✟67,631.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hi Folks,

I tithe 10% on my gross income so thats not what I'm asking about.

My husband just received an inheritance from his mothers retirement account for 35,000 which went directly into another retirement account for him. He says he didn't have the option to cash it in. He says that we shouldn't pay tithes on it until it until it's withdrawn at the time it matures and materializes . He says that right now it's not real money. He says it will rise and fall in value many times before it becomes fully mature.

Is he correct that we don't have to pay tithes on it until it is fully mature and withdrawn? I was thinking that we should find the value of what it would be worth if we took the penalty and cashed it in ....and tithe 10% on that value. But he says no because my scenario is a hypothetical because we are not actually cashing it in.

Theres another issue here which is one of submission to my husband. He feels very strongly that we should not tithe on that money until we "realize" that money. He is very firm on this issue so I really don't want to push him. But I also really want to be faithful to God. So this is really stressing me out.

Btw...we will be receiving some cash money when his moms house is sold and the proceeds are divided among the siblings and he does agree that we can tithe on that money. Just not the retirement money until it materializes.

I would really appreciate any feedback. Thank you.

Episaw

Always learning
Nov 12, 2010
Drouin, Victoria, Australia
✟38,829.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
Hi Folks,

My husband just received an inheritance from his mothers retirement account for 35,000 which went directly into another retirement account for him. He says he didn't have the option to cash it in. He says that we shouldn't pay tithes on it until it until it's withdrawn at the time it matures and materializes . He says that right now it's not real money. He says it will rise and fall in value many times before it becomes fully mature.

Is he correct that we don't have to pay tithes on it until it is fully mature and withdrawn? I was thinking that we should find the value of what it would be worth if we took the penalty and cashed it in ....and tithe 10% on that value. But he says no because my scenario is a hypothetical because we are not actually cashing it in.

Theres another issue here which is one of submission to my husband. He feels very strongly that we should not tithe on that money until we "realize" that money. He is very firm on this issue so I really don't want to push him. But I also really want to be faithful to God. So this is really stressing me out.

Btw...we will be receiving some cash money when his moms house is sold and the proceeds are divided among the siblings and he does agree that we can tithe on that money. Just not the retirement money until it materializes.

That is the problem with this tithing thing which is not scriptural for the believer. It puts a weight around your neck and puts you into bondage.

The scripture says to give as God has blessed you. It doesn't say give 10% of what God has blessed you with and what you give is based on gross or net is totally irrelevant.

If God gives me a $1000 dollars, I don't give anything if I am facing a bill for $1,100. Paying that bill is your responsibility so it is irresponsible to give anything away unless you have a direct word from God to do so.

I don't tithe. I give as God tells me too, for example, I received a magazine from a Christian Ministry I support in which it said Hindu's had attacked a Christian village in India and burnt all their houses down so they were now living under tarpaulins on the street.

The cost of a new house for them was $1,100 which they did not have. According to tithers, I should have given them $110, but I didn't. God spoke to me and told me to give $1,100 so I filled out my credit card for $1,150 ($50 for card fees) which meant there is a Christian Family that is now living in a house again because I did not give a tenth.

Did that leave me short of money? Who cares. If God told me to give he will take care of my needs. Giving as the Lord directs is much more exciting than giving a tenth. Giving a tenth rarely involves sacrifice.

If you have been given money that has to be put aside and you can't access it, then you haven't got it to spend so it is only yours in theory. If you don't give as a result I can assure you God is not going to run out of money and get all uppity at you.

He gives all things richly to enjoy and if you are not enjoying the money he gives you because of some archaic giving system then there is something wrong.

Upvote 0

Long Island Pilgrim

Site Supporter
Jan 30, 2016
NY
✟67,631.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Thank you Episaw.

Yes...I agree that the bottom line is to do our best to come into alignment with Gods will. It's not about the 10%, as you said. It's about honoring God in the way that we feel called to do. Thank you.

Upvote 0

Strong in Him

Great is thy faithfulness
Site Supporter
Mar 4, 2005
NW England
✟1,054,405.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Is he correct that we don't have to pay tithes on it until it is fully mature and withdrawn?

I don't believe we have to pay tithes at all.

In the OT, the tithe was always food. The only time money was involved was if 10% of their crops were too heavy for them to carry to the temple. Then they sold them, took the money to the temple and bought more food - then they, priests and poor people included, ATE their tithe, as a celebration.
In the NT, the believers gave everything and shared all their possessions - and Paul said that God loves a cheerful giver, not one who gives under compulsion.

If God is directing you to give 10%, give 10%. If he is directing you to give 15%, or 7%, or 25%, or 2%, then give that.

Upvote 0

OSAS 101

May 27, 2013
✟34,288.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Tithing is dead.
You can't find a verse in the Bible that says to tithe.
Jews know the old Testament.
They know you can't tithe.
No Jews tithe anywhere and their temples and synagogues all prosper.

Christianity brought the tithe back, making people feel guilt for not doing it.
The big problem is that many leaders in all denominations actually believe it.
And if they can't solve a simple thing like tithing, then what are they doing in the pulpit.
Churches have large buildings, large tracts of land, lots of activities, and no Sunday School classes.
What happened?
Sounds like the end time church.

Churches push tithing like it's one of the 10 Ten Commandments.

Upvote 0

GodsGrace101

Site Supporter
Apr 17, 2018
Tuscany
✟231,507.00
Country
Italy
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hi Folks,

I agree with post no. 2 and post no. 5.
I also agree with your husband.
In the ot it was required to give a tenth to the Lord. This was in reference to crops.
The tenth wasn't given in seeds, but of the harvest.
You haven't received the harvest of the inheritance yet.

The whole idea of tithing could be debated.
We're to give with a joyful heart...

You're blessed to have a Christian husband that is also smart. Be thankful.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: Episaw
Upvote 0