• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

abusive family members

Jan 27, 2013
Connecticut
✟15,604.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Merry Christmas all. i need help. i am a recovering addict/alcoholic and in a program in my local baptist church. since i was a teen i have been verbally and emotionally abused by my mother and sister. unmercifully. i thought that behavior would stop when i moved out but not so. it continued. i will be forty soon and it is relentless. they deliberately hurt as much as possible with name calling and insults and put downs. i learned they are displaying controlling/codependent behavior and have since drawn lines in the sand and taken a stand for myself. heres my issue. i am bitter now. and really angry. in the past 3 weeks i have had incidences with the both of them and it has been "the final straw". normally as soon as the next day comes i am over it and forget about it. this time is very different. i am angry and bitter and not feeling my normal forgiving self. sis has kids. they have basically held them up and villified me for "targeting the innocent children". i have no desire to have a relationship with my sis or controlling mom. and i now feel bitter and guilty and i dont know what to think anymore. they have no respect for my recovery, as they drink and smoke all sorts of things right in front of me. am i supposed to stay in their lives simply because of the children? despite my triggers? despite the blatant and habitual abuse? i can forgive. what i do not want to do is have a relationship with them anymore. i dont want to draw near or be close....... what do i do? anyone have wisdom to share?

HannahT

Site Supporter
Apr 9, 2013
✟459,470.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
There is nothing wrong with keeping your distance. At times anger is a healthy thing because your body is telling you something. It gets bad when you marinate in it. Your family will not appreciate the boundaries, but that doesn't mean you shouldn't have them.

Sounds like what you are feeling is normal.

Upvote 0
Jan 27, 2013
Connecticut
✟15,604.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
thank you for your response hannaht. my substance abuse counselor just gave me a book titled Bitterness: A place of no grace. and i have been praying that no matter what, that i dont end up there! i have prayed and considered what you have said, as my counselor reiterated that to me also....

Upvote 0