✟18,148.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
BlessedMan said:
So after hearing about him being in different locations several dozen times and missing him each time, you'd expect the military to put a mission together putting many soldiers in grave danger which would take too long resulting in his escape again? Just to have him on trial and make a fool of himself like Saddam is doing? Bombing him was the way to go for sure.

How about cutting me some slack first of all? I already said it was a dumb question, but it was a sincere one at that. Geez.

Upvote 0

Douger

Veteran
Oct 2, 2004
✟165,821.00
Faith
Christian
Sometimes bad people have to get killed so good people can live. Hopefully that's what happened here.
I don't think I'd ever have the faith to call a shot like that though. The U.S. military has been pretty inept at that too. Maybe they do kill a truly bad man once in awhile but only after killing so many more innocent people.

Upvote 0

Heiroglyph

Jan 6, 2005
✟7,492.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Any time you bomb buildings innocent people die and apparently this time a woman and child were also killed.
Gen. Caldwell said there was "100 percent confirmation" that Zarqawi was in the house prior to the attack. He added that six other people were killed in the attack, including one woman and one child.
It's awful funny how our government, not just them but most people in this country and on this forum have no problem with blowing up children with bombs yet get really mad at the thought of pedophiles fondling them. No one who cares about children is going to be smiling over that.
Im not going to celebrate when a kid was blown up like that. That's what I call a loss not a victory.

Reactions: Eryk
Upvote 0

KarateCowboy

Classical liberal
Site Supporter
Aug 6, 2004
✟140,932.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Croc said:
Any time you bomb buildings innocent people die and apparently this time a woman and child were also killed.
It's awful funny how our government, not just them but most people in this country and on this forum have no problem with blowing up children with bombs yet get really mad at the thought of pedophiles fondling them. No one who cares about children is going to be smiling over that.
Im not going to celebrate when a kid was blown up like that. That's what I call a loss not a victory.

It's obvious that we're not happy about that. Duh. We're happy that Zarqawi won't be intentionally killing children any more.

Upvote 0

simplicity

incredibly ordinary member
Jun 29, 2002
Toronto
Visit site
✟3,507.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
CA-Conservatives
This was a very dangerous, violent and likely demented individual whose life was dedicated to terror and death. I can only wish him an expeditious journey to his true master in the fiery world below. Although gone he still creeps me out.

Upvote 0

Yusuf Evans

Aug 17, 2005
Iraq
✟13,433.00
Faith
Muslim
Marital Status
Married
Croc said:

It's sad that innnocents died, but it's the nature of war. BTW, this guy helped recruit children to blow themselves up for their cause in the name of Islam, so you might want to think about who you support.

Reactions: Ginny
Upvote 0

Ginny

I like to whisper, too!
Feb 22, 2005
here
✟18,148.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Confirmation on Web Sites

A Web site used by al Qaeda in Iraq confirmed al-Zarqawi's death and urged its followers to continue the insurgent fight. (Watch how al-Zarqawi's kin feel about his death -- :20)
Another Web site used by the group issued a statement: "People of Islam, God will not let our enemies celebrate and spread corruption in the ground. Expect the right that was stolen to come back to us and destroy the Crusaders" -- an apparent reference to U.S. troops in Iraq.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

KarateCowboy

Classical liberal
Site Supporter
Aug 6, 2004
✟140,932.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Ginny said:
Confirmation on Web Sites

A Web site used by al Qaeda in Iraq confirmed al-Zarqawi's death and urged its followers to continue the insurgent fight. (Watch how al-Zarqawi's kin feel about his death -- :20)
Another Web site used by the group issued a statement: "People of Islam, God will not let our enemies celebrate and spread corruption in the ground. Expect the right that was stolen to come back to us and destroy the Crusaders" -- an apparent reference to U.S. troops in Iraq.

Terrorists and religious radicals don't need to be given a reason to kill. They will find one no matter what. Even if we stopped fighting and all went over there to give them hugs they would just try and blow us up.

Upvote 0

Zippythepinhead

Contributor
Jan 5, 2005
Utah
✟6,492.00
Faith
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Douger said:
Sometimes bad people have to get killed so good people can live. Hopefully that's what happened here.
I don't think I'd ever have the faith to call a shot like that though. The U.S. military has been pretty inept at that too. Maybe they do kill a truly bad man once in awhile but only after killing so many more innocent people.
The military have done a fine job. It is because of the men and women of the U.S. military that Zarqawi, the Hussein boys, and other terrorists are dead. There is no doubt that innocent people die in this war. But compared to other wars the casualties are light. There is no perfect way to fight a war. To condemn the US military as I feel you have, is in my mind, is truly truly a sad thing.

