✟15,381.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Can God be the author of sin ?

I know that all confession of faith from the Reformers exclude this possibility. And I agree that we should exclude this possibility.
Then what to say about Exodus 32:14
"And the Lord repented of the evil which he thought to do unto his people."

I tried to search for an answer but always they only focus on "the Lord repent' which I think is not a problem. But what about "the evil which he thought to do unto his people."

How would you fit that into the Calvinist narrative ?

I don't think saying that God would allow for evil to be, or saying that God foreordained the use of evil to..
Here it seems that God is not passively using evil but making it Himself.

Thanks for your help guys !

GenemZ

Mar 1, 2004
Atlanta
✟77,342.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Evil was used in more than one way by the ancients.

"Evil" could have been used to speak of some form of calamity or disaster. Like a flood, or forest fire. Or, even sickness.

God disciplines his own at times.

6 For whom the Lord loves He chastens,
And scourges every son whom He receives.” (Hebrews 12:6)

12 because the Lord disciplines those he loves,
as a father the son he delights in." (Proverbs 3:12)

And .. when needed.. God will bring on unbearable disasters for those who are too far gone in rebelion. God weeds out his garden at times. Those whom he approves of are caused to remain to continue growing in grace and truth. Or, like Stephen, who was martyred and died with glorious peace.

Those who remain unrepentant and continue to stubbornly play games with God, end up suffering the sin onto death. 1 John 5:16

16 If you see any brother or sister commit a sin that does not lead to death,
you should pray and God will give them life. I refer to those whose sin does
not lead to death. There is a sin that leads to death. I am not saying that you
should pray about that.
grace and peace....

Upvote 0

GenemZ

Mar 1, 2004
Atlanta
✟77,342.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Does not a parent warn a child that if he does something wrong they will be made to hurt about something? If the parent sees repentance, he may change his mind and withdraw the punishment. So what is the big deal? In those days a father could have told his misbehaving son... "If you continue doing that, I will make you hurt (bring on an evil)!"

They used certain words differently back then. Someone who says God is the author of evil is too short-sighted and unwilling to find answers. That is why God gave us passages that confuse us. So we would seek Him. And, to expose the hearts of men who feel evil towards God!

Upvote 0

twin1954

Baptist by the Bible
Jun 12, 2011
✟86,544.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
The passage is what is known as an anthropomorphic statement. God uses these when He speaks to us in ways we can grasp. God is not a man and He doesn't act or think as a man does. While He is in no way the Author of sin He did purpose it in His infinite wisdom in order to glorify His great name and do good to His chosen.

Upvote 0