• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.

Alpha / RCIA

Discussion in 'One Bread, One Body - Catholic' started by JM, Sep 12, 2019 at 10:20 AM.

1. JM

JM pre·des·ti·nar·i·an Supporter

+2,097
    Canada
    Protestant
    Married
    CA-Others
    I signed up for RCIA...it includes the Alpha Course. :scratch:

Why would the Catholic Church want someone to learn about Christianity from a Protestant program?

Yours in the Lord,

jm

We teamed up with Faith Counseling. Can they help you today?
  2. Michie

Michie Human rights begin in the womb. Supporter

+23,239
    United States
    Catholic
    Married
    US-Others
  3. Gracia Singh

Gracia Singh Newbie Supporter

+6,956
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    Praised be Jesus and Mary, JM! I don't know much about the Alpha course. I hope your RCIA goes well!

There's a channel here which is helping me a lot; perhaps it will help you, too. These guys are really great! Very wise and practical.

franciscanfriars

4. JM

+2,097
    Canada
    Protestant
    Married
    CA-Others
    I don't want anyone to get too excited. I'm there to learn.

5. Gracia Singh

Gracia Singh Newbie Supporter

+6,956
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    Ah, ok, friend. I hope it goes well for you.

6. LordDuncanBurneWilke

LordDuncanBurneWilke Newbie

+71
    Christian Seeker
    Married
    Sorry to hear about the Alpha course. :(

7. JIMINZ

JIMINZ Well-Known Member

+1,643
    United States
    Charismatic
    Married
    That is a question, isn't it?
    Do you have a good answer for it?

8. JM

+2,097
    Canada
    Protestant
    Married
    CA-Others
    I believe they add Catholic flav during the discussion period but I was told to lead the discussion at my table so...not sure.

My soteriology is Calvinistic.

This should be interesting.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2019 at 8:31 AM
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  9. Michie

Michie Human rights begin in the womb. Supporter

+23,239
    United States
    Catholic
    Married
    US-Others
    Learn?
    RCIA

Please everyone. Do NOT get your hopes up as JM said. :rolleyes:

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  10. Fenwick

Fenwick LET'S GO IRISH

+6,617
    United States
    Catholic
    Single
    US-Republican
    I don't know but I'm vehemently against this. I checked out Alpha way back when I was an evangelical (circa 2006) because I wanted to see if it was something I'd ever recommend to someone who was exploring Christianity. Even then I didn't think it was something I'd advise a newcomer to see.

It's theologically specious and has no place in the Catholic Church. If the Church wants to create something comparable in it's delivery but filled with Catholic content, I'd be all for it. I'd even volunteer to help create it, but the Alpha course will do nothing but undermine the Church.

My priest mentioned in announcements a few weeks ago that the parish was considering the Alpha course, I have a long e-mail I wrote to him expressing my opposition to that but it's saved in my drafts folder because I'm not sure how comfortable I am sending it to him. A) I've only been a convert for two years, and B) I get a weird vibe from this priest, like I'm in disfavor with him despite not knowing him.

• List
  11. Rhamiel

Rhamiel Member of the Round Table

+8,738
    Catholic
    Single
    Lots of Catholics want to water down the Faith as a way to appeal to more people

• Agree Agree x 2
    • List
  12. Bob Crowley

Bob Crowley Well-Known Member Supporter

+381
    Australia
    Catholic
    Married
    When I did RCIA, Alpha wasn't even considered as an option, although it was well known in Protestant circles. That was about 22 or 23 years ago. Our parish is running Alpha now, and there is a bit of a Catholic polish to it, with Pope Francis appearing in at least one episode.

However I quote the lady of the home where I did the RCIA course that "We didn't think you'd go through with it (conversion to the Catholic Church, from a 'Presbyterian' background), as you asked so many questions! But you're the one who has stuck around, and done things."