biblicalbro

Child of God
Aug 19, 2014
✟29,047.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
I always hear how it is necessary, etc. Especially if you're struggling with an addiction. My question is...

How is this practiced?
How have you practiced it? Has it helped you?
Obviously, we're all accountable to God but how as we as a church be consistently accoutable? I feel like most of the time, we don't because 1) we're ashamed 2) we're stubborn 3) it's frowned upon, 4) trust, etc.

Oftentimes, I've tried to find someone to keep me accountable but they never follow up, leaving me to myself... again.

I just need help in understanding how does it look like and how it's practiced.

yeshuaslavejeff

simple truth, martyr, disciple of Yahshua
Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
QUOTE="biblicalbro, post: 73964330, member: 357285"]I always hear how it is necessary, etc. Especially if you're struggling with an addiction. My question is...

How is this practiced?
Obviously, we're all accountable to God but how as we as a church be consistently accoutable? I feel like most of the time, we don't because 1) we're ashamed 2) we're stubborn 3) it's frowned upon, 4) trust, etc.

Oftentimes, I've tried to find someone to keep me accountable but they never follow up, leaving me to myself... again.

[/QUOTE
=====================================

hmmm..... "How does it look like" is difficult to think about correctly and answer rightly,
because
it seems so rarely possible to find anyone living accountably, or holding anyone else accountable.

Yes, strict discipline is needed (like athlete training - vigorous and daily) ...
yet who does this ?
Yes, some are willing, but have trouble finding someone else to be accountable to.

"Baby steps" ? Get this started with one or more people you're in fellowship with,
and
maintain DISCIPLINED LIFE/ SCHEDULE each day SCRIPTURALLY, not religiously.

It might take many times 'starting', and learning 'on the job', how to do this.

Never give up.

Upvote 0

crossnote

Berean
Site Supporter
May 16, 2010
So. Cal.
✟250,751.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
My first Church experience was with a Church into the Shepherding movement (Prince, Mumford, Bashan etc.) and it smothered you in 'accountability', consequently it left a bad taste in my mouth regarding that concept.

• Informative
Reactions: anna ~ grace
Upvote 0

com7fy8

May 22, 2013
Massachusetts
✟586,575.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
For a while, I thought I was supposed to tell all to everyone, so everyone would see how open and honest I was willing to be, and they would then want to tell me all their personal stuff and I would teach and counsel them. But no one told me everything personal about themselves, and I got pretty unhappy about how no one wanted to be mutual with me telling each other our personal stuff.

So, because I was getting even a little hot under the collar about this, I knew I was wrong, somehow, because I understand that Jesus means for me to be ready to be kind and gentle and patient when people don't give me what I want or feel is right. So, I prayed about this.

And I learned that being honest is not only about telling anyone all the truth about myself; but honesty includes being prayerful about what it is good to tell each person, at any given time, in each relationship. I need to submit to God, and obey how He guides me with each person.

Plus, if my intention is to have close family sharing with others in Jesus for all eternity > what is the hurry? We have all eternity, don't we??? :)

So, instead of only rushing to tell all to each other, take our time to enjoy discovering one another and see how God has our relating develop. The truth is we need to grow and mature in Jesus so we can discover better and better how to relate and what to share.

Reactions: lismore
Upvote 0

com7fy8

May 22, 2013
Massachusetts
✟586,575.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Especially if you're struggling with an addiction.
We were all born in sin; so we all have the same basic problem of sin. And from this we can go in different directions, but the root problem is the same for all of us.

So, I think it can be good for you to share with Christians who do not have substance abuse problems, so that with them you can learn how to deal with the general needs we all have for correction, and feed one another for growing together as family in Jesus. And what you get out of sharing with Christians in general can help you with your specific addiction problem, since it is related to the problems we all have.

The Bible says >

"be content with such things as you have" (in Hebrews 13:5).

But in my opinion every Christian needs to do better about staying unconditionally content; and because each of us can fail in staying unconditionally content, in sharing with God, we get into different sorts of sin problems >

workaholic self abuse,

immoral feelings and drives,

food abuse,

other sorts of substance abuse,

unforgiveness.

