Finland
✟108,913.00
Country
Finland
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
In Relationship

MOSCOW, Feb 16 (Reuters) - Russia's most prominent opposition leader Alexei Navalny collapsed and died on Friday after a walk at the "Polar Wolf" Arctic penal colony where he was serving a long jail term, the Russian prison service said. Navalny, a 47-year-old former lawyer, rose to prominence more than a decade ago with blogs on what he said was vast corruption and opulence among the "crooks and thieves" of Russia's elite.

Not a surprising news, but saddening.

essentialsaltes

Stranger in a Strange Land
Oct 17, 2011
Los Angeles Area
✟830,875.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
“Alexei Navalny fought for the values of freedom and democracy. For his ideals, he made the ultimate sacrifice,” European Council President Charles Michel posted on X, formerly known as Twitter. “The EU holds the Russian regime for sole responsible for this tragic death.”

Following his latest trial, Navalny commented in a social media post, presumably relayed through his team, urging his supporters “not to lose the will to resist.” Of his sentence, he said, the numbers hardly matter — but portrayed his plight as an implicit struggle to the death between himself and Putin’s rule.

“I understand perfectly that, as many political prisoners, I’m serving a life sentence, which is measured by the length of my life or the length of life of this regime,” Navalny said.

--

After Navalny began a hunger strike in late March 2021 to protest Russian authorities’ denial of proper medical treatment — for ailments likely linked to his poisoning with what Western doctors said was the nerve agent Novichok, — his plight prompted anguish and fury from supporters at home and around the world.

Behind bars, he developed severe back pain and numbness in his legs, possible side effects of his poisoning. Russian authorities responded to his requests for proper medical care by sending in what Navalny called a propagandist — Maria Butina, who served jail time in the United States for working as a foreign agent before being sent back home to Russia — along with a television crew, to mock his claims of ill treatment.

Upvote 0

Whyayeman

Dec 8, 2018
Worcestershire
✟162,631.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Sadly it was only a matter of time.
Or timing. Who knows the machinations of the controlling mind in Russia?

The Russian regime under Putin has a history of murdering its opponents and critics. Litvinenko in London in 2006; Boris Nemtsov in 2015; the botched attempt on Sergei Skripal in Salisbury in 2018 and on Navalny in 2020; Yevgeny Prigizhin last year.

I think Navalny is just the latest victim. Putin, I think, ordered these attacks. He should be shunned by the world.

• Agree
Reactions: Vambram
Upvote 0

Arcangl86

Dec 29, 2013
✟347,680.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Green
Or timing. Who knows the machinations of the controlling mind in Russia?

The Russian regime under Putin has a history of murdering its opponents and critics. Litvinenko in London in 2006; Boris Nemtsov in 2015; the botched attempt on Sergei Skripal in Salisbury in 2018 and on Navalny in 2020; Yevgeny Prigizhin last year.

I think Navalny is just the latest victim. Putin, I think, ordered these attacks. He should be shunned by the world.

My understanding is that most agree that the poisoning was ordered by Putin and pretty much everybody outside of Russia, and many inside, considered him a political prisoner. So his dying is going to look bad for Putin.

Upvote 0

Handmaid for Jesus

You can't steal my joy
Site Supporter
Dec 19, 2010
enroute
✟1,406,110.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
My understanding is that most agree that the poisoning was ordered by Putin and pretty much everybody outside of Russia, and many inside, considered him a political prisoner. So his dying is going to look bad for Putin.
He does not care how it looks.

• Agree
Reactions: Vambram
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

7thKeeper

Scion of the Devonian Sea
Jul 8, 2006
Finland
✟108,913.00
Country
Finland
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
In Relationship
He does not care how it looks.
Oh yeah, he doesn't care at all. And any condemnation from other nations for killing a political opponent will just be used as evidence of hostility towards Russia.

Upvote 0

wing2000

E pluribus unum
Site Supporter
Aug 18, 2012
✟1,430,790.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0

Handmaid for Jesus

You can't steal my joy
Site Supporter
Dec 19, 2010
enroute
✟1,406,110.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Nor does it matter to those in this country who admire Putin and the Russian autocracy...sadly.
Ooooh! Sho u right! And we have not heard any reaction from them! Maybe they are quiet because they are afraid they may meet a similar fate. :scratch:

Upvote 0

wing2000

E pluribus unum
Site Supporter
Aug 18, 2012
✟1,430,790.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
At an event this week, Carlson was asked why he didn’t challenge Putin on Navalny and the deaths of other Russia opposition figures. He offered a rhetorical shrug: “Leadership requires killing people.”

and of course the MAGA sphere is now pitching Trump as Navalny. They have no shame.

Right-wing commentator Jack Posobiec echoed this idea, saying that Navalny’s death was “what Biden and the Democrats want for Trump and MAGA.” Former Trump State Department official Mike Benz had a similar suggestion about the former president.

Filmmaker Dinesh D’Souza, fresh from having his election-fraud movie again exposed as nonsense, took a similar tack.
“Navalny=Trump,” he wrote. “The plan of the Biden regime and the Democrats is to ensure their leading political opponent dies in prison. There’s no real difference between the two cases.”

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Handmaid for Jesus

You can't steal my joy
Site Supporter
Dec 19, 2010
enroute
✟1,406,110.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
At an event this week, Carlson was asked why he didn’t challenge Putin on Navalny and the deaths of other Russia opposition figures. He offered a rhetorical shrug: “Leadership requires killing people.”

and of course the MAGA sphere is now pitching Trump as Navalny. They have no shame.

Right-wing commentator Jack Posobiec echoed this idea, saying that Navalny’s death was “what Biden and the Democrats want for Trump and MAGA.” Former Trump State Department official Mike Benz had a similar suggestion about the former president.

Filmmaker Dinesh D’Souza, fresh from having his election-fraud movie again exposed as nonsense, took a similar tack.
“Navalny=Trump,” he wrote. “The plan of the Biden regime and the Democrats is to ensure their leading political opponent dies in prison. There’s no real difference between the two cases.”

Ok there is the spin.

Reactions: DaisyDay
Upvote 0

Nithavela

our world is happy and mundane
Apr 14, 2007
Comb. Pizza Hut and Taco Bell/Jamaica Avenue.
✟494,075.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single

And of course some of them fondly imagine Trump putting his opponents into the gulag, with cries of "the left made us do it!"

Upvote 0

Handmaid for Jesus

You can't steal my joy
Site Supporter
Dec 19, 2010
enroute
✟1,406,110.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
And of course some of them fondly imagine Trump putting his opponents into the gulag, with cries of "the left made us do it!"
Yes it is their fantasy.

Upvote 0

SoldierOfTheKing

Christian Spenglerian
Jan 6, 2006
Kenmore, WA
✟278,767.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
I feel bad for the doctors in berlin who revived him, only for him to march to his death anyway.
It must be discouraging to see your agents die on you like that…

Upvote 0