Defensor Fidei

Jan 8, 2005
New York
✟4,207.00
Faith
Atheist
Politics
US-Green
Fischer calls for ‘Underground Railroad’ to kidnap children of LGBT parents | The Raw Story

The director of issues analysis of a conservative fundamentalist Christian organization is backing the idea of an “Underground Railroad” to kidnap children from same sex couples.
jrr6ux.png

10fxe08.png

This man spoke just minutes after Mitt Romney at the 2011 Values Voter Summit...we heard so much about Rev. Wright, why don't we ever talk about the religious extremists who control Mitt Romney and the GOP these days?

MachZer0

Caught Between Barack and a Hard Place
Mar 9, 2005
✟86,609.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
There seems to be a bit of disinformation on the part of the article quoted in the OP. Fischer's comments had nothing to do with kidnapping children from homosexual couples. He was supporting the child's actual parent involved in a custody/visitation dispute with a non-parent. Not quite the same as what the article and the OP would have us believe.

Reactions: HerbieHeadley
Upvote 0

MachZer0

Mar 9, 2005
✟86,609.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

RedDead1981

Prayer is beautiful when it's sincere
Jul 4, 2010
✟14,181.00
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Lets see that whole paragraph without the inconvenient parts cut out.

Islam has no fundamental First Amendment claims, for the simple reason that it was not written to protect the religion of Islam. Islam is entitled only to the religious liberty we extend to it out of courtesy. While there certainly ought to be a presumption of religious liberty for non-Christian religious traditions in America, the Founders were not writing a suicide pact when they wrote the First Amendment

Upvote 0

Illuminaughty

Drift and Doubt
May 18, 2012
✟20,609.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Green
Islam has no fundamental First Amendment claims, for the simple reason that it was not written to protect the religion of Islam. Islam is entitled only to the religious liberty we extend to it out of courtesy.
When he says "Islam" I'm hoping he isn't talking about Muslims who are American citizens. Regardless of whether "Islam" has any claim Muslims living here certainly do. People have the same rights and their religion is completely beside the point.

Upvote 0

BleedingHeart

Feb 1, 2011
Grand Blanc, Michigan
✟2,049.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Here's what was claimed Fischer said;

"Bryan Fischer: Religious Liberty for Christians Only"

That seems to not be true

From the first quoted paragraph.

"The First Amendment was written by the Founders to protect the free exercise of Christianity. They were making no effort to give special protections to Islam. Quite the contrary. We actually at the time were dealing with our first encounters with jihad in the form of the Barbary Pirates, which is why Jefferson bought a copy of the Koran."

And from the last paragraph.

"From a constitutional point of view, Muslims have no First Amendment right to build mosques in America. They have that privilege at the moment, but it is a privilege that can be revoked if, as is in fact the case, Islam is a totalitarian ideology dedicated to the destruction of the United States. The Constitution, it bears repeating, is not a suicide pact. For Muslims, patriotism is not the last refuge of a scoundrel, but the First Amendment is."

Upvote 0

MachZer0

Mar 9, 2005
✟86,609.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
From the first quoted paragraph.

"The First Amendment was written by the Founders to protect the free exercise of Christianity. They were making no effort to give special protections to Islam. Quite the contrary. We actually at the time were dealing with our first encounters with jihad in the form of the Barbary Pirates, which is why Jefferson bought a copy of the Koran."
Let me re-quote the claim once again.

Again, that claim seems to be false.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Rion

Annuit Cœptis
Site Supporter
Oct 26, 2006
Nebraska
✟419,198.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Fischer calls for ‘Underground Railroad’ to kidnap children of LGBT parents | The Raw Story

This man spoke just minutes after Mitt Romney at the 2011 Values Voter Summit...we heard so much about Rev. Wright, why don't we ever talk about the religious extremists who control Mitt Romney and the GOP these days?

Provided all is as claimed, he's... An idiot. (Best that I can get away here.) However, I didn't realize he was a Mormon or that Mittens sat in his church for 20 years, and had this guy baptize his children.

Oh, and out of curiosity, if I were to dig through the Wright threads, I'd find you having the same opinion then as now, right?

Upvote 0

BleedingHeart

Feb 1, 2011
Grand Blanc, Michigan
✟2,049.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Let me re-quote the claim once again.

Again, that claim seems to be false.

I figured you'd retreat into the "semantics corner" eventually.

Upvote 0

Illuminaughty

Drift and Doubt
May 18, 2012
✟20,609.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Green
I'm wondering why that statement outraged you more than the quote by Bryan Fischer? It might have been an ever so slight bit of hyperbole because it left out "except the rights we give them out of courtesy" (wow now rights aren't inalienable they are given via state courtesy awesome ) but is that the one that really stood out to you and not what Bryan Fischer said?

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.