St. Louis, MO.
✟374,249.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
The active duty U.S. Air Force member who set himself on fire in front of the Israeli Embassy has died of his injuries, the Metropolitan Police Department confirmed on Monday.

Aaron Bushnell, 25, of San Antonio, lit himself on fire in front of the embassy on Sunday afternoon. First responders took him to a hospital, where he later died, the MPD said

Horrible. It's reminiscent of the Buddhist monk who immolated himself back in 1962 to protest of the treatment of Buddhists by the South Vietnamese government.

Air Force member Aaron Bushnell dies after setting himself on fire near Israeli Embassy

Vanellus

Sep 15, 2014
✟116,014.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
He cried "free Palestine". We wouldn't say Jesus had mental health problems or those who took on suicide missions in WW2 so I don't think one can assume Aaron Bushnell had mental health problems just because he made an extreme protest against something one might actually approve of. There are forum members here who actually approve of killing around 30,000 people in Gaza in the supposed attempt to defeat Hamas, even though Hamas is not contained by a fixed number of people but is actually an embodiment of an idea ("we want our land back") not a fixed set of people.

Last edited:
  • Winner
Reactions: DaisyDay
Upvote 0

Vanellus

Sep 15, 2014
✟116,014.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
The active duty U.S. Air Force member who set himself on fire in front of the Israeli Embassy has died of his injuries, the Metropolitan Police Department confirmed on Monday.

Aaron Bushnell, 25, of San Antonio, lit himself on fire in front of the embassy on Sunday afternoon. First responders took him to a hospital, where he later died, the MPD said

Horrible. It's reminiscent of the Buddhist monk who immolated himself back in 1962 to protest of the treatment of Buddhists by the South Vietnamese government.

Air Force member Aaron Bushnell dies after setting himself on fire near Israeli Embassy
Incredibly an Israeli embassy guard points a gun at Bushnell as he is dying and keeps him covered as if he is some kind of threat - symbolic of what Israel is doing to Gaza.

Upvote 0

GoldenBoy89

We're Still Here
Sep 25, 2012
LA
✟555,974.00
Country
United States
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
He cried "free Palestine". We wouldn't say Jesus had mental health problems or those who took on suicide missions in WW2 so I don't think one can assume Aaron Bushnell had mental health problems just because he made an extreme protest against something one might actually approve of. There are forum members here who actually approve of killing around 30,000 people in Gaza in the supposed attempt to defeat Hamas, even though Hamas is not contained by a fixed number of people but is actually an embodiment of an idea ("we want our land back") not a fixed set of people.
I say they’re both nuts.

Upvote 0

RocksInMyHead

God is innocent; Noah built on a floodplain!
May 12, 2011
PA
✟320,869.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Truly an hero.
1708977986938.png

Upvote 0

MotoToTheMax

Nov 3, 2022
United States
✟66,066.00
Country
United States
Faith
Skeptic
Marital Status
Private
I don’t understand killing yourself as a form of protest. Why not kill other people?
Martyrdom messages can be less effective if you kill others doing it. Martyrs as a concept shouldn't sway anybody anyways, but if you kill yourself only, others might see you as more genuine and thus increases the chance they might look into your message deeper. "Why did they do that?" instead of "Oh another nutjuob murderer, their message is useless."

That's my hypothesis anyway.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Nithavela

our world is happy and mundane
Apr 14, 2007
Comb. Pizza Hut and Taco Bell/Jamaica Avenue.
✟493,823.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
I don’t understand killing yourself as a form of protest. Why not kill other people?
Well, it's a lot easier lighting yourself on fire than running after people with a gasoline canister and a box of matches.

Upvote 0

eleos1954

God is Love
Site Supporter
Nov 14, 2017
Utah
✟722,349.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others

Suicide is a tragedy ... may he rest in peace.

Upvote 0

essentialsaltes

Stranger in a Strange Land
Oct 17, 2011
Los Angeles Area
✟830,378.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
I think it's interesting that he was active service and felt "complicit in genocide".