Reactions: BarbB
Upvote 0

Zippythepinhead

Contributor
Jan 5, 2005
Utah
✟6,492.00
Faith
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Croc said:
Please sir if I ever need my nation to be defended. Don't sign up. It is better that way:doh:

Upvote 0

Heiroglyph

Jan 6, 2005
✟7,492.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Zippythepinhead said:
Please sir if I ever need my nation to be defended. Don't sign up. It is better that way:doh:
Yeh, so you think it's great for our military to go around shooting, blowing up and beating children to death. Hey as long as the mission is accomplished right? Whatever they gotta do to keep the locals in check. So what if we kill more kids than AlQaeda WERE THE GOOD GUYS

Upvote 0

Yusuf Evans

Aug 17, 2005
Iraq
✟13,433.00
Faith
Muslim
Marital Status
Married
Jacque said:
Terrorists and religious radicals don't need to be given a reason to kill. They will find one no matter what. Even if we stopped fighting and all went over there to give them hugs they would just try and blow us up.

See the attempt on pacifist Canada:idea:

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Yusuf Evans

Aug 17, 2005
Iraq
✟13,433.00
Faith
Muslim
Marital Status
Married
Croc said:
Yeh, so you think it's great for our military to go around shooting, blowing up and beating children to death. Hey as long as the mission is accomplished right? Whatever they gotta do to keep the locals in check. So what if we kill more kids than AlQaeda WERE THE GOOD GUYS

Obviously, you have never served in a combat area. :(

Upvote 0

jlujan69

Jul 28, 2004
United States
✟5,360.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Croc said:

It's a giant assumption on your part that the US military wanted to kill innocents on their way to getting Zaqawi. Also, you might want to consider why that woman was there with her child in the first place. Was she supporting Zaqawi? If she was not and he deliberately hid out there, what's that say about his character? He's just as willing to put innocents in danger. This is not Ward and June Cleaver land. We can't always assume that the "women and children" are innocent. Now, I'll agree that in many cases children are doing something against their will, but if their doing so puts my people in danger, then what choice is there? Only in Hollywood does the good cop take the perfect shot and only in Hollywood does the good soldier have perfect knowledge or instincts of the situation at hand and act in a perfect manner. Reality is not like that! Many times we have to act on the best information available. That information doesn't always turn out to be as accurate as we'd prefer, yet if we wait for better information, it may never come. Do you suggest for one second that we should have waited for Zaqawi to separate himself from innocents before we pulled the trigger? I hope not.

My "trick thumb" is telling me your response is more visceral at this point than rational. That's only natural since you would not be the only one guilty of this. Most on this thread are as well, yours truly included.

Upvote 0

TerabyTe

Senior Veteran
Apr 11, 2004
Pennsylvania
Visit site
✟18,329.00
Faith
Christian
Well, you could call this good news, but it's not going to end the violence in Iraq, not at all. There will still be plenty of people dying there from violence all the time. If only we could find a real solution(of course, one would have been for us to never have invaded in the first place, but there's nothing we can do about that now, so we have to think of a way to fix the country).

Upvote 0

Heiroglyph

Jan 6, 2005
✟7,492.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
jlujan69 said:
It's a giant assumption on your part that the US military wanted to kill innocents on their way to getting Zaqawi. Also, you might want to consider why that woman was there with her child in the first place. Was she supporting Zaqawi? If she was not and he deliberately hid out there, what's that say about his character? He's just as willing to put innocents in danger. This is not Ward and June Cleaver land. We can't always assume that the "women and children" are innocent. Now, I'll agree that in many cases children are doing something against their will, but if their doing so puts my people in danger, then what choice is there? Only in Hollywood does the good cop take the perfect shot and only in Hollywood does the good soldier have perfect knowledge or instincts of the situation at hand and act in a perfect manner. Reality is not like that! Many times we have to act on the best information available. That information doesn't always turn out to be as accurate as we'd prefer, yet if we wait for better information, it may never come. Do you suggest for one second that we should have waited for Zaqawi to separate himself from innocents before we pulled the trigger? I hope not.

My "trick thumb" is telling me your response is more visceral at this point than rational. That's only natural since you would not be the only one guilty of this. Most on this thread are as well, yours truly included.
You're right, the military can't be over there doing what it is doing and not kill innocent civilians. Yes Im saying it is absolutely immoral to drop bombs on buildings without knowing exactly who is in there. There are other methods that could have been employed. Paratroopers could be dropped as easily as bombs, to go in there and arrest him. SInce bombing always kills innocent civilians, it is always immoral to do it.

Upvote 0

jlujan69

Jul 28, 2004
United States
✟5,360.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Croc said:
You're right, the military can't be over there doing what it is doing and not kill innocent civilians. Yes Im saying it is absolutely immoral to drop bombs on buildings without knowing exactly who is in there. There are other methods that could have been employed. Paratroopers could be dropped as easily as bombs, to go in there and arrest him. SInce bombing always kills innocent civilians, it is always immoral to do it.

If only circumstances in life (and war) always permitted us to make the ideal choice and still accomplish "the mission". They don't. I'd never revel in an innocent's death, nor would most on these boards (I hope). What you're expressing is an ideal and one which I agree with, but I also recognize that we can't always follow the ideal path without sacrificing the greater good. Now, we're entering philosophical territory.

Upvote 0