Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I was curious what the rest of you thought about this considering just a couple of days ago the new Hamas leader said his fight wasn't with America. Change of tune now perhaps?

T he new leader of the Palestinian militant group Hamas in Gaza has denounced President George Bush as an "enemy of Muslims".
Abdel Aziz al-Rantissi was speaking to some 5,000 supporters in Gaza City.

He said Mr Bush and Israeli Prime Minister Ariel Sharon had "declared war against Allah" but "Allah declares war against America, Bush and Sharon".

Mr Rantissi was named leader in Gaza after Israel assassinated Hamas founder Sheikh Ahmed Yassin last Monday.

Sheikh Yassin, the group's spiritual head, was killed in an Israeli air strike as he returned from a mosque in Gaza City at daybreak.

Seven others were killed and many wounded in the attack.

Israel accused Sheikh Yassin of ordering Hamas suicide bombings which killed hundreds of Israelis.

In the wake of his death, the words of Hamas leaders are being watched very closely for any sign of a further hardening of the organisation's line, or that it might even strike at targets in the West, says the BBC's Alan Johnston in Gaza.

But long-time observers of Hamas in Gaza say that it would be wrong to read too much into Dr Rantissi's speech as he and other Hamas leaders have made this kind of rhetorical attack on the US many times before, our correspondent reports.

Hamas has always made it clear that its military target is Israel and Israel alone.

'Extreme' leader

Speaking at the Islamic University in Gaza on Sunday, Mr Rantissi said he was not surprised that the US vetoed a UN Security Council resolution condemning the missile strike which killed Sheikh Yassin.

"[Sheikh Yassin] said the war of God continues against them and I can see the victory coming up from the land of Palestine by the hand of Hamas", he said.

Israeli government spokesman Avi Pazner has described Mr Rantissi as "one of the most extreme members of Hamas".

Questioned over the killing of Sheikh Yassin last week, President Bush said that Israel had a "right to defend itself from terror" - but should also bear in mind the consequences.

The rest of the story can be found @

http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/pr/fr/-/2/hi/middle_east/3576563.stm

jameseb

Smite me, O Mighty Smiter!
Mar 3, 2004
North Little Rock, AR
✟117,368.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Tangnefedd said:
Well I suppose as Israel and the US are joined at the hip, it is not surprising Hamas is turning its attention on Americans too.

Hmm..... perhaps so, but I don't think Hamas really wants the US turning its attention towards it in return. ;)

I'm not sure what the new leader was getting at here, but this would be a major shift from previous Hamas statements that their only fight is with Israel.

Upvote 0

UberLutheran

Feb 2, 2004
✟20,440.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
...and the people in that church were praying in their native language, that everyone there would be praying to "Allah"?

"Allah" is the Arabic word for "God". :rolleyes:

Likewise, if you go to Spain, everyone will be praying to "Dios"; and in France, everyone will be praying to "Dieu"; and in German, they would be praying to "Gott"; and if you go to Russia, they will be praying to "Bog".

:sigh:

Upvote 0

jameseb

Mar 3, 2004
North Little Rock, AR
✟117,368.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
UberLutheran said:
...and the people in that church were praying in their native language, that everyone there would be praying to "Allah"?

"Allah" is the Arabic word for "God". :rolleyes:

Yes, Uber, thank you so much for that, but contrary to your thinking, I was aware of this. :rolleyes:

Likewise, if you go to Spain, everyone will be praying to "Dios"; and in France, everyone will be praying to "Dieu"; and in German, they would be praying to "Gott"; and if you go to Russia, they will be praying to "Bog".

:sigh:

And He's known as 'Mola' in Swahili. So, um, could I ask you what's your point here?

I'm not sure if you read the article, but it has nothing to do with the names of God. Its about an apparent shift in Hamas thinking in regards to the US.

Try reading more than just the title next time. ;)

Upvote 0

jameseb

Mar 3, 2004
North Little Rock, AR
✟117,368.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Ampmonster said:
Uber, he was quoting hamas. you need to explain that linguistic distinction to the lovely terrorists.

Hehe, I see I wasn't the only one lost on the purpose of his post. ;)

Upvote 0

UberLutheran

Feb 2, 2004
✟20,440.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Ampmonster said:
Uber, he was quoting hamas. you need to explain that linguistic distinction to the lovely terrorists.

...explaining linguistic differences to Christian fundamentalists -- many (if not most) of whom are so Biblically illiterate that they don't know there are two versions of the Ten Commandments, let alone the order of the commandments in the Exodus version, IF they know the actual TEXT of the Commandments (but of course, they want the Commandments posted everywhere.).

