Country
Canada
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
Can someone explain the duties of the Altar Guild?

Some of us in the congregation have been pushing for more frequently communion but the Altar Guild doesn't want to do the setup. I understand. Since covid they have been using mini cups for the Wine/Blood of Christ and it takes a bit of time to setup and clean up. Not sure why we are still falling for the covid nonsense and ignoring the biblical and traditional common cup but I digress. I volunteered to take care of the Altar so we could add a second Lord's Supper a month but I don't really know what I volunteered for.

Yours in the Lord,

jm

Shane R

Priest
Site Supporter
Jan 18, 2012
Southeast Ohio
✟568,063.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Widowed
Mine switches the paraments to the proper color. They lay out the linen on the altar and fill and put out all of the vessels I will use for the Communion. Sometimes, but not always, they even open the Altar Service Book to the page I start from. After the service they clean up after me and put everything but the book away.

Upvote 0

JM

Augsburg Catholic
Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2004
Canada
✟748,657.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
Mine switches the paraments to the proper color. They lay out the linen on the altar and fill and put out all of the vessels I will use for the Communion. Sometimes, but not always, they even open the Altar Service Book to the page I start from. After the service they clean up after me and put everything but the book away.
I can do that.

Upvote 0

MarkRohfrietsch

Unapologetic Apologist
Site Supporter
Dec 8, 2007
✟829,728.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
During Covid, all of our altar guild went into self imposed isolation. Those who were getting tired used this as an opertunity to resign once we were allowed to have attendees at our services; others were still afraid of covid (thanks to the terror tactics of the Government). Since we Elders and Pastor wished to resume services as soon as we were allowed, I assumed to responsibilities of the guild. As members started to come back, I took on the responsibilities of looking after things for most of the services, and started scheduling our guild members and the elders that serve as Deacons. I inadvertantly ended up as Sacristan. The ratio of those taking the common cup, due to solid catechesis on Pastor's part is higher now than it was precovid. It seems easy, but lots of little detalis and if you find yourself in the same position as I do; working full time, serving as deacon, and doing all the duties of the Guild as I did through Covid, it can be a lot to juggle.

Upvote 0

JM

Augsburg Catholic
Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2004
Canada
✟748,657.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
During Covid, all of our altar guild went into self imposed isolation. Those who were getting tired used this as an opertunity to resign once we were allowed to have attendees at our services; others were still afraid of covid (thanks to the terror tactics of the Government). Since we Elders and Pastor wished to resume services as soon as we were allowed, I assumed to responsibilities of the guild. As members started to come back, I took on the responsibilities of looking after things for most of the services, and started scheduling our guild members and the elders that serve as Deacons. I inadvertantly ended up as Sacristan. The ratio of those taking the common cup, due to solid catechesis on Pastor's part is higher now than it was precovid. It seems easy, but lots of little detalis and if you find yourself in the same position as I do; working full time, serving as deacon, and doing all the duties of the Guild as I did through Covid, it can be a lot to juggle.
It looks like I will be taking care of the altar everyone other Communion service in the near future. I don't mind doing it all on Sunday before the service but like you I work fulltime and teach martial arts part-time so I'm busy.

Upvote 0

MarkRohfrietsch

Unapologetic Apologist
Site Supporter
Dec 8, 2007
✟829,728.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
It looks like I will be taking care of the altar everyone other Communion service in the near future. I don't mind doing it all on Sunday before the service but like you I work fulltime and teach martial arts part-time so I'm busy.
There is the care of the linens... and the ironing... Every single guild member has made it abundantly clear that they will NOT iron anything. My wife washes the purificators and corporals; I iron them and a couple of 14' long fair linens too; also Albs, Surplices and Cottas too.

Like Hotel California... Once you check-in; you never check out. LOL

• Prayers
Reactions: The Liturgist
Upvote 0

JM

Augsburg Catholic
Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2004
Canada
✟748,657.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
There is the care of the linens... and the ironing... Every single guild member has made it abundantly clear that they will NOT iron anything. My wife washes the purificators and corporals; I iron them and a couple of 14' long fair linens too; also Albs, Surplices and Cottas too.

Like Hotel California... Once you check-in; you never check out. LOL
Would a steamer work?

Upvote 0

chevyontheriver

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,239,202.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
Can someone explain the duties of the Altar Guild?

Some of us in the congregation have been pushing for more frequently communion but the Altar Guild doesn't want to do the setup. I understand. Since covid they have been using mini cups for the Wine/Blood of Christ and it takes a bit of time to setup and clean up. Not sure why we are still falling for the covid nonsense and ignoring the biblical and traditional common cup but I digress. I volunteered to take care of the Altar so we could add a second Lord's Supper a month but I don't really know what I volunteered for.

Yours in the Lord,

jm
My Catholic parish restored a common cup a bit less than a year ago and we don’t see people dying as a result. Covid isn’t what it used to be I guess. We still have a few people in masks, and the common cup is optional. I don’t know who washes the linens but we manage daily mass at 7 am and noon in addition to every weekend so there is a lot of washing.

