✟1,358,720.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Matthew 16:24-27 ESV

“Then Jesus told his disciples, ‘If anyone would come after me, let him deny himself and take up his cross and follow me. For whoever would save his life will lose it, but whoever loses his life for my sake will find it. For what will it profit a man if he gains the whole world and forfeits his soul? Or what shall a man give in return for his soul? For the Son of Man is going to come with his angels in the glory of his Father, and then he will repay each person according to what he has done.’” (cf. Mark 8:34-38; Luke 9:23-26)

If you want to share the message of the gospel of Jesus Christ with anyone, this is the gospel message you should be sharing. For this is the gospel message that Jesus Christ taught and that Paul, John, and Peter taught. In Luke’s recollection of Jesus’ words, we are told to take up our cross “daily” or “every day,” but I believe “daily” is to be understood by the context, anyway. For following Jesus Christ in obedience is not something we do once, but daily. And dying to sin is something we do daily, as well.

“So then, brothers, we are debtors, not to the flesh, to live according to the flesh. For if you live according to the flesh you will die, but if by the Spirit you put to death the deeds of the body, you will live. For all who are led by the Spirit of God are sons of God” (Romans 8:12-14 ESV).

In some more literal translations it says, “putting to death,” meaning that this is a regular ongoing practice of dying to sin daily. But I also believe that “daily” is understood here by the context, for it is talking about how we live, which is what we do daily, in practice. For we are also led by the Spirit, not just once, but daily. And this also is part of the gospel message that if we are living according to the flesh, and not according to the Spirit (in sin and not in obedience to Christ) that we will die in our sins, not have eternal life.

And this is borne out in Jesus’ words as we keep reading. So, in truth, we have to deny self every day, and every day we must be putting sin to death, by the Spirit, and this doesn’t mean giving in to it first, but it means not giving in to the sin but putting it to death every time the temptation arises. And then we must follow Jesus in obedience to his commands under the New Covenant. And in the New Testament we have many commands given to us that we are to be living by, putting off this, and putting on that daily.

See: [Matt 5:27-30; Matt 7:21-23; Rom 1:18-32; Rom 6:1-23; Rom 8:1-14; 1 Co 6:9-10; Gal 5:16-24; Eph 4:17-32; Eph 5:3-6; Col 3:5-11; 1 Thes 4:1-8; 1 Tim 4:7; Titus 2:11-14; Heb 12:1-17; 1 Pet 1:14; 1 Pet 2:24; 1 Jn 1:5-10; 1 Jn 2:3-6; 1 Jn 3:4-10]

And then Matthew continues on and explains to us even further the meaning of this denying of self and dying daily to sin and following Jesus in obedience. If we try to save our own lives, i.e. if we hold on to living in sin and for self, we are going to lose our lives for eternity. But if we lose our lives for Jesus’ sake, i.e. if we die daily to sin and to self and we follow him in obedience, then we will find our lives, and we will have eternal life in Him.

But if we continue living for self and for the sinful pleasures of this world, and if we live to please self and other humans, and not live to please God, and if the world is what we want more than we want God, we will be forfeiting our own souls. For we can’t live worldly lives and godly lives at the same time. We will love one and hate the other. And if the world is what we love, and not God, we don’t have the love of the Father within us. For to love God is to submit to him as Lord, and it is to walk in obedience to him.

And all of what this teaches here is part of the gospel message which we must be giving out to the people. For so many people have made professions of faith in Jesus Christ who are still living for self and in sin, but they are convinced they are saved from their sins and that heaven is guaranteed them when they die. So we need to be those who are telling them the truth so that they will turn from their sins and obey the Lord Jesus. For if they don’t, they need to know that when Jesus returns, he is going to repay us all according to what we have done in this life.

See: [Matt 7:21-23; Lu 9:23-26; Jn 6:35-58; Jn 15:1-11; Rom 1:18-32; Rom 2:6-8; Rom 6:1-23; Rom 8:1-14; 1 Co 6:9-10; 2 Co 5:10; Gal 5:16-21; Gal 6:7-8; Eph 5:3-6; Col 1:21-23; Col 3:5-11; 1 Jn 1:5-10; 1 Jn 2:3-6; 1 Jn 3:4-10; Heb 10:23-31; 1 Co 10:1-22; Heb 3:1-19; Heb 4:1-13; 1 Pet 1:17-21; Rev 21:8,27; Rev 22:14-15]

Songs in the Night

An Original Work / December 18, 2013

“About midnight Paul and Silas were praying and singing hymns to God, and the other prisoners were listening to them.” Acts 16:25 NIV ‘84

Lord, I praise You forevermore.
You, my Savior, I now adore.
Hope in heaven awaiting me,
Because You died at Calvary.

I have been forgiven,
And I’m bound for heaven.
Jesus set me free from
All my sin, I say.
I will praise Him always!

Lord, I love You for all You’ve done:
Overcame death, my vict’ry won!
Jesus saved me, and now I’m free!