according to scripture, is Jesus Christ the promised Messiah?

sparow

Site Supporter
Oct 7, 2014
✟489,164.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
These are some of the reasons Jews reject Jesus being the Messiah.

• Jews don’t believe in the Trinity. There is only One God, not three. The first commandment is to worship only One God; therefore, to believe in Yeshua is idol worship.

• God doesn’t have a son. The virgin birth was a pagan story before the time of Yeshua, and the writers of the New Testament took this story from Greek and Egyptian mythology.

• The Messiah isn’t divine: he is a just a man, and he certainly doesn’t die for one’s sins. We repent for our sins; a man can’t take them away. Only God can take them away.

• Jews believe the Messiah will come once, not twice. He doesn’t come and then return again.

• If Yeshua were the Messiah, then the Jewish People would have recognized him 2000 years ago. Even today, Jewish people do not accept him as Messiah. When the Messiah comes, we will recognize him.

• When the Jewish Messiah comes, there will be peace on earth, and the Lion will lie down with the lamb. Today, there are wars going on all around the world. It is clear the Messiah has not yet come.

Jews should use their own scriptures to test Christ, not Christian doctrine and traditions. How many Christians have tested Christ or how many Atheists have tested Christ?

If I were asked my advice to the Jews would be this:

The New Testament may not be accurate in every aspect, there may be editing and mischief; two thousand years ago the OT was certified valid by the fulfilment of Prophesy in Christ and by the destruction of the temple in 70 AD., and then by the apostles who said all scripture is inspired by God. The NT should always be interpreted to be consistent with and be tested against the OT; the OT is the authority that validates the NT. Most Christians project a false Christ and a false New Covenant.

The Trinity is a forced compromise by a Roman leader on Church fathers who couldn’t agree on a definition of God at the Council of Nicaea, its awesome nature is such that no one can understand it. Allegedly the Trinity is one God that manifests Himself in at least three unique ways. I don’t believe in the doctrinal nonsense of the Trinity but I believe in the Father who is the authority and the son who is the teacher and the Holy Spirit who appears to be God’s communication system.

What do the Jews mean by “God does not have a son”? Daniel is the only OT Prophet to mention “the son of God (son of el-aw or el-o’-ah)”, but “the sons of God” appears seven times in the OT; Gen 6:2; Gen 6:4; Dt 32:8; Job 1:6; Job 2:1; Job 38:7; Ps 82:6.

Ps 82:6 is interesting; Psalm 82:6 (ASV)

6 I said, Ye are gods, And all of you sons of the Most High.

I am not sure who David is referring to, all Israel or only the Judges but David said, ”Yea are all Elohiym”; it was Elohiym who made man in their own image; Moses is referred to in the Talmud as Elohiym Moses.

I view the coming of Christ as a single event; where He is the first and the last to enter life and to borough a Dispensationalism term, with a perceived interval of 2000 years in between; He was cut off in the middle of the week and still has half a week to go.

I believe Jesus should be tested against the OT and Paul also should be tested against the teachings of Christ. Can it be shown that the book of Daniel is false; because this is the only book that places a time table on prophesies. It is Daniel who delivers the ultimatum; Daniel 9:24 (KJV)

24 Seventy weeks are determined upon thy people and upon thy holy city, to finish the transgression, and to make an end of sins, and to make reconciliation for iniquity, and to bring in everlasting righteousness, and to seal up the vision and prophecy, and to anoint the most Holy.

It appears the Jews failed this ultimatum and Jesus said the kingdom of God has been taken from you; the writer of Hebrews said the Law failed not the Jews; it would appear at this time the Jews were not Elohyim.

Useful for testing Jesus:

Messiah in all the scriptures: http://www.thebookwurm.com/amh_tc.htm

Christ in All the Scriptures

by A.M. Hodgkin

II. Christ in the Pentateuch

1. Genesis -- Genesis is in many respects the most important book in the Bible. Almost all the truths of God's revelation are contained here in germ.

