• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

Afraid of eternity

Faranor

Razorsharp
Jul 16, 2003
Visit site
✟15,281.00
Faith
Protestant
I'm kind of scared of eternity. like, there's no end. When you go to heaven, you just stay there FOREVER. This is a really scary thought for me. I'm kind of thinking if it wouldn't be better if you just died and that was it. Then you just disappeared as if you never existed, like before you was born. nothing, zip, nada!

It's no matter if it's heaven or hell, they're both eternal.. (well, hell is bit more scary perhaps...)

I guess eternity is a too big issue for me to understand.. I always feel depressed when I think about it..

Anyone else feel the same way?

Judilyn

Once Ej or Erin-Joy now Judilyn or Lynn .
Aug 2, 2003
Illinois
Visit site
✟8,157.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Faranor, What used to bother me about eternity was the whole judgement issue. I used to think how awful it would be to stand in front our Lord and countless others and for them to hear just what a terrible person I really was. BUt then I learned that judgement is not going to be handled in that way. It won't be used to gorify me in anyway. All the glory will be given to God as we stand in awe of His wonderful grace and mercy. (Hope that makes sense, I just came out of a week long hospital say so I am still feeling very woozy :sick: )

Also, you have to remember that eternity in heaven will be the perfect environment and all the pain that you are feeling now will not be there.:cool:

Upvote 0
:clap: I agree totally with erin-joy, {eternity is not going to be some long drawn out time consuming excistance in outerspace, Its going to be full of things to do in heaven, I believe what were learning down here is just a stepping stone compared to what will be going on in heaven, now for those in hell its a different story it will I'm sure by reading what I read in the bible, it will be of sorts a long drawn out existence of nashing of teeth etc.} I prefer Heaven

Upvote 0

cyberwing

Blessed beyond the curse!
Aug 26, 2003
Heart of Dixie
Visit site
✟37,476.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Dear Faranor,
Precious one, you must have a very limited idea of heaven! Heaven will not be fat little people with wings sitting on clouds and plucking harps! You are looking at what 'Hollyrock' thinks of heaven and I would venture a guess most of them aren't even going!!!
Heaven is going to be beyond awesome! We will be with Our Beloved Bridegroom! We will be involved in the most incredibly cool things! This is the place created by THE CREATOR! HE who made the universe with all it's myriad planets, suns, nebula, etc. Heaven will be exciting and thrilling beyond anything you have ever experienced!
What do you love to do? I love the beach, I know there will be beaches and beauty I cannot even begin to dream of right now! Wow, someone has lied to you and God doesn't lie.......so......ahem.....:D
Oneiric is absolutely correct too, you are thinking of linear time. Heaven is OUTSIDE of linear time. God told us that there are things we cannot comprehend and good things HE has planned for us that man has not dreamed of nor ever experienced!!! Wow! I'm excited! I want to go home!!! {listens to see if the sounds of a shofar can be heard in the heavens...} Not yet, but I'm waiting!!!
Hell is very different. Hell was made for satan and the one third of the angels that followed him. It is a place for eternal torment for those eternal beings who betrayed and rejected God. Satan wants to destroy as much of God's creation (man) as he can. It is NOT God who will send man to hell, it is man's choice. For by not accepting the truth when the Gospel is preached they have made their choice. *Good news also you CAN change your mind and accept him as long as you do it now. You have to CHOOSE Him.
Hope that helps. :hug: "Choose you this day, whom you shall serve, As for me and my house, we serve the Lord!"
~DJ

Upvote 0

Galadriel

Lady of Light
Jun 24, 2003
USA
✟12,354.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Erin-Joy said:
Faranor, What used to bother me about eternity was the whole judgement issue. I used to think how awful it would be to stand in front our Lord and countless others and for them to hear just what a terrible person I really was. BUt then I learned that judgement is not going to be handled in that way. It won't be used to gorify me in anyway. All the glory will be given to God as we stand in awe of His wonderful grace and mercy. (Hope that makes sense, I just came out of a week long hospital say so I am still feeling very woozy :sick: )

Also, you have to remember that eternity in heaven will be the perfect environment and all the pain that you are feeling now will not be there.:cool:
Aww I hear ya Erin-Joy!!! Yes, I too look upon that with total dread. I just picture wanting to fall through the umm, clouds, er floorboards at that time. (I hope you feel better soon from your hospital stay!)

Cyberwing, you are SO right!! Yes, that is where the trouble comes in, is when we try to think of eternity with our time-bound minds. What is that verse that is so great? It is something about "...our minds cannot comprehend what awaits for those who love the Lord" or something like that (that was not a direct quote). But that goes to show, whatever it is it will be GREAT and trying to think of it while we are still here on this earth, well, we just cannot fathom what it will be like. How great is that? Lol. So yeah I know what you mean about eternity, its like "oh geez, you mean for EVER!?" But I cannot think of anywheres better than spending forever there. :)

Upvote 0

Kathy

Veteran
Sep 7, 2003
Connecticut,USA
Visit site
✟8,891.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Hi All....Sometimes I too think about Heaven and what does everyone do there all day long, forever. Do you ever run out of things to do? What does Heaven look like? so on and so on.....But I do know that Heaven is not on our time,whole different concept.Read that it is beyond words,BEAUIFUL and place you would never ever want to leave.I know it's hard to imagine,I guess we will never ever really know till we get there. Thats what I'm looking forward to some day....HEAVEN! :clap: God Bless

Upvote 0

desper84unity

Jul 31, 2003
✟352.00
Faith
Christian
My turn.

What do you think happens when in prayer or worship you receive the Presence of God? You really somehow have moved into eternity with the Father. Haven't you noticed (I expect so) that time goes by quickly, like reeaal fast? Also, haven't you had the experience of an annointing in God that can be described as a baptism in FIRE. I not going to quibble about what YOU may think that phrase means theologically, but I use it to describe the experience of being FILLED with the Holy Spirit. And I'm not talking about tongues (though for some I suppose that's there too). Anyway for me it has been like what it might be LIKE in eternity, timeLESS and FULL of energy. I've thought, "ALRIGHT bring it on!"

I know a simple secret ingredient that works for me, in addition to the obedience and worship, if you're interested. (don't worry it's Biblical)

Upvote 0