Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
How about creating a debate subforum?

Da Rules said:
All core forum rules apply.​

[wiki]Wiki: Christian Forums Rules[/wiki]​

[h3]OBOB Subforum Rules[/h3]
Welcome to the One Bread, One Body - Catholic Forum. This is the place to discuss issues and topics related to the Catholic Church.​

The Catholic Church is comprised of all Christians and churches who are united in full communion with His Holiness, Pope Benedict XVI.​

1. This forum is open to those who accept all the teachings of the Church as well as those who are struggling with some of them. It is hoped that through dialogue, both sides can learn from each other and grow to better understand the truths of our beautiful faith.​
  2. Non-Catholics are also welcome to join us in fellowship. They are encouraged to ask questions. Non-Catholics may even participate in the debate subforum.​
  3. Debate among Catholic brothers and sisters is allowed and encouraged as long as it is done respectfully. If debates involve posting views that are contrary to the teachings of the Church, such debates should be moved to the debate subforum.​
  4. Promoting views contrary to the teachings of the Church in the main part of OBOB is strictly prohibited. Threads that dissent from Church teachings are seperated from the main part of OBOB to respect the rights of those who do not wish to read them.​
  5. Should a conflict arise of a doctrinal nature outside the debate subforum mentioned above, the Holy Scriptures together with the Catechism of the Catholic Church is considered the standard of faith expected from our Catholic members.​
  6. Due charity and respect must be shown to those of other faiths. Disagreement with other belief systems is to be expressed in a charitable manner. For instance, posting "I disagree with Protestant doctrines because..." is permitted. Posting "Protestant churches are demonic cults" is not permitted. Honey wins more bees than vinegar.​
  7. There is to be no irrational liturgical prejudice. Whether a person attends the Ordinary or Extraordinary form of the Latin rite, or perhaps even an Eastern rite, their liturgy must be acknowledged as fully Catholic and of equal dignity with all other Catholic rites. However, liturgical preferences may be expressed, but only in a charitable manner.​

Upvote 0

Miss Shelby

Legend
Feb 10, 2002
✟88,638.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Also- my understanding is that regular trolling rules apply from the general rules.
obstinate, repeated refusal to accept Church teaching by Catholic posters = trolling. It's never been enforced in here. I don't think he's being obtuse.

Upvote 0

SaintGeorge

Senior Veteran
Jul 18, 2004
✟19,750.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
What about an outsider who doesn't know what Church teaching is?

They ask a question in the main part of OBOB. Also, a link to the catechism and a short summary of official Church teachings could be stickied at the top of the debate subforum.

Upvote 0
R

RoseofLima

obstinate, repeated refusal to accept Church teaching by Catholic posters = trolling. It's never been enforced in here. I don't think he's being obtuse.
I guess I was thinking of someone whose sole purpose of posting was to stir up a debate. That they were really trolling, as opposed to mods or whoever determining their fidelity- to indicate whether or not hey are an acceptable member of the family to have around.

Like I wrote- it very well could be me having difficulty understanding his tone!!

Upvote 0

Miss Shelby

Legend
Feb 10, 2002
✟88,638.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
I guess I was thinking of someone whose sole purpose of posting was to stir up a debate. That they were really trolling, as opposed to mods or whoever determining their fidelity- to indicate whether or not hey are an acceptable member of the family to have around.

Here's what he said:
nyj said:
I believe however that Rose doesn't think we should even do anything about the trolls, who have been presented with authentic Catholic teaching 20 different times and say that they don't care.
Seems clear enough to me.

Upvote 0

nyj

Goodbye, my puppy
Feb 5, 2002
USA
Visit site
✟39,238.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
I guess I don't see why people just can seek to exercise prudence and no longer respond after they have responded in charity. Why does that insistent poster need to be forbidden from posting??
If I don't like the message you speak in my house, I should have the right to tell you to leave, or at the very least ... not speak that particular message.

The first time you speak it, I'm apt to discuss it with you and point out where I feel your errors are. The second, third and maybe even fourth times, well I can chalk that up to the fact that some things are hard to grasp and/or accept. But there comes a time when you either say you don't care, or you refuse to accept my point of view, or continually harp on the matter, that I should have the option to cut bait and ask you to leave off with that particular issue.

Upvote 0
Jun 26, 2003
Visit site
✟258,241.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
If I don't like the message you speak in my house, I should have the right to tell you to leave, or at the very least ... not speak that particular message.

The first time you speak it, I'm apt to discuss it with you and point out where I feel your errors are. The second, third and maybe even fourth times, well I can chalk that up to the fact that some things are hard to grasp and/or accept. But there comes a time when you either say you don't care, or you refuse to accept my point of view, or continually harp on the matter, that I should have the option to cut bait and ask you to leave off with that particular issue.
but what if the house belongs to more than just you?
You have the choice to cut bait, but no authority to ask the person to leave, unless it is given to you.