''In the beginning God.'' The very first word gives God His right place.

''In the beginning God created the heaven and the earth... And God said-- Let Us make man in Our image, after Our likeness'' (Gen 1:1,26). Here we have the verbs created and said in the singular, the name of God in its plural form-- Elohim-- and the plural pronoun Us. [Compare the following passages:]•''In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. The same was in the beginning with God. All things were made by Him, and without Him was not anything made that was made'' (Joh 1:1-3).

•''The Lord possessed Me in the beginning of His way, before His works of old. I was set up from everlasting from the beginning, or ever [ie., before] the earth was. When He prepared the heavens, I was there... when He appointed the foundations of the earth.'' (Prov 8:22-29).

•''Thou lovedst Me before the foundation of the world,'' Jesus said to His Father when He was about to lay down His life for us (Joh 17:24).

Thus, in the beginning of all things, we see our everlasting Saviour, the Son of God, ''whom He hath appointed heir of all things, by whom also He made the worlds'' (Heb 1:2).

Genesis is ''the book of beginnings,'' as the name implies.1.The beginning of Creation--

The account of creation reveals the unity, power, and personality of God. It denies atheism-- in the beginning God.

It denies polytheism-- one God, not many.

It denies pantheism-- God is before all things and apart from them.

It denies materialism-- matter is not God.

It denies the eternity of matter-- in the beginning God created it.

It denies fatalism-- God, here as everywhere, acts in the freedom of His Eternal Being.

'' 'In the beginning God created the heaven and the earth.' In that simple statement, we have the Bible declaration of the origin of the material universe; and it is one in which faith finds reasonable foundation. Interpretation of method may vary, but the essential truth abides. In its dignified and sublime statement, reason may rest as it cannot possibly do in any theory which leaves God out of the question and then finally declares that the first cause was more or less the result of accident, or the existence of laws without mind, or of order without thought.'' [The Analyzed Bible, G. Campbell Morgan, DD]

''As time goes on and thoughtful men come to know about the truth of this marvellous universe in which we dwell, they approach closer and closer to Moses' record. Never, perhaps in the history of scientific investigation, did Genesis 1 stand out so solidly and triumphantly as now.'' [Outline Studies in the Books of the Old Testament, W.G. Moorehead, DD]

If the harmony is not yet seen to be complete, it is because we have still so much to learn. The theories of Science are continually changing and may clash with Scripture, the ascertained facts never do. In the same way our interpretations of the Bible may clash with Science because we may not interpret it aright, but the Divine record in Scripture will one day be seen to agree absolutely with the Divine record in nature. Meanwhile, it is remarkable how one scientific discovery after another is proving the accuracy of the Scripture statements, clothed as they are in exquisitely simple language...............

These matters cannot be proved in legalist sense but it can be determined certain things are false. The book of Daniel is the only book Christ referred to by name and it is Daniel who establishes Jesus as Messiah. If Christ wasn’t the Messiah then there should be other contenders and there were not any.

LittleLambofJesus

Hebrews 2:14.... Pesky Devil, git!
Site Supporter
May 19, 2015
GOD's country of Texas
Visit site
✟1,237,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
according to scripture, is Jesus Christ the promised Messiah?

Hmmmm.
Do the Jews have any idea when their Messiah is suppose to arrive? I mean, come on, it has been over 2000 yrs now since His prophecied coming.
Just accept Jesus as Lord and Savior and sleep easier at night :bow:

Psa 2:2
Station themselves do kings of the land, And princes have been united together, Against YAHWEH, and against His Messiah:

Jhn 4:
25 The woman saith to him, 'I have known that Messiah doth come, who is called Christ, when that one may come, he will tell us all things;'
26 Jesus saith to her, 'I am he, who am speaking to thee.'