But God is able to satisfy us so we are with Him in His almighty power of His love with His soundness, so we do not give in to various things of not being content.

And by sharing with various Christians who are being corrected to be content, they can help you to become content with God so you don't give in to addiction things which would fool and push you to seek relief and satisfaction from a substance. Plus, Christians who have not been addicts have experience with other ways of acting out discontent; so they can help you be wise to other ways of going the wrong way while you are not satisfied.

Plus, while you are getting correction which frees you from addiction, you can help others who are giving in to other sorts of dominating and dragging and nagging stuff.

Upvote 0

Presbyterian Continuist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 28, 2005
Christchurch New Zealand
Visit site
✟833,543.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
My first Church experience was with a Church into the Shepherding movement (Prince, Mumford, Bashan etc.) and it smothered you in 'accountability', consequently it left a bad taste in my mouth regarding that concept.
That is the usual result of a demonic doctrine foisted on to believers by a witchcraft spirit.

Upvote 0

lismore

Maranatha
Oct 28, 2004
Scotland
✟245,440.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

Hello biblicalbro. I think it would work by finding someone, a brother or sister in the Lord that you trust, who is filled with the Holy Spirit and has the best interests of the Kingdom, thereby your best interests at heart. Then to share your struggles together. As the bible says 'Bear each other's burden and thereby fulfill the law of Christ'.

God Bless :)

Upvote 0

Andrew77

The walking accident
Site Supporter
Feb 11, 2018
Ohio
✟138,616.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution
I always hear how it is necessary, etc. Especially if you're struggling with an addiction. My question is...

How is this practiced?

Honestly, I have never understood the theory either. I don't the concept. Am I suppose to puke all over someone, every bad thought I have each day? Who does this? And then what is that guy supposed to do? Come and smack me? Who does that?

I never got it. I just thought the power of the spirit of G-d was supposed to help us overcome the problems in our lives, through prayer and fasting, and confessing, possibly to a pastor.

But accountability partners? Never seen that work.

Upvote 0

quietpraiyze

In The Secret Place
Nov 18, 2011
✟93,590.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
The problem is that so called “accountability” is a man made doctrine. If you're struggling in your walk with Christ then you need to find some MATURE Christens who can disciple you, continue to point you to Christ, walk along side of you, share their lives with you, and encourage you in the Word (written/living).

Our real “accountability” is actually called SUBMISSION to the Lord. If you don't know how to SUBMIT to the Lord, just tell Him what's going on with you and that you are WILLING to do things His way (submit) but you don't know how. Ask Him to show you how. Now this is where the Holy Spirit will lead and guide you, provided you are filled with Him. If not ask the Lord to fill you with the Holy Spirit. I'm not talking about perfection but rather you growing in the Lord.

It's not an overnight thing, but a process called Sanctification. As you walk with the Lord, you should start to see some differences in yourself and in your life...

Upvote 0

biblicalbro

Child of God
Aug 19, 2014
✟29,047.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Hello biblicalbro. I think it would work by finding someone, a brother or sister in the Lord that you trust, who is filled with the Holy Spirit and has the best interests of the Kingdom, thereby your best interests at heart. Then to share your struggles together. As the bible says 'Bear each other's burden and thereby fulfill the law of Christ'.

God Bless :)

Been there. Done that. Every time I tried there’s never any follow up

• Friendly
Reactions: lismore
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Reborn1977

Devoted to Jesus - Less of me MORE of HIM
Site Supporter
Aug 20, 2012
Visit site
✟59,283.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

How is this practiced?

Accountability is vital to godly spiritual health!

How that accountability is played out is between the two people involved, it can differ a great deal.

For those that I mentor, they may be accountable regarding life in general or only in specific areas.

As a person who has known the Lord Jesus since 1997 and been in full-time ministry since 1994 I can tell you that everyone, and I do mean everyone, should have a mentor or someone they are accountable to that can help them on their life and faith journey.

My prayers are with you that you will find the right person.

Upvote 0