Tampa, Florida
Visit site
✟15,355.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
How do you shed an "alter-ego"?

Basically, a couple months back, I made an account on an instant messenger program, and created an entire false identity for engaging in sin...lied about my name, location, everything...I basically became this "alter-ego" while I was on the instant messenger program, with a completely different personality than who I am. I know Satan aided in this, and though I got away from the false account since then, Satan's trying to convince me that this sinner is who I really want to be.

This isn't a multiple personality thing, haha, so don't misunderstand what I'm saying.

I want to get rid of the problems I caused within my own heart when I created that false profile...I just don't know where to begin with that.

Does anybody have any advice on getting rid of an "alter-ego" like this (don't know if I'm using the right term there, but it seemed to fit). Or maybe some scripture verses relating to something similar?

hsilgne

Frustrated in Hooterville.
Feb 25, 2005
Canada
✟39,329.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Can you talk to your pastor? Do you have a pastor?

There are many un-answerwed questions for me(if you don't mind me saying). Has anyone been affected from this? Who have you interacted with? Do they know your "character" is fictional?

For starters.

I think the quickest way to "get rid" of this is to confess to God and to whomever you have affected by doing this.

Then seek counseling.(Personally I would talk to my priest to begin with)

Upvote 0

NapoliaDinosaur

Feb 10, 2007
Tampa, Florida
Visit site
✟15,355.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Can you talk to your pastor? Do you have a pastor?

There are many un-answerwed questions for me(if you don't mind me saying). Has anyone been affected from this? Who have you interacted with? Do they know your "character" is fictional?

For starters.

I think the quickest way to "get rid" of this is to confess to God and to whomever you have affected by doing this.

Then seek counseling.(Personally I would talk to my priest to begin with)

Yes, I have a pastor...but I don't think it would be a good time to talk to him. My church is undergoing a trying time right now, so he's got a lot on his plate already.

I never used the alternate name to talk to anyone who I actually know...just random people on the internet. But those people don't know that I wasn't who I said I was.

I've confessed it to God already...but I feel like the false identity is still with me, like a shadow almost.

Upvote 0

Elijah2

No weapons formed against me will prosper.
Aug 15, 2006
Australia
✟26,096.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Yes, I have a pastor...but I don't think it would be a good time to talk to him. My church is undergoing a trying time right now, so he's got a lot on his plate already.

I never used the alternate name to talk to anyone who I actually know...just random people on the internet. But those people don't know that I wasn't who I said I was.

I've confessed it to God already...but I feel like the false identity is still with me, like a shadow almost.

Okay, so what did you confess and repent of?

Did you confess and repent of being a liar?

Did you confess and repent in your mind?

Or did you confess and repent your sin verbally, from your heart to our Lord Jesus Christ.

If you still feel the shadow over you, then there must be more to what you had said, and ALL needs to be confessed and repented, bit by bit, not just some.

He will forgive you, but you have to forgive yourself as well.

FULL confession and repentance is the answer to feeling right, and that shadow will leave your presence.

As His Word says, "Submit to our Lord Jesus Christ and the enemy will flee!"

Be blessed in Jesus' Name.

Upvote 0

tapero

Legend
Site Supporter
Apr 14, 2004
Visit site
✟88,544.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
all good advice below and just want to add it is your responsibility to flee from temptation.

so regardless of where or who you sense is encouraging you to continue, we run from sinning.

we are always the one in control of our own actions.

Take God at his word, that you are forgiven, and flee.

if you feel you can't flee (which you can as it's a choice, do i sin or not sin), throw away your computer and never be around one again.

I wouldn't put it so strongly if it's not something I've had to do myself. Remember Joseph fleeing as well.

blessings,
tapero

Upvote 0
A

allthatisgone

ah. someone or ppl did this to me once. stop doin it and never do it again. and esp. dont pretend to be someone else that actually exists. u dont know just WHAT it can do to someone. for u it might just be simple harmless fun, but for someone else, it might end up entering their nightmares. u might even break their dream. like they did mine.

and remember who the father of lies is.

Upvote 0