Mat 27:
20 And the chief priests and the elders did persuade the multitudes that they might ask for themselves Barabbas, and might destroy Jesus;
22 Pilate saith to them, 'What then shall I do with Jesus who is called Christ?' They all say to him, 'Let be crucified!'

25 and all the people answering said, 'His blood is upon us, and upon our children!'

http://www.bible.ca/pre-destruction70AD-george-holford-1805AD.htm
The Destruction Of JERUSALEM
An Absolute and Irresistible PROOF OF THE DIVINE ORIGIN OF CHRISTIANITY:

The day on which Titus encompassed Jerusalem, was the feast of the Passover ; and it is deserving of the very particular attention of the reader, that this was the anniversary of that memorable period in which the Jews crucified their Messiah! At this season multitudes came up from all the surrounding country, and from distant parts, to keep the festival. How suitable and how kind, then, was the prophetic admonition of our LORD, and how clearly he into futurity when he said "Let not them that are in the countries enter into Jerusalem." Luke xxi. 21...............

For five days after the destruction of the Temple, the priests who had escaped, sat, pining with hunger, on the top of one of its broken walls; at length, they came down, and humbly asked the pardon of Titus, which, however, he refused to grant them, saying, that, "as the Temple, for the sake of which he would have spared them, was destroyed, it was but fit that its priests should parish also:" -whereupon he commanded that they should be put to death.

Upvote 0

peepnklown

rabbi peepnklown
Jun 17, 2005
California
Visit site
✟23,364.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Libertarian
Some not-Gnostics have a good knowledge of scripture. do you have a scriptural reason for saying no?

If you only knew; an old forum buddy BourdonFromHeaven used to joke I knew the Hebrew Bible well enough to be a Rabbi but, I ramble. Let’s take a short road trip for now!

Let’s make this simple. The Hebrew Bible outlines specific requirements to identify The Moshiach (The Messiah).
Please do not confuse this with the other anointed ones but, that is another topic for another time.
So, again, the Hebrew Bible outlines specific requirements to identify The Moshiach (The Messiah).

If Jesus does not meet all the requirements then guess what, he cannot be The Moshiach (The Messiah) of the Hebrew Bible.
The Moshiach (The Messiah) must be a direct biological descendant (passed solely by a father to his sons) of King David through King Solomon: Isaiah 11:1, 2 Samuel 7:12-16 and 1 Chronicles 22:8-10.
Jesus already fails this requirement. Done.

You don’t believe me? Jesus had no earthly father thus he cannot be a direct biological descendant of King David through King Solomon. If you want to dive deeper into the subject we can talk about the genealogies provided by the Gospels which show even if Jesus had an earthly father Matthew includes Jaconiah who was cursed and none of his line were allowed to sit on the throne and Luke is no better having Jesus’s line go through Nathan and not Solomon.
Jesus already fails this requirement. Period.

Upvote 0

peepnklown

rabbi peepnklown
Jun 17, 2005
California
Visit site
✟23,364.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Libertarian

Well my friend, who knows? Nobody so far has met the requirements clearly outlined in the Hebrew Bible.
If the ‘Jews’ accept Jesus as their Moshiach then the Hebrew Bible becomes invalid, eh?
The God of the Hebrew Bible provided an outline and the outline has not been completed by a Jewish leader.

Upvote 0

sparow

Site Supporter
Oct 7, 2014
✟489,164.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
If you only knew; an old forum buddy BourdonFromHeaven used to joke I knew the Hebrew Bible well enough to be a Rabbi but, I ramble. Let’s take a short road trip for now!

Let’s make this simple. The Hebrew Bible outlines specific requirements to identify The Moshiach (The Messiah).
Please do not confuse this with the other anointed ones but, that is another topic for another time.
So, again, the Hebrew Bible outlines specific requirements to identify The Moshiach (The Messiah).

