AG Barr blames Secularists for mental health problems and more.

Sistrin

We are such stuff as dreams are made on...
Site Supporter
Jun 9, 2012
Location Location Location
✟197,980.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hedonistic nihilism is the logical conclusion of materialistic ideologies. I don't see anything extreme about the idea itself.

You fail to see anything extreme in the practice of hedonistic nihilism? I have to wonder if you even know what the terms mean.

Upvote 0

loveofourlord

Feb 15, 2014
✟270,357.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Which part of this, quote:

“We see the growing ascendancy of secularism and the doctrine of moral relativism,” he said. “Basically every measure of this social pathology continues to gain ground.”

He described several social issues as “consequences of this moral upheaval.”

“Along with the wreckage of the family, we are seeing record levels of depression and mental illness, dispirited young people, soaring suicide rates, increasing numbers of angry and alienated young males, an increase in senseless violence and a deadly drug epidemic.”

“This is not decay. This is organized destruction. Secularists and their allies have marshaled all the forces of mass communication, popular culture, the entertainment industry and academia, in an unremitting assault on religion and traditional values.”

Isn't true?

first linking moral relativism to secularism, while some might hold to that, he seems to be implying it's more then differences in opinions on whats right or wrong, but to the idea that everything is permissible all of the timje.

2nd, trying to link everything in the second paragraph to the third one, that some how criticizing religion for it's failings, or wanting evidence is some how causing suicides and family wreckage and so on. It's just trying to scapegoat someone else for problems that everyone in society has, and that society has had as long as there has been society.

As a Christian I find this all offensive, instead of engaging them where they are, it's so much easier to make them into the villians, and people wonder why so many are leaving Christianity.

Reactions: comana
Upvote 0

rambot

Apr 13, 2006
Up your nose....wid a rubbah hose.
✟367,893.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Greens
Of COURSE he'd say that. That is EXACTLY the gaslighter's script. "You guys are crazy and making things go terribly."

Your president has lied MULTIPLY thousands of times; often times for no conceivable reason. He's a terrible communicator and relies and implicit threats or connotations; he says random stuff in attempts to "control the media" (admittedly with some success and skill).

But these are not GOOD skills. These are the skills of a misanthrope. So don't blame the public that responds to a misanthrope in anti-social ways. Keep misanthropes from being able to exert power over anyone.

Upvote 0

Ricky M

Site Supporter
Apr 19, 2017
Los Angeles
✟130,544.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Supply Side Jesus
For a heathen atheist, Bill Maher makes some good points doesn't he? I think that's a clip every Christian who backs Trump should see.

Upvote 0

Ricky M

Site Supporter
Apr 19, 2017
Los Angeles
✟130,544.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Which part of this, quote:

“We see the growing ascendancy of secularism and the doctrine of moral relativism,” he said. “Basically every measure of this social pathology continues to gain ground.”

He described several social issues as “consequences of this moral upheaval.”

“Along with the wreckage of the family, we are seeing record levels of depression and mental illness, dispirited young people, soaring suicide rates, increasing numbers of angry and alienated young males, an increase in senseless violence and a deadly drug epidemic.”

“This is not decay. This is organized destruction. Secularists and their allies have marshaled all the forces of mass communication, popular culture, the entertainment industry and academia, in an unremitting assault on religion and traditional values.”

Isn't true?
I don't think this particular statement is false; I think the issue is more about a guy with a huge plank in his eye trying to remove the splinter from another's.

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
You fail to see anything extreme in the practice of hedonistic nihilism? I have to wonder if you even know what the terms mean.
I think he's refering to the ideas said by barr.
I think he's referring to the consequences of hedonistic nihilism. At any rate, there was little in the speech which we are dissecting that actually warrants a fight. He is entitled to give his opinions about this matter and the opinions given are rather ordinary.

Upvote 0