U.S. service members are prohibited from acts of political protest, under the Pentagon’s long-standing policy of remaining nonpartisan while civilian leaders oversee policy decisions. While no one else in uniform has stepped out against the war in Gaza as stridently as Bushnell, some service members do have misgivings about it and frustration that critics of the war blame U.S. military support for Israeli military actions.

Upvote 0

wing2000

E pluribus unum
Site Supporter
Aug 18, 2012
✟1,429,917.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Less than two weeks before Aaron Bushnell walked toward the gates of the Israeli Embassy on Sunday, he and a friend talked by phone about their shared identities as anarchists and what kinds of risks and sacrifices were needed to be effective.

Bushnell, 25, mentioned nothing violent or self-sacrificial, the friend said.

Then on Sunday, Bushnell texted that friend, who described the exchange on the condition of anonymity to protect his safety.
“I hope you’ll understand. I love you,” Bushnell wrote in a message reviewed by The Washington Post. “This doesn’t even make sense, but I feel like I’m going to miss you.”

Bushnell was raised in a religious compound in Orleans, Mass., on Cape Cod, according to Susan Wilkins, 59, who said she was a member of the group from 1970 to 2005. She said that she knew Bushnell and his family on the compound and that he was still a member when she left. Wilkins said she heard through members of Bushnell’s family that he eventually left the group.

The group, called the Community of Jesus, has faced allegations of inappropriate behavior, which it has publicly disputed. In a lawsuit against an Ontario school, where many officials were alleged to be members of the U.S.-based religious group, former students called the Community of Jesus a “charismatic sect” and alleged that it “created an environment of control, intimidation and humiliation that fostered and inflicted enduring harms on its students.” The school, now defunct, disputed the allegations. Last year, an appeals court in Canada awarded 10.8 million Canadian dollars to the former students, who attended the Ontario school between 1973 and 1997.

Multiple people who said they were former members of the Community of Jesus described their years after leaving the compound as particularly challenging. They said former members, soon after they depart the group, often long for a sense of belonging.
“A lot of us that got out are very much into social justice, trying to defend those who don’t or can’t defend themselves, because that is what we went through,” said Bonnie Zampino, 54, who said she was a member of the group for three years in the 1980s.

Upvote 0

DaisyDay

I Did Nothing Wrong!! ~~Team Deep State
Jan 7, 2003
Finger Lakes
✟212,659.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
That's a different message. There are a lot of people who are badly affected watching this slow genocide play out. They are genuinely disturbed by seeing the destruction of a people and everyone just standing by, some even cheering the cruelty.

• Agree
Reactions: Vanellus
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Fantine

Dona Quixote
Site Supporter
Jun 11, 2005
✟1,091,275.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
We are all powerless against Netanyahu's genocide. The whole world has condemned his policies at the UN.
The U.S. is urging restraint but, to our shame, we are still funding him.
In situations like these, we must do what we can and then leave it in God's hands.
We need more chaplains who can minister to the tortured souls of military who witness these atrocities.

Upvote 0

mindlight

See in the dark
Site Supporter
Dec 20, 2003
London, UK
✟824,256.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

A poor cause to die for since Hamas started this conflict in Gaza. The casualties there can be directly blamed on their policy of using civilians as human shields. The Israelis have to finish what they have started and eliminate Hamas's control over Gaza.

As for the idea of a free Palestine, it seems the time for it has passed. Right or wrong there is no way that the Israeli people will want a terrorist state on their borders, they lack the geographical depth to accommodate that and why would they want that when these same terrorists are looking to exterminate them all? So Arab countries need to open up their borders and allow the people out of these desperate prisons in Gaza and the West Bank so that they can get on with their lives.

Reactions: Landon Caeli
Upvote 0

stevil

Godless and without morals
Feb 5, 2011
✟249,915.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
I reckon, people that want to do mass murder should start with themselves first.

Upvote 0