New York City
✟15,202.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Republican
Well, to begin, I am not attending a Catholic church at this point. I do not go to any church, actually.

I was raised Catholic, 12-years of Catholic education, etc.

The last church I attended was Catholic, approximately one year ago.

In many ways I would consider myself Catholic. :clap:

Am I liberal? Honestly, I abhor the word "liberal".

Politically, I am a Conservative: I believe in pro-gun laws, I support our soldiers and Allies and our wars. But, interestingly enough, I am Pro-Choice (Abortion) and also support the right to gay marriage. Am I a Liberal Catholic?

:confused: Confused :confused:

-Matthew-

KevinKuck

Catholic Left
Nov 14, 2011
✟15,211.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Well, to begin, I am not attending a Catholic church at this point. I do not go to any church, actually.

I was raised Catholic, 12-years of Catholic education, etc.

The last church I attended was Catholic, approximately one year ago.

In many ways I would consider myself Catholic. :clap:

Am I liberal? Honestly, I abhor the word "liberal".

Politically, I am a Conservative: I believe in pro-gun laws, I support our soldiers and Allies and our wars. But, interestingly enough, I am Pro-Choice (Abortion) and also support the right to gay marriage. Am I a Liberal Catholic?

:confused: Confused :confused:

-Matthew-

The phrase "liberal Catholic" can mean many different things to people. The notion of a liberal Catholic emerged in many ways after the French Revolution and was used to designate Catholics who believed in championing the individual liberties of citizens with notions of freedom of education, freedom of association, and even more radical notions such as separation of church and state. Following this line of thought into modern definitions, one could simply say that a liberal Catholic is one who believes in democracy in the political sphere. Conservatives and liberals in the United States can both claim this legacy (and for that matter both the Democratic and Republican parties can claim the legacy of liberalism as a political philosophy).

That being said, you will find that the term liberal Catholic can also designate those who favor more progressive stances on social issues, such as abortion or gay marriage equality. I guess my point is that you will encounter great diversity of opinion on this site, and I hope that you find this site to be a rewarding experience (with plenty of opportunities for debate as well).

Upvote 0

KevinKuck

Catholic Left
Nov 14, 2011
✟15,211.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Prayer for a Bishop: God bless the bishop and keep him far away from us.

But all jesting aside, we are without a bishop here in Denver and have been for almost 6 months now. I'm hoping our next bishop is more progressive than Charles Chaput (although I like a couple of his books, especially Render Unto Caesar).

Upvote 0

ranpleasant

Catholic
Jun 16, 2011
Dallas
✟15,623.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Am I liberal?
Matthew

You don't sound liberal. You sound like a Catholic who has not been going to church. :doh:

Get back in church and don't focusing on "issues". The only issue is your soul. Start reading more about the Catholic faith, Catholic theology, and Catholic history. The Catholic faith is so much more satisfying when you understand how all the parts of the faith fit into each other.

Ran

Upvote 0

Forge3

Forge
Aug 26, 2009
Toronto
✟13,441.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Matthew

You don't sound liberal. You sound like a Catholic who has not been going to church. :doh:

Get back in church and don't focusing on "issues". The only issue is your soul. Start reading more about the Catholic faith, Catholic theology, and Catholic history. The Catholic faith is so much more satisfying when you understand how all the parts of the faith fit into each other.

Ran

Who are you to speak on such matters. It is not fitting. God is love. He is the alpha and the omega.

Upvote 0

NeverEnder

Jun 15, 2010
New York City
✟15,202.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Republican
Matthew

Ran

Yes, and of course not going to Church is a most vile sin, eh? :hypno: Unbelievable.

No, I do not currently go to Church, and, so?

You actually believe this is a sin? :confused:

I would not associate with Catholics such as yourself. You seem to put acts before faith (Of course).

-Matthew-

Upvote 0

Dylan Michael

Senior Veteran
Jul 15, 2010
Central Florida
✟22,692.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Yes, and of course not going to Church is a most vile sin, eh? :hypno: Unbelievable.

I would not associate with Catholics such as yourself. You seem to put acts before faith (Of course).

-Matthew-

It's not just me who believes that. The Church does too.
God made and created you. You cannot give up an hour per week to be at his temple?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
Mar 20, 2012
Way out in the Arizona desert
✟15,345.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married

Ordinarily, out of respect, I wouldn't respond to something like this but this is a Catholic forum so I will.

What is the point of God giving his only son to suffering and death to prove to the knuckle-headed His existence? "Hi! I'm still here!" Faith alone is pointless. We have a job to do, that's why Jesus came and told us.

Faith without acts is like getting someone's attention that their car is going off a cliff, and having them adore you for having warned them as they sail off the cliff.

Upvote 0

Elvisman

Apr 3, 2012
✟1,084.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married

-Matthew-

After reading a few of your posts - one thing is clear:
You are a fallen-away Catholic who is in dire need of returning home.

Clearly, you are disobedient to the Body of Christ and have forsaken the very words of Scripture.

To truly understand the Church, you must first understand that Jesus gave his Church complete and TOTAL authority on earth (Matt. 16:18-19, Matt. 18:15-18, Luke 10:16, John 20:21-23).

He told His Church that the Holy Spirit would guide her to ALL truth (John 16:12-15).

In the New Testament, the Church is called the Pillar and Foundation of Truth (1 Tim. 3:15). Jesus is Truth itself (John 14:6).
The Church is called the FULLNESS of Christ (Eph. 1:22-23).
In Acts 9:4-5 - Jesus equates his very SELF with His Church.

We are told in Heb. 10:25 that we are NOT to forsake the gathering of ourselves - which you have done. The 3rd Commandment clearly tells us to keep the Sabbath holy.

In accordance with the Third Commandment, the Catechism of the Catholic Church (2168-2195) deems it our obligation to attend mass on Sunday – unless there is a serious excuse for missing (for example, illness, the care of child, etc). Deliberate failure to fulfill this obligation is to commit a grave sin.
When you disobey the Church - you are disobeying Jesus and the Father (Luke 10:16).

For the Jews in the Old Testament, the Sabbath was the seventh day on which the Lord rested after the Creation of the Heavens and the Earth. In the New Testament, we find that the Apostles and the early Christians worshipped and broke bread (celebrated the Mass) on the first day of the week, Sunday (Acts 20:7, 1 Cor. 16:2, Rev. 1:10).
Sunday became our day for observing the Third Commandment because it symbolizes the new creation that was ushered in by Christ's Resurrection. For Christians it is the first of all days, the first of all feasts, the Lord's Day.

This is not a question of your being "Liberal". It is a question of whether you believe the Word of God as delivered through His Church in the Scriptures whether you think it's all hogwash.

By your comments and attitude, the latter seems to be true.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.