholic ☩
Oct 31, 2008
N/A
✟434,290.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
I was lead to believe u.s honey isnt actual honey just high fructose corn syrup flavoured to taste like honey and (outrageous) sold as honey. I am also led to believe the average american would be horrified or believe their honey was off if it looked anything like this

spoon-of-crystallized-honey.jpg

That looks like applesauce...

Upvote 0

bill5

Jul 30, 2011
✟63,199.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
In this day and age of non-natural medicine and synthetic medication, many people don't know the benefits of something as natural as honey.
Honey actually has little nutritional benefit, but beats table sugar if you need a sweetener.

High fructose corn syrup sold as honey... hence its abundance hence its cheapness... its not actual honey no bees were "used" in the manufacturing process
:rolleyes: I don't know where you're getting these ridiculous fables, but that's all they are.

Please folks let's not go off on some silly "evil American corporations feeding us poison" alt-med tangent...it was just an interesting tidbit of trivia IMO.

Upvote 0

Humble me Lord

Site Supporter
Apr 17, 2017
The far north icebox
✟190,331.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
The US does have a system in place so the consumer knows if its actually pure honey. Its called true source honey, with a symbol of a honeybee that says true source,
True Source Honey - Ethically Sourced. Perfectly Delicious.
It is more expensive, but like everything else, you get what you pay for.
Or like @Michie said, buy it directly from the beekeeper.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

mea kulpa

Benedictine Traditional Catholic
Feb 9, 2016
united kingdom
✟39,142.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Honey actually has little nutritional benefit, but beats table sugar if you need a sweetener.

:rolleyes: I don't know where you're getting these ridiculous fables, but that's all they are.

Please folks let's not go off on some silly "evil American corporations feeding us poison" alt-med tangent...it was just an interesting tidbit of trivia IMO.

"That is the question raised in an eye-opening new study published by Food Safety News. The group’s food scientists say that over three quarters of the honey sold in American supermarkets and drug stores may not be what the bees created"

These highly nutritious grains (pollen) are frequently filtered out of the final product leaving no way to determine whether it is really honey, or a highly processed syrup (hfcs) which bears that name(honey).

U.S. Food and Drug Administration rules state that any product that contains no pollen cannot be called honey.
But the understaffed FDA isn’t checking.

Bryant’s results were astonishing: virtually all drug store honey and small individually packaged honey served up in fast food outlets does not contain pollen, and 76 percent of the amber stuff sold in America’s leading supermarket chains is likewise devoid of this telltale evidence of its origins, and therefore does not qualify as honey

"the unregulated liquid is often heavily adulterated with high fructose corn syrup and other sweeteners, as well as being tainted with chloramphenicol, heavy-metal toxins and a witches brew of agro-chemicals, including some illegal animal antibiotics, which are fatal to a small percentage of the population."

"In an effort unveiled at the 2011 North American Beekeeping Conference in Galveston in January, a group called True Source Honey announced a voluntary certification program for producers and distributors who are able to prove that their honey comes from legal and legitimate sources. They are also lobbying the FDA to take more effective measures in strictly defining honey and regulating its sale.

Until that happens, better to stick with certified organic and raw honey, which is likely to be closer to what the bees have so generously provided us."

Most Store Bought Honey Isn't Honey According to the FDA | HuffPost

Upvote 0

Gnarwhal

☩ Broman Catholic ☩
Oct 31, 2008
N/A
✟434,290.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status