Minnesota
✟7,865.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Democrat
(Trigger Warning for rape; sexual assault; and sexual abuse.)

I look at the topic of abortion through a feminist lens. Because of that, I think that abortion is completely justified in certain cases.

One of these circumstances is with rape, as well as with other forms of sexual abuse, and sexual assault.
If a person is impregnated through any of these means, then they should have the right to get an abortion if they want to. They are dealing with a traumatic experience, and being forced to carry the spawn of their rapist or abuser is unjust. Furthermore, they did not choose to get assaulted, abused, or raped. The victim should never be blamed.

Now, keep in mind that I do not believe that everyone should get an abortion. But, I do believe that special cases do warrant the choice. Realistically, however, I'm aware that just giving survivors the option wouldn't work, unless we were to give the option to all, because of our society's rape culture.

Thoughts?

Paradoxum

Liberty, Equality, Solidarity!
Sep 16, 2011
✟28,188.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
Well I'd say abortion is acceptable in most cases. Fetus' have no right to life. We are fine with killing animals like cows, and fetus' are less mentally developed than a cow. There's no reason to think a fetus has any more rights than such animals.

Basing the right to life on being human makes no sense since being human is just biological structure. It would be no different from saying that white people have the right to life because they have white skin. Basing rights on species is superficial and shallow, like racism.

Thoughts?

You could defend abortion on the basis of a woman's bodily integrity, but that would probably apply to most cases, not just the ones you mention.

Upvote 0

SaltwaterHeart

A Christian Furry And A Christian Brony
Mar 12, 2014
Minnesota
✟7,865.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Democrat
Well I'd say abortion is acceptable in most cases.

You could defend abortion on the basis of a woman's bodily integrity, but that would probably apply to most cases, not just the ones you mention.

This is true. A person* does have a right to their body, regardless of who they are. There needs to be a level of respect for that. I just wouldn't want people to get an abortion, because of the lack of sex ed and/or contraceptives.

Well I'd say abortion is acceptable in most cases. Fetus' have no right to life. We are fine with killing animals like cows, and fetus' are less mentally developed than a cow. There's no reason to think a fetus has any more rights than such animals.

Basing the right to life on being human makes no sense since being human is just biological structure. It would be no different from saying that white people have the right to life because they have white skin. Basing rights on species is superficial and shallow, like racism.

I haven't thought of that! That is true, too - Animals are intelligent beings, who's lives are valued; and yet we kill them, constantly, for ourselves. This isn't to say that meat is bad, but it is a valid point.

* I say, "person," because there are genderqueer people who can get pregnant.

Upvote 0

poolerboy0077

Jun 9, 2013
✟1,625.00
Faith
Atheist

I look at the topic of abortion through a feminist lens. Because of that, I think that abortion is completely justified in certain cases.

One of these circumstances is with rape, as well as with other forms of sexual abuse, and sexual assault.
If a person is impregnated through any of these means, then they should have the right to get an abortion if they want to. They are dealing with a traumatic experience, and being forced to carry the spawn of their rapist or abuser is unjust. Furthermore, they did not choose to get assaulted, abused, or raped. The victim should never be blamed.

Now, keep in mind that I do not believe that everyone should get an abortion. But, I do believe that special cases do warrant the choice. Realistically, however, I'm aware that just giving survivors the option wouldn't work, unless we were to give the option to all, because of our society's rape culture.

Thoughts?
Supporting abortion in the case of rape but not in general doesn't seem to make any sense. If you consider the fetus to be an individual at 24 days and deserving of life, that it's the product of rape ought to be immaterial, yes? Do you also believe that people who are born the victim of rape ought to be second-class citizens?

Upvote 0

Cearbhall

May 10, 2013
United States
✟122,284.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
I was going to say that maybe this thread should go somewhere else, but I'm not sure where. Here, you're mainly going to get a bunch of people like myself who say "Of course it is" and also think it's justified in all cases. But I'm not sure if the opinions that you've expressed here would be allowed in an orthodox Christians-only board.

Upvote 0

Autumnleaf

Legend
Jun 18, 2005
✟33,297.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Abortion is killing a young human being. It seems to me like someone getting raped and then conspiring with a doctor to get an abortion is like killing an innocent person as a result of someone else raping you. The rape would be traumatic enough, but the abortion icing on the cake might lead to mental issues...

