Addresing Courting/Dating issues

S

seehimcoming

G'day my friends ,

At my youth group , we have an age group of individuals between 14 - 22 , a few of the 18+ people are youth leaders , i am one of them (19). Well we might address the issue of courting/dating at our youth group because it is inevitable that these questions will be popped up by the youth at my group. In my point of view dating/courting can only happen if the couple are mature enough to handle it. A specific age does not define maturity but sometimes it does. I see 16 as a very common age for the issue to pop up. I know a few 18 year old guys who would want to go out with one of the 16 year old girls at my group. Sometimes i find it strange as they have different rights in a society compared to a 16 year old as in voting /drinking. Society defines 16 as the age of consent in Australia. Well I am not sure what i am asking here but i just would like know your views on age gaps , maturity levels or pursuing a healthy christian partner etc etc.. I need to prepare my youth , i am one(youth) too and it is my responsibility as a youth leader to give them healthy advice.I think you get the jist.

Rhododendron

Senior Veteran
Dec 29, 2006
✟18,640.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
G'day my friends ,

At my youth group , we have an age group of individuals between 14 - 22 , a few of the 18+ people are youth leaders , i am one of them (19). Well we might address the issue of courting/dating at our youth group because it is inevitable that these questions will be popped up by the youth at my group. In my point of view dating/courting can only happen if the couple are mature enough to handle it. A specific age does not define maturity but sometimes it does. I see 16 as a very common age for the issue to pop up. I know a few 18 year old guys who would want to go out with one of the 16 year old girls at my group. Sometimes i find it strange as they have different rights in a society compared to a 16 year old as in voting /drinking. Society defines 16 as the age of consent in Australia. Well I am not sure what i am asking here but i just would like know your views on age gaps , maturity levels or pursuing a healthy christian partner etc etc.. I need to prepare my youth , i am one(youth) too and it is my responsibility as a youth leader to give them healthy advice.I think you get the jist.
Are you asking if it's ok at that age? Or what rules should apply while courting? Or other?

Upvote 0
S

seehimcoming

Are you asking if it's ok at that age? Or what rules should apply while courting? Or other?
yes .. they are a part of my thread..

because i had a mate at youth group who just turned 16 and his girl friend is 15. He just reached the age of consent as per society's rules but she is not yet 16. They have been together for about 2 years now and it seem genuine and they are good christians for thier age. Well he could get in trouble with the law cause he is dating someone under the age of consent and it will look bad in society's view even though they are not engaging in anything sexual. They argue that the bible does not define any age. I find it hard to counsel these kids.

Upvote 0

Rhododendron

Senior Veteran
Dec 29, 2006
✟18,640.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Do their parents know? I suggest talking to both of their parents and see what kind of feedback you will get from them. I really don't know how you would concel them. I personally think that's way too young, and would not encourage it. Especially since it may cause some conflict with the others you mentor. Those two might not be good role models (they may be good christians, but not all 14 and 15 year olds are mature) for the others, and may see it as unfair that they are the special exception to the rule.

Upvote 0
S

seehimcoming

Do their parents know? I suggest talking to both of their parents and see what kind of feedback you will get from them. I really don't know how you would concel them. I personally think that's way too young, and would not encourage it. Especially since it may cause some conflict with the others you mentor. Those two might not be good role models (they may be good christians, but not all 14 and 15 year olds are mature) for the others, and may see it as unfair that they are the special exception to the rule.
i'll try that

Upvote 0