If Jesus does not meet all the requirements then guess what, he cannot be The Moshiach (The Messiah) of the Hebrew Bible.
The Moshiach (The Messiah) must be a direct biological descendant (passed solely by a father to his sons) of King David through King Solomon: Isaiah 11:1, 2 Samuel 7:12-16 and 1 Chronicles 22:8-10.
Jesus already fails this requirement. Done.

You don’t believe me? Jesus had no earthly father thus he cannot be a direct biological descendant of King David through King Solomon. If you want to dive deeper into the subject we can talk about the genealogies provided by the Gospels which show even if Jesus had an earthly father Matthew includes Jaconiah who was cursed and none of his line were allowed to sit on the throne and Luke is no better having Jesus’s line go through Nathan and not Solomon.
Jesus already fails this requirement. Period.

There is nothing in the scriptures you quote that prohibits a supernatural birth with God as the Father, Jesus clearly calls God His father.

Reading Isaiah the virgin birth was to be a sign.

Isaiah 7:14 (KJV)

14 Therefore the Lord himself shall give you a sign; Behold, a virgin shall conceive, and bear a son, and shall call his name Immanuel.

The name “Jaconiah” does not appear in any of the Bibles or lineages of Christ that I have.

Upvote 0

sparow

Site Supporter
Oct 7, 2014
✟489,164.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Well my friend, who knows? Nobody so far has met the requirements clearly outlined in the Hebrew Bible.
If the ‘Jews’ accept Jesus as their Moshiach then the Hebrew Bible becomes invalid, eh?
The God of the Hebrew Bible provided an outline and the outline has not been completed by a Jewish leader.

I believe you are mistaken. Accepting Christ shouldn't render the Bible invalid it should only render your peculiar interpretation of scripture invalid.

Upvote 0

peepnklown

rabbi peepnklown
Jun 17, 2005
California
Visit site
✟23,364.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Libertarian
I believe you are mistaken. Accepting Christ shouldn't render the Bible invalid it should only render your peculiar interpretation of scripture invalid.
This has nothing to do with accepting Jesus in the Christian view.

This has everything to do with accepting if Jesus met the requirements of the Jewish Moshiach (Messiah).
It’s not about interpretation. The Hebrew Bible makes it very clear the requirements of the Jewish Moshiah (Messiah).
For example, Jeremiah 23:5 makes it clear, he will be a direct biological descendant of David and a literal king or at least a great Jewish political leader.

Upvote 0

peepnklown

rabbi peepnklown
Jun 17, 2005
California
Visit site
✟23,364.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Libertarian
There is nothing in the scriptures you quote that prohibits a supernatural birth with God as the Father, Jesus clearly calls God His father.

It’s really sad but the problem with most Christians is they do not study the Hebrew of the Hebrew Bible nor do they study the historical culture of the time nor the historical context.

Jeremiah 23:5-6 makes it clear; he will be a direct biological descendant of David.
Tribal affiliation is through the birth father only (Numbers 34:14). This isn’t the only verse to say this.
Isaiah 11:1-9, Jeremiah 30:7-10, Jeremiah 33:14-16, Ezekiel 34:11-31, etc, etc, etc.
They all speak of a direct descendant of David.
Where does it say the Jewish Moshiach will be the son of God the father? Nowhere!
This is just one aspect. The Jewish Moshiach will rebuild the Temple and re-establish its worship (Jeremiah 33:18).
This did not happen either.
The Hebrew Bible provides requirements. Jesus did not meet the requirements.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

peepnklown

rabbi peepnklown
Jun 17, 2005
California
Visit site
✟23,364.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Libertarian
Reading Isaiah the virgin birth was to be a sign. Isaiah 7:14 (KJV)

The author/s of Isaiah is referring to a sign to King Ahaz.

[The sign was to reassure King Ahaz that God would protect him and his kingdom from the warring kingdoms of Israel in the North and the Syria]. A sign that Jesus would be born 5 centuries later does King Ahaz no good.