The question is, to whom does OBOB belong and what kind of house is it?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

nyj

Goodbye, my puppy
Feb 5, 2002
USA
Visit site
✟39,238.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Jerome, did you read my rule suggestion? That should answer your question.

If the house belongs to those who do not love the teachings of the Catholic Church, I would not want to stay. I'll take my five years of experience in this forum and leave. If the house belongs to those who love the teachings of the Catholic Church, then those teachings should serve as the standard and be upheld. I should not have to listen, however patiently people think I should, to a constant degrading of the teachings of the Catholic Church.

Upvote 0
R

RoseofLima

Because the post consistently a belief or system of beliefs which is inimical to Catholicism.
But there are people out there who absolutely identify themselves as Catholics-who go to Mass and are active in their parishes....
...and might believe that Vatican II is not infallible-or whatever.

If they just post the same thing over and again- won't the average person catch on and just ignore them?? Someone can post a reasonable response and then not engage in further dialogue.

Upvote 0
R

RoseofLima

You have the choice to cut bait, but no authority to ask the person to leave, unless it is given to you.

The question is, to whom does OBOB belong and what kind of house is it?
That was my thought, too-- I like the idea of family even tolerating it's more eccentric and annoying members....

Upvote 0

nyj

Goodbye, my puppy
Feb 5, 2002
USA
Visit site
✟39,238.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
But there are people out there who absolutely identify themselves as Catholics-who go to Mass and are active in their parishes....
...and might believe that Vatican II is not infallible-or whatever.
If someone identifies themselves as Catholic, yet helps out at an abortion clinic ... they are not Catholic, despite their claims to the contrary.

Upvote 0

nyj

Goodbye, my puppy
Feb 5, 2002
USA
Visit site
✟39,238.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
That was my thought, too-- I like the idea of family even tolerating it's more eccentric and annoying members....
Depends on what you wish to tolerate. I would not allow a eccentic, annoying, pedophile uncle (for example), to hang out at a family function. I especially wouldn't sit him at the childrens table.

It boils down to the teachings being discussed. For example, altar girls is one thing, female priests ... that's another. Married priests, that could be argued fair enough since both have been found in tradition. It depends on the subject. It depends on the poster who decides they want to discuss bucking Catholic teaching. It depends on many factors, but I would argue against the notion that we should always allow it. That makes no sense. If that's the case ... I suggest we simply disband OBOB, because if we stand for anything, we really stand for nothing.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
R

RoseofLima

Look- what if someone claims to be Catholic, but is divorced and remarried....but refraining from communion? What if someone is using condoms or the Pill on the okay of their parish priest? What if someone is pushing for a change in the structure of Bishop's Conferences?

Are they Catholic enough? Where is the line with who gets to be considered Catholic?

Upvote 0

nyj

Goodbye, my puppy
Feb 5, 2002
USA
Visit site
✟39,238.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Look- what if someone claims to be Catholic, but is divorced and remarried....but refraining from communion? What if someone is using condoms or the Pill on the okay of their parish priest? What if someone is pushing for a change in the structure of Bishop's Conferences?

Are they Catholic enough? Where is the line with who gets to be considered Catholic?
Strawman.

No one is arguing the Catholicity of individuals. We're arguing the Catholicity of the arguments allowed to be made in OBOB, which is the Catholic forum of CF. It makes sense that Catholic teaching be upheld in the Catholic forum. No? There is a clear difference between the the individual and the arguments. If someone is using condoms on the suggestion of their parish priest, as ill-advised as it is ... fine, whatever, it's their personal issue. But don't come in here and advocate that everyone else can do it too.

Upvote 0

Da_Funkey_Gibbon

I'm just like the others...
Jan 8, 2005
✟20,178.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Anyone's allowed to post, we're just discussing what can and can't be debated in this subforum.

I think RoseofLima's plan would work... if all the posters here had her temperament, but the fact is most don't and without rules regulating the debate in this place, it would turn into GT pretty fast, and I don't really want that to happen.

Upvote 0

nyj

Goodbye, my puppy
Feb 5, 2002
USA
Visit site
✟39,238.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
I'm a firm believer in the Socratic method-I guess I don't see much value in silencing people before they even begin to speak.
Red herring.

Once again, no one said anything about silencing people before they begin to speak. I think I've specifically spoken about this being handled on an individual basis, and is determined by the person who CONTINUALLY runs up against authentic Catholic teaching.

Reactions: Miss Shelby
Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.