Oct 26, 2006
Northern Centeral United States
Visit site
✟8,126.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Hi there. I am a volunteer at our church in the nursery, and I currently have three kids in their childrens ministry. I have 3 kids in 3 different classes, so ig et to see what's going on in all of them! I am also pretty good friends with someone who is helping to lead the childrens ministry. We've been going to this church for 3 1/2 years now.

There are some issues cropping up in this whole area that my husband and I are very concerned about. Others are as well, although we're not sure if the ministry knows this. We've had at least 2 couples leave because they had concerns aobut the children's ministry (other churches had more to offer). They have brought on a new guy who is suppossed to be inc harge of it all, and all he's done is buy a new cirriculum and ruin our VBS (we did not even take our children to it, purposely). I am going to give this man the benefit of the doubt and assume he is overworked, as they have him over the administration of the church -and the childrens ministry. That sure seems like a lot to me, so I think he's over burdened.

We've also had people that used to be over the childrens ministry that seem to have backed off without warning. I believe they are simply burned out, as they have been doing this for over 10 years. And both of the women who have been doing it (one over the nursery, one over the older kids) do not have children who are in sunday school anymore and they are both grandmas now! So I tihnk they are backing off just due to lack of interest and burnout.

So what I am wondering is if anyone can give advice as to how to nicely approach everyone in leadership about this problem. It needs to be addressed soon as there are 3 more families who we know are considering leaving. Our biggest concerns are aimlessness of the ministry, bad orginazation, and treatment of the volunteers. I am more than willing to step up and help the whole ministry in this area. I am willing to organize, give a vision for a everyone (I'd like to get it all straightened out and work up to opening a daycare through the church), and help out all the classes. Also I'd like to be the middleman for the volunteers and administration, that way the volunteers can come to me with any concerns about anything as well as the parents. I am not trying to grab for power here, and no one else is stepping up. I am jsut very concerned for our kids and families and don't want to lose them all because our childrens ministry is really crappy right now!

So any help as to how to address this would be greatly appriciated! Thanks!

Robinsegg

SuperMod L's
Site Supporter
Mar 1, 2006
Near the Mississippi
✟63,126.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Okay, the first thing that needs to be done is that each person/couple who is concerned needs to go to this guy, and let it be known that there is a problem here (ala Matthew 18).

The second thing you can do is consider creating a "preschool committee" and a "children's committee" that will be able to address the concerns in those areas and be able to directly oversee these areas and report to the man you've mentioned. This will give him someone to help him see what's going on, give you (and the other parents) some reassurance that something is being done about it, and take some of the "details" burden off him.

I guess what I'm saying is that if he's got too much on his plate, help him delegate the part that most concerns you. If he needs to delegate this particular part of ministry, form a group who is willing to step up and take that delegation, with him still overseeing that group.

If that doesn't work for you, or you don't understand what I'm saying, or you need more, please feel free to ask here or via pm! :)

BTW, God bless you for trying to figure out what to do other than leave!

Rachel

Upvote 0
Jul 20, 2007
Illinois
✟15,122.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
It seems to me like this is a calling for you. I have been in a somewhat similar situation, and I just approached the minister, and expressed my concerns. But I also offered to help fix the situation.

Getting a presentation together and going to a leadership meeting to present it could be an effective way to show that you are serious about saving this ministry. Then call a meeting for parents and volunteers. However, don't try to do it all yourself. Call for volunteers and GET EXCITED about it! The excitement will be contagious. Also, talk to the kids. I interviewed kids to see what they like, and what they don't like. Good luck!

Upvote 0

rocklife

Senior Veteran
Apr 4, 2004
✟18,086.00
Faith
Christian
maybe you can write up a resolution and somehow present it/give it to the leadership in a meeting or higher ups. or mail such thing to the head offices. just a thought. In my experience, they don't seem to really listen though if you are just a volunteer, but hopefully they will listen to you.

Upvote 0