Isaiah 7:16: “Yea, before the child shall know to refuse the evil, and choose the good, the land whose two kings thou hast a horror of shall be forsaken.” The crisis will be resolved right after the birth of the child and ‘evil’ is a sign for the age of the child when this event will occur. The Greek Scriptures never reference this point.

The Hebrew word for virgin is bethuwlah. It is used some 38 times as compared to the lone time the word almah is used in Isaiah 7:14 for virgin. Isaiah [author/s] used bethuwlah for virgin in 23:4, 23:12, 37:22, 47:1, and 62:5.

It seems the writer/s had no problem using the word when he wished to emphasize the term virgin.

When you look at the Hebrew in Isaiah 7:14 the author places emphasis that the women is already pregnant and the prophecy will come soon.

Supplementary: In 7:14 Isaiah used the word, “almah.” Isaiah had already used bethulah to specifically pointer, a virgin 5 other times yet decided to use almah only once to marker a virgin? No, Isaiah used the correct term for 7:14, a young woman. Now, most young women are virgins, but not all virgins are young women thus bethulah is not completely synonymous with almah.
Genesis 24:43, Exodus 2:8, Psalms 68:25, Song of Solomon 1:3, Song of Solomon 6:8 all use almah to refer to a young women, and maidens.

Upvote 0

LittleLambofJesus

Site Supporter
May 19, 2015
GOD's country of Texas
Visit site
✟1,237,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
The author/s of Isaiah is referring to a sign to King Ahaz.
What is your view on Isaiah 53?
[this thread was created back in Aug 2007 by a member of the Judaism religion] which I participated in:

http://www.christianforums.com/threads/isaiah-53-a-contextual-discussion.5858522/
Isaiah 53: A Contextual Discussion

I had written this some time ago, and I'll let it be part of the OP again:

As we look at the book of Isaiah, we should first make mention of the fact that the division of the Bible into chapters and verses is only for finding; not for determining theology................

So, we see from nine occasions outside of Isaiah 52-53 that Israel/Jacob is referred to as the "Servant". This is the context of the passage that proceeds. Does it not stand to reason that all situations are synonymous? The similarities, not only in grammar, but also in detail are very interesting between the Jeremiah passage and the Isaiah passage.
Another key note of interest in this entire passage, and all that have been expressed is that there is a complete absence of "Messiah". There is no inference; nor overt statement regarding these passages as being Messianic.

The following conclusions can be made from what has been expressed above:

1) Contextually, the "Servant" is Israel/Jacob.
2) These passages are not Messianic.

The following is provided by an acquaintance of mine the delves into the surrounding context as well:

This opens up the surrounding context of Isaiah 53. After this topic has been exhausted, we can discuss the internal context.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

peepnklown

rabbi peepnklown
Jun 17, 2005
California
Visit site
✟23,364.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Libertarian
The name “Jaconiah” does not appear in any of the Bibles or lineages of Christ that I have.
Let’s look at Matthew’s genealogy and who do we see? Jeconiah (Typo).

Upvote 0

LittleLambofJesus

Site Supporter
May 19, 2015
GOD's country of Texas
Visit site
✟1,237,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
Oo! My old friend muffler dragon! I assume we have similar thoughts on this subject.
Yeah...he was an old timer on here. Gave the Christians a run for their money ehehe

muffler dragon was last seen:
Aug 31, 2014

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

sparow

Site Supporter
Oct 7, 2014
✟489,164.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
This has nothing to do with accepting Jesus in the Christian view.

This has everything to do with accepting if Jesus met the requirements of the Jewish Moshiach (Messiah).
It’s not about interpretation. The Hebrew Bible makes it very clear the requirements of the Jewish Moshiah (Messiah).
For example, Jeremiah 23:5 makes it clear, he will be a direct biological descendant of David and a literal king or at least a great Jewish political leader.