So tell me, Ampmonster -- why would God (Allah) declare war on the West, if so many Christians insist that God (in English) is about to declare war on the East (as so many who believe in a literal interpretation of Revelation state)? Wouldn't that be tantamount to God declaring war on God? :sigh:

:rolleyes:

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

UnhandledException

Oct 7, 2003
California
Visit site
✟8,330.00
Faith
Christian
UberLutheran said:
So tell me, Ampmonster -- why would God (Allah) declare war on the West, if so many Christians insist that God (in English) is about to declare war on the East (as so many who believe in a literal interpretation of Revelation state)? Wouldn't that be tantamount to God declaring war on God? :sigh:
If you don't see the difference between their god and the God of Jesus Christ, you have some serious praying to do.

Just ask, we'll help you.

Upvote 0

Blessed75

Jun 24, 2003
✟5,134.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Hix said:
Wow, what a surprise, about as surprising as when all those "people" were out dancing and celebrating on the streets in the West Bank and Gaza during 9/11.
okay, those were my sentiments exactly. Now, I'll bow out of this thread as I see a flame war about to erupt.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

jameseb

Mar 3, 2004
North Little Rock, AR
✟117,368.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Hix said:
Wow, what a surprise, about as surprising as when all those "people" were out dancing and celebrating on the streets in the West Bank and Gaza during 9/11.

Yep, I know... I saw that disgusting display myself. However, this is a slightly monumental moment as Hamas as never referred to the US as an 'enemy' until now. At least they seem to be eluding to that now.

Upvote 0

Hix

Zionist Jew
Dec 29, 2003
✟17,284.00
Faith
Judaism
Politics
UK-Conservative
jameseb said:
Yep, I know... I saw that disgusting display myself. However, this is a slightly monumental moment as Hamas as never referred to the US as an 'enemy' until now. At least they seem to be eluding to that now.

*nods* agreed, Hamas are on Americas list of international terror groups, arent they?

Upvote 0

jameseb

Mar 3, 2004
North Little Rock, AR
✟117,368.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Hix said:
*nods* agreed, Hamas are on Americas list of international terror groups, arent they?

Yes, they sure are. However, we've never conducted military operations against them. If Hamas does indeed start targeting American interests, its going to make things get a lot more messy there...

Upvote 0

UberLutheran

Feb 2, 2004
✟20,440.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
jameseb said:
Yes, Uber, thank you so much for that, but contrary to your thinking, I was aware of this. :rolleyes:

And He's known as 'Mola' in Swahili. So, um, could I ask you what's your point here?

I'm not sure if you read the article, but it has nothing to do with the names of God. Its about an apparent shift in Hamas thinking in regards to the US.

Try reading more than just the title next time. ;)

Not "Hamas Declares War on America".

Not "Hamas Says Allah Declares War on America."

Not "Hamas USES Allah as a Pretext for Declaring War on America." (Of course, we Christians would NEVER think of using God in such a way, would we, James? And certainly not in Kosovo or Serbia, because there's only one party in that conflict who has been mortally offended, and that must be the Serbs -- the same Serbs who tried to take over Kosovo (and Bosnia-Herzegovina, for that matter) and wipe the Muslims off the map. But then, when if someone is ethnically cleansing an entire culture for God, that makes it all right, doesn't it? :bow: )

No: your OP said, "ALLAH declares War Against America".

Now, considering our culture of greed, materialism, getting ahead by any way possible (even if we have to screw over our neighbors or friends to get what we want), and making the lives of the poor, the disabled, and the elderly as miserable as possible while devoting half of our gross national product to "defense" (which includes the rebuilding of a certain California Republican Congressman's private swimming pool at public expense in the 2004-5 Budget) I probably couldn't blame God if he DID declare war on America;

not to mention how we've created mega-churches, complete with fast food restaurants, banks, and lounges within these churches (which sounds an awful like the money changers in the Temple which Jesus found so objectionable); and we've somehow mixed and matched OUR national will with God's will so we can invade whatever country happens to be making us mad or in the way of our Manifest Destiny (the Indian Nations of the U.S., Granada, Panama, Iraq) and state that our invasion is the "will of God" -- and I believe the term for that is called "blasphemy"; and that we've developed such a shallow national religious culture that people can insist erect that monuments the Ten Commandments be erected even if they can't name five of the Commandments -- which I believe is called "idolatry"; and people can use Scripture as a weapon against other people to tell them how they should live, but neatly overlook all the passages which tell those same people how they should be living (IF we're not turning the Bible into a deity unto itself -- but then, America certainly loves its chosen idols, doesn't it?)

But God (Allah, Dios, Dieu, Gott, Bog, whatever) wouldn't let HIS chosen nation be invaded, would He?

Just ask Israel. THEY got conquered and exiled by the Babylonians -- and then the Romans (and they were REALLY righteous when they got dispersed by the Romans). ;)

Upvote 0

UberLutheran

Feb 2, 2004
✟20,440.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
UnhandledException said:
If you don't see the difference between their god and the God of Jesus Christ, you have some serious praying to do.

Just ask, we'll help you.

MY God is "Gott", because German IS the mother tongue.

That's OK, though. I'll pray for you. ;)

Upvote 0