Middle Tennessee
✟11,940.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
I heard and interesting sermon (don't remember who was preaching) that stated we had Jesus Christ as our advocate before God the Father and how he was our only advocate or intercessor. Yet, two sentences later he stated that the Holy Spirit made intercession for us in our prayers...advocating for us. I know these terminologies are in the Bible and used for both of these personages of the Trinity....yet, the way he worded it could possibly lead some to believe that there is an error in the Scriptures. 1 JN 2:1 talks about Christ being our advocate, as does Rev 1:8. Hebrews 7:25 talks about the Holy Spirit interceding for us in prayer.
Is there ANY reason a preacher/pastor/evangelist would intentionally or unintentionally word his sermon in such a way that it would look like there are errors in the Bible? I find this disturbing as it's happening more and more these days from our pulpits. Are these unqualified men we have before us?
Thanks in advance.

HTacianas

Jul 9, 2018
Florida
✟321,866.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
I heard and interesting sermon (don't remember who was preaching) that stated we had Jesus Christ as our advocate before God the Father and how he was our only advocate or intercessor. Yet, two sentences later he stated that the Holy Spirit made intercession for us in our prayers...advocating for us. I know these terminologies are in the Bible and used for both of these personages of the Trinity....yet, the way he worded it could possibly lead some to believe that there is an error in the Scriptures. 1 JN 2:1 talks about Christ being our advocate, as does Rev 1:8. Hebrews 7:25 talks about the Holy Spirit interceding for us in prayer.
Is there ANY reason a preacher/pastor/evangelist would intentionally or unintentionally word his sermon in such a way that it would look like there are errors in the Bible? I find this disturbing as it's happening more and more these days from our pulpits. Are these unqualified men we have before us?
Thanks in advance.

An advocate and an intercessor are two different things. Jesus is our one advocate, our High Priest. Anyone can be an intercessor. To ask someone to pray for you is to ask for their intercession. If someone prays for you without being asked they are an intercessor.

Upvote 0

actionsub

Sir, this is a Wendy's...
Jun 20, 2004
Belleville, IL
✟57,245.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I'd honestly chalk that one up as an unintentional categorical error. The fact that you cite verses showing that both were correct may have caused the issue. Only change I'd have made is to make a reminder that both are members of the Trinity, etc. to answer any potential questions.

Upvote 0

St_Worm2

Simul Justus et Peccator
Supporter
Jan 28, 2002
✟2,916,149.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Thanks in advance.
Hello Anthony, the Members of the Godhead, who work together as a team (if you will) to bring about our salvation, seem to have different roles that we typically associate with them. The Lord Jesus is specially known as our Savior and Advocate (for a very important reason), while the Holy Spirit is specially known as our Helper, Comforter, Teacher, Guide and Intercessor (though it is important to remember that the Bible makes it clear that He is "Another" Helper/Comforter/Teacher, just to be clear).

That said, the word παράκλητος/parakletos, which is translated as "Advocate" in 1 John 2:1 (with regard to the Lord Jesus), is also translated as "Helper/Comforter" in John 14:16 (in regard to the Holy Spirit).

Of course, the Lord Jesus is also said to ἐντυγχάνω/entugchano "make intercession" for us .. e.g. Romans 8:34; Hebrews 7:25, 9:24, so He too is our "Intercessor", yes?

Finally, while the Lord Jesus Christ is certainly referred to as our Savior, so is His Father.

I guess my overall point is, while there are "roles" that we typically associate with each Member of the Godhead, the same "work" can be/is accomplished by different Members of the Godhead as well (as you have seen .. in the very same way at times, or in different/special ways at times too).

*Perhaps the best thing to do (if possible) is to contact the pastor who preached the sermon, express your concern/confusion about what he said in his sermon, and then ask him to clarify what he meant :oldthumbsup:

God bless you!!

--David
p.s. - I think that a deeper look into all of this would make for a VERY interesting study :oldthumbsup:

Romans 8
26 In the same way the Spirit also helps our weakness; for we do not know how to pray as we should, but the Spirit Himself intercedes [ὑπερεντυγχάνω/huperentugchano] for us with groanings too deep for words;
27 and He who searches the hearts knows what the mind of the Spirit is, because He intercedes [ἐντυγχάνω[entugchano] for the saints according to the will of God.

33 Who will bring a charge against God’s elect? God is the one who justifies;

34 who is the one who condemns? Christ Jesus is He who died, yes, rather who was raised, who is at the right hand of God, who also intercedes [ἐντυγχάνω/entugchano] for us.

Last edited:
Upvote 0