United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
An overview from a master King Arthur baker

Our Artisan Bread series explores the world of professional-level bread baking and brings you more resources and guidance around how to hone your skills at true hand-crafted bread. You'll find tools, inspiration, and confidence to experiment and master what is perhaps the simplest, and the most complex, of baking genres: artisan bread.

Welcome to baguette month in our Artisan Bread series! We’ve chosen baguettes as the focus of our second month because it’s a bread that truly exemplifies the importance of craft and technique. From the outside, a baguette is a simple mixture with few ingredients. But you and I know it’s more complicated than that.

I spoke to the challenges and rewards in my book, Breaking Bread, writing:

“Oh, the baguette. What could be so hard? In skating there is a triple-salchow: jumping from toe tip to land on one foot, on skates, on ice, no falling. In baking, the baguette is that jump. I say this not to discourage you, but only in order to frame its making, to acknowledge that the baguette is at the center of our craft; it is our basic benchmark of skills in the artisan bread world. I have made thousands and thousands and still hope, every single time I touch them, that they might be better, more consistent, and more beautiful.”

Continued below.
All about classic baguettes