Whether Christ is the fulfilment of prophesy has nothing to do with Christian view. Christ had to fulfil prophesy; the requirements that you are citing are not scriptural; there is nothing in Jeremiah 23:5 that supports your view only your peculiar interpretation based on assumption. To be a biological descendant of David would only require Mary be a descendant of David and I believe she was.

You shouldn't make your assessments of Christ based on the mess Christians have made. Jesus is still in the process of meeting the requirements but not your requirements; Jesus lives like His father before Him and is the High Priest of the New covenant and is still in the process of meeting the requirements. Jesus was cut-off in the middle of the week of making the New Covenant; there is still three and a half years of making the covenant to go; but we know that legally, the New Covenant is identical to the old covenant.

One of the prophesies that Jesus fulfils is being the stumbling block Isaiah spoke of but it is not the person who is the stumbling block it is the Law stretched tight. Law is synonymous with Covenant and when Jesus returns He will accuse and reject people on the Basis of being Lawless.

This seems to be interesting:
Matthew 1:17 (KJV)
17 So all the generations from Abraham to David are fourteen generations; and from David until the carrying away into Babylon are fourteen generations; and from the carrying away into Babylon unto Christ are fourteen generations.

Upvote 0

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟732,307.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
"The beginning of the good news of Jesus Christ, the Son of God." - Mark 1:1

So as to the question of does Scripture say Jesus is the promised Messiah, well considering that Jesus is consistently called "Jesus Christ" throughout the New Testament I think the answer is yes.

If the question is does what Christians call the Old Testament say Jesus is the Messiah, well, that's a bit open for debate. Christians have historically read this collection of Scriptures as pointing us to Jesus as the Christ--implicitly if not explicitly.

Judaism, rather obviously, disagrees.

Jews and Christians aren't going to be coming to an agreement anytime soon.

-CryptoLutheran

Upvote 0

LittleLambofJesus

Site Supporter
May 19, 2015
GOD's country of Texas
Visit site
✟1,237,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
sparow said:
Let’s look at Matthew’s genealogy and who do we see? Jeconiah (Typo).
Interesting character:

http://biblehub.com/topical/j/jeconiah.htm

Thesaurus
Jeconiah (9 Occurrences)
...JECONIAH. jek-o-ni'-a. See JEHOIACHIN. ...
Jeconiah
(9 Occurrences).

Bible Concordance

Jeconiah
(9 Occurrences)
Matthew 1:11 Josiah of Jeconiah and his brothers at the period of the Removal to Babylon.
(WEY YLT NAS NIV)

Matthew 1:12 After the Removal to Babylon Jeconiah had a son Shealtiel; Shealtiel was the father of Zerubbabel;
(WEY YLT NAS NIV)

1 Chronicles 3:16 The sons of Jehoiakim: Jeconiah his son, Zedekiah his son.
(WEB KJV JPS ASV BBE DBY WBS YLT NAS)

1 Chronicles 3:17 The sons of Jeconiah, the captive: Shealtiel his son,

Esther 2:6 who had been carried away from Jerusalem with the captives who had been carried away with Jeconiah king of Judah, whom Nebuchadnezzar the king of Babylon had carried away.

Jeremiah 24:1 Yahweh showed me, and behold, two baskets of figs set before the temple of Yahweh, after that Nebuchadnezzar king of Babylon had carried away captive Jeconiah the son of Jehoiakim, king of Judah, and the princes of Judah, with the craftsmen and smiths, from Jerusalem, and had brought them to Babylon.

Jeremiah 27:20 which Nebuchadnezzar king of Babylon didn't take, when he carried away captive Jeconiah the son of Jehoiakim, king of Judah, from Jerusalem to Babylon, and all the nobles of Judah and Jerusalem;

Last edited:
Reactions: brinny
Upvote 0

brinny

everlovin' shiner of light in dark places
Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,343,306.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
Interesting character:

http://biblehub.com/topical/j/jeconiah.htm

Thesaurus
Jeconiah (9 Occurrences)
...JECONIAH. jek-o-ni'-a. See JEHOIACHIN. ...
Jeconiah
(9 Occurrences).