Upvote 0

Shane R

Priest
Site Supporter
Jan 18, 2012
Southeast Ohio
✟568,063.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Widowed
My wife washes the purificators and corporals;
Apparently my parish has been sending them out to be laundered, but they don't communicate well on who should be picking that up. Also, until about 2 weeks ago, most of the altar guild did not know the difference between a purificator and a lavabo towel. Sometimes I would get 2 lavabo towels and no purificator. Sometimes 1 lavabo towel and 1 purificator. Sometimes 2 lavabo towels and 1 purificator. Since there is no lavabo bowl and no acolyte to perform the service of pouring the water over my hands, I usually just set the lavabo towel to the side far off of the corporal and use it to wipe my brow, since the A/C is on its last legs and they refuse to turn it on more than an hour before the early service anyway.

Would a steamer work?
Yes. I have known a few old-timers who like to get sharp creases in the linens but it's unnecessary.

Upvote 0

MarkRohfrietsch

Unapologetic Apologist
Site Supporter
Dec 8, 2007
✟829,728.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Apparently my parish has been sending them out to be laundered, but they don't communicate well on who should be picking that up. Also, until about 2 weeks ago, most of the altar guild did not know the difference between a purificator and a lavabo towel. Sometimes I would get 2 lavabo towels and no purificator. Sometimes 1 lavabo towel and 1 purificator. Sometimes 2 lavabo towels and 1 purificator. Since there is no lavabo bowl and no acolyte to perform the service of pouring the water over my hands, I usually just set the lavabo towel to the side far off of the corporal and use it to wipe my brow, since the A/C is on its last legs and they refuse to turn it on more than an hour before the early service anyway.

Yes. I have known a few old-timers who like to get sharp creases in the linens but it's unnecessary.
Might I suggest the "appointment" of a Sacristan to 1.: Work with you to develop a written "work instruction" (I did this in Power Point format, in colour for setting up the Altar, but one could do this for everything.

Regarding Acolytes; we rarely have one, so the Elder/Deacons fulfills these additional duties.

Regarding the ironing; they fit much nicer in the Burse when ironed flat. :)

Last edited:
Reactions: JM
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Shane R

Priest
Site Supporter
Jan 18, 2012
Southeast Ohio
✟568,063.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Widowed
in the Burse
In this region of Ohio the churches did not often have the Burse. Rather, everything on the Corporal is draped with a fair linen veil. This is an authorized provision within the 1958 Service Book and Hymnal of the ALC. I have seen parishes that do not even have a chalice. All of the wine is placed in individual cups. They were traditionally glass but you probably guess most parishes have stashed those somewhere in the attic at this stage.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

MarkRohfrietsch

Unapologetic Apologist
Site Supporter
Dec 8, 2007
✟829,728.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Below are some excerpts from my manual. Any questions, fire away!!

Mark

1702059304616.png
1702059364303.png

1702059458907.png
1702059542680.png
1702059596639.png

Upvote 0

Shane R

Priest
Site Supporter
Jan 18, 2012
Southeast Ohio
✟568,063.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Widowed
20231210_081845.jpg
St. Matthew's Lutheran Church. This is what the congregation sees.

20231210_081922.jpg
I've got a ciborium of hosts, a tray of cups of wine (the bottom one is usually empty), and a stack consisting of chalice, linen, pall, and paten. There's usually a cruet of water as well. They had forgotten that until I checked. I had 2 lavabo towels for the early service but a true purificator appeared for the late service. I am generally the only one who drinks from the chalice.

20231210_081936.jpg
And a wider view of the altar. I've got 2 candlesticks, which they told me were going to be changed out for candelabras for Advent (I prefer the candlesticks). There's the Altar Service Book and the offering plates well off to the side. And there's a binder with the services printed out as they are in the bulletins (they are not exactly the same). I wish the binder would disappear but it gives the Secretary something to do.

Upvote 0

MarkRohfrietsch

Unapologetic Apologist
Site Supporter
Dec 8, 2007
✟829,728.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
View attachment 340310
St. Matthew's Lutheran Church. This is what the congregation sees.

View attachment 340311
I've got a ciborium of hosts, a tray of cups of wine (the bottom one is usually empty), and a stack consisting of chalice, linen, pall, and paten. There's usually a cruet of water as well. They had forgotten that until I checked. I had 2 lavabo towels for the early service but a true purificator appeared for the late service. I am generally the only one who drinks from the chalice.

View attachment 340312
And a wider view of the altar. I've got 2 candlesticks, which they told me were going to be changed out for candelabras for Advent (I prefer the candlesticks). There's the Altar Service Book and the offering plates well off to the side. And there's a binder with the services printed out as they are in the bulletins (they are not exactly the same). I wish the binder would disappear but it gives the Secretary something to do.
Very nice!

Upvote 0

MarkRohfrietsch

Unapologetic Apologist
Site Supporter
Dec 8, 2007
✟829,728.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
I start training January 7th.
God bless you for your service!!!

I've been doing up the Guild and Deacon's schedules this week; no problems filling up this new year's schedule.
I'm working on a couple of our kids to be Acolytes; time will tell, they are a bit shy. LOL

Upvote 0