'Oh Al, stop that name calling nonsense.'

Is it nonsense?

Abortion and mental health disorders: evidence from a 30-year longitudinal study

"After adjustment for confounding, abortion was associated with a small increase in the risk of mental disorders; women who had had abortions had rates of mental disorder that were about 30% higher. There were no consistent associations between other pregnancy outcomes and mental health. Estimates of attributable risk indicated that exposure to abortion accounted for 1.5% to 5.5% of the overall rate of mental disorders."

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

SaltwaterHeart

A Christian Furry And A Christian Brony
Mar 12, 2014
Minnesota
✟7,865.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Democrat
"After adjustment for confounding, abortion was associated with a small increase in the risk of mental disorders; women who had had abortions had rates of mental disorder that were about 30% higher. There were no consistent associations between other pregnancy outcomes and mental health. Estimates of attributable risk indicated that exposure to abortion accounted for 1.5% to 5.5% of the overall rate of mental disorders."

This is a valid point, and should be looked at.
However, considering as this is a small increase (only affecting 1.5% to 5.5%), and 31% rape victims experience PTSD, 30% experience a major depressive episode, 33% have thought about committing suicide, and 20% have abused alcohol, I feel like, because these numbers are greater (and, ergo, affect more people), they should be looked at more so.
Source.

Do you also believe that people who are born the victim of rape ought to be second-class citizens?

No, not at all. All I am saying, is that the person should have a choice in whether or not they want to keep a fetus that has been conceived out of an experience that was traumatic for them.

Upvote 0

poolerboy0077

Jun 9, 2013
✟1,625.00
Faith
Atheist
All I am saying, is that the person should have a choice in whether or not they want to keep a fetus that has been conceived out of an experience that was traumatic for them.
And by not extending the choice of abortion to those whose fetuses are not the product of rape, you are essentially suggesting that any other fetus merits life...except for those who are the product of rape. Then it's okay to terminate that life because it might be an emotional inconvenience.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

quatona

"God"? What do you mean??
May 15, 2005
✟175,292.00
Faith
Seeker

Thoughts?
In my experience the arguments against abortion are of two categories:
1. Those that argue from the fetus ("life is sacred", "fetusses are human life/persons/individuals", "fetusses have human rights" etc.).
2. Those that are mainly concerned with and intended to control women´s morality/sexuality ("It´s her fault", "She should have crossed her legs", "She had the choice..." etc.).

Now, arguing for abortion in case of rape renders all #1 arguments invalid.
(Once we accept these arguments as valid, they apply no matter the circumstances of the conception).
Seeing that - as you say - you are looking at the topic through a feminist lense I am assuming that you aren´t very happy with the #2 arguments, either.

Thus it seems to me that once you argue for abortion in the case of rape, you remain pretty much empty-handed if you want to argue against abortion in any case.

Upvote 0

grasping the after wind

That's grasping after the wind
Jan 18, 2010
Clarence Center NY USA
✟237,637.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
In my experience the arguments against abortion are of two categories:
1. Those that argue from the fetus ("life is sacred", "fetusses are human life/persons/individuals", "fetusses have human rights" etc.).
2. Those that are mainly concerned with and intended to control women´s morality/sexuality ("It´s her fault", "She should have crossed her legs", "She had the choice..." etc.).

Now, arguing for abortion in case of rape renders all #1 arguments invalid.
(Once we accept these arguments as valid, they apply no matter the circumstances of the conception).
Seeing that - as you say - you are looking at the topic through a feminist lense I am assuming that you aren´t very happy with the #2 arguments, either.

Thus it seems to me that once you argue for abortion in the case of rape, you remain pretty much empty-handed if you want to argue against abortion in any case.

No, you have the revenge argument to fall back on and the self defense argument. Both very powerful emotional arguments that people find justifies many actions besides abortion in the case of rape. Whether the revenge argument is moral or not is questionable but the self defense argument is clearly considered morally sound by the vast majority of people. I think it is refreshing that the OP admits that her political philosophy informs her moral views as most Christians refuse to do this and instead insist that it is their religious rather than their political beliefs that motivate them in moral matters .

Upvote 0