Bible Concordance

Jeconiah (9 Occurrences)
Matthew 1:11 Josiah of Jeconiah and his brothers at the period of the Removal to Babylon.
(WEY YLT NAS NIV)

Matthew 1:12 After the Removal to Babylon Jeconiah had a son Shealtiel; Shealtiel was the father of Zerubbabel;
(WEY YLT NAS NIV)

1 Chronicles 3:16 The sons of Jehoiakim: Jeconiah his son, Zedekiah his son.

1 Chronicles 3:17 The sons of Jeconiah, the captive: Shealtiel his son,

Esther 2:6 who had been carried away from Jerusalem with the captives who had been carried away with Jeconiah king of Judah, whom Nebuchadnezzar the king of Babylon had carried away.

Jeremiah 24:1 Yahweh showed me, and behold, two baskets of figs set before the temple of Yahweh, after that Nebuchadnezzar king of Babylon had carried away captive Jeconiah the son of Jehoiakim, king of Judah, and the princes of Judah, with the craftsmen and smiths, from Jerusalem, and had brought them to Babylon.

Jeremiah 27:20 which Nebuchadnezzar king of Babylon didn't take, when he carried away captive Jeconiah the son of Jehoiakim, king of Judah, from Jerusalem to Babylon, and all the nobles of Judah and Jerusalem;

whoa! that's most interesting...i had never heard of Jeconiah....

Upvote 0

LittleLambofJesus

Site Supporter
May 19, 2015
GOD's country of Texas
Visit site
✟1,237,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
whoa! that's most interesting...i had never heard of Jeconiah....
Yeah that is an interesting study, especially the "curse on Jeconiah" which confounds the Jews [and a lot of Christians] to this very day IMHO.......

Here is a rather lengthy commentary on this site concerning that:

http://www.jewsforjesus.org/answers/prophecy/jeconiah

The Problem of the Curse on Jeconiah in Relation to the Genealogy of Jesus

The problem can be laid out in this way:

According to the genealogy in Matthew 1:12, Jesus is a descendant of Jeconiah. But Jeconiah was cursed in Jeremiah 22:24 and 22:30:

Since no descendant of Jeconiah could ever sit on the throne, if Jesus is a descendant of this cursed king, he is disqualified from being the Messiah.

If true, then what is Jeconiah doing in the genealogy of Jesus in Matthew's gospel? And how can Jesus qualify to be the Messiah? First of all, we have to wonder why Matthew would ever have included Jeconiah among the ancestors of Jesus if this so obviously disqualified Jesus from being the Messiah. In fact, the Scripture shows that the curse was only short-term, if not altogether reversed by God.

There are three parts to the curse on Jeconiah (who is also called Jehoiachin or Coniah):

• that he would be childless (this is how the Hebrew text literally reads)
  • that he would not prosper in his lifetime
  • that none of his descendants would rule in Judah

Though Zerubbabel did not sit on the throne as king, the fact that Haggai 2:23 uses the same terminology as Jeremiah 22:24 shows that Haggai intended to indicate a reversal of the curse.

30 Thus says the Lord:
“Write this man down as
schildless, a man who shall not succeed in his days,

for none of his offspring shall succeedin sitting on the throne of David and ruling again in Judah.”

We have to conclude that in Jeremiah 22:30, "in his lifetime" qualifies the following phrases, and "for" explains that no descendant of his will prosper and rule during his lifetime.

We find rabbinic sources which also agree that God reversed the curse on Jeconiah, which they attribute to repentance on Jeconiah's part. We even find the idea that the Messiah will descend from Jeconiah--exactly the opposite of what some say is impossible! Some of these sources are as follows:

1. Sources stating that Jeconiah repented and so God reversed the curse........................

Last edited:
Reactions: brinny